kytrailrider

Feb 25, 2008
I am looking for a clutch setup that has a consistant pull force. When I am riding a tight single track and use alot of clutch action, I get a tired forearm. I am sort of a newby rider.
Maybe need a better cable set up with more adjustments. Why do some bikes (KTM) use hydraulic cluthes?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
kytrailrider said:
Why do some bikes (KTM) use hydraulic cluthes?

For exactly the reasons you want one - easier and more consistant pull.

As a compromise, you might look into replacing your stock cable with a high quality cable and adding an adjust on the fly system like this http://www.flyracing.com/products/hard-parts/mx-road/clutch-levers

You can spin the adjuster while riding and barely have to slow down.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
I think going to a hydraulic clutch is a little bit overkill myself. As you said, you are a new rider and it may just be the case of getting used to the clutch and building some muscle to suit. I personally use a 2 finger shory lever and I just exercised my fingers to strengthen them, works fine for me. I agree with Dirt Bike Dave in regard to a good quality cable (with a teflon liner or something nice and slippery). Also have a look at your cable routing to make sure it is as bend free as possible. The other thing you may want to look at is the position of your levers for your riding position. Arm pump around the wrist and forearm is also a common thing for newby riders and is something that kind of becomes less of an issue over time as you build muscle to suit. Personally I'd be doing hand, finger and forearm strengthening exercises and combine that with a nice new slippery clutch cable if I were you.

The other thing you may want to look at is why you are doing so much clutch work on the tight single track, maybe have a look at your gearing as the kdx should not really require a lot of clutch work unless there is a lot of start/stop.

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
A related riding technique tip is to train yourself not to grip the bars tight. So your arms stay fresher.

A decent cable is only like $20+- and it will probably make a noticeable difference.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I use a asv short lever and the cable the bike came with I just put a shopvac, a rubber glove and a rag to fill in the space on the engine side of the cable and turn on the vac and feed alot of oil threw the lever side of the cable while working the cable back and forth.... I have the cable disconnected from the lever of course.....

try a new cable if this technic don't work for you

If you think the kdx wears you out try a yami wr for one day... well I have not done this maintenance to the wr ...I am just totally of it bike all together..sorry

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I agree with those who have said a fresh cable, properly routed, should give you a light clutch pull. My '06 KDX has a very soft pull, using the stock (long) clutch lever. A shorty lever will increase clutch effort, it's a simple matter of leverage. The only way to decrease clutch pull effort is to either put lighter springs in the clutch or to increase clutch lever range of motion (either at the grip or at the clutch arm)....it's a simple matter of leverage ratios, not method of actuation.
The suggestion to build up your clutch hand strength is good. More trail riding experience will do this and you will also find that as you gain more and more experience, you will need to use the clutch less and less.

stevewr450f

Nov 22, 2006
I have a magura clutch for my 04 KDX. Really like it. Yes, a fresh OEM cable works but the magura is better. Just depends if you want to blow $200 on it.

samiam

Jan 3, 2000
FYI - I installed a lever from a '96 DR650 and it resulted in a much narrower engagement/disengagement range (which I like). Pull seems a little bit tougher, but it does not bother me, and it is a fair trade for the quicker clutch action, and cleaner disengagement. Keep in mind that any modification to the system, overall, will affect the friction range and lever pull. On some bikes, folks have welded small extensions onto the steel clutch arm, reducing pull effort, but requiring more lever pull distance. There is no free lunch.

Top Bottom