mote572

Sep 20, 2001
hydraulic clutch fluid

Alternative clutch fluid? Does anyone use something besides KTM mineral oil. I have to save a $ were I can. I was thinking about just reg mineral oil or maybe baby oil.

Last edited:

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
Baby oil????????????? I can see it now - broke down on the trail miles from civilization, "Boy, you sho smell purdy!":p

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
Long Answer:
I broke my clutch hydraulic line within two months of getting my '99 300EXC. I replaced it with a much more durable steel braided one from Enduro Engineering. At that time I asked the dealer what to use for fluid and they suggested using common mineral oil, available at any drug store for about a dollar a quart, which is a lifetimes worth. As maintenance, I have replaced the fluid twice in the 3 years since then. I have had absolutely no problems with the hydraulic system in those 3 years.

Short Answer: Mineral Oil

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I use 5wt - 10wt Belray fork oil. I've used it in all of our KTM juice clutches since 98 with no problems.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
An even shorter answer

Baby oil, mineral oil, the oil from Kirsten Dunst's hair in Crazy/Beautiful...doesn't matter. Use what you want, but don't use brake fluid.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
>Spectro now has a mineral hydraulic clutch fluid (S.A.E. 10). Retails at $6.95 for a 8 oz. bottle

Let's see....they've taken their 10 wt fork oil, packaged it in a neat little bottle, called it something else and are selling it for...$27.80/quart. My GOD!!

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I use fork oil for the simple fact it works great and I don't have to keep track of more bottles of gunk.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Better yet for consolidation of fluids....ATF in the gearbox, forks, and juice clutch.

Baby oil? LOL, I think not.

If you want more info, do a search on this subject. Mucho more info has been hashed through on this one.

Top Bottom