firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well I busted off my clutch perch--luckily the small piece, not the master cylinder housing--last weekend. No handguard speeches please, I know. :| Just called KTM . . . $34.95!!! Just for what they call a clamp kit--two bolts and the little clamp!!! You're KIDDING me! That seems exorbitant for a tiny piece of pot metal. Does ANYBODY make an aftermarket one?

On a side note, anybody ever taken their hydraulic clutch off and replaced it with a standard one? Cheap perch and lever availability seems to be a fair trade when I don't ride hard enough to notice the advantages of a hydraulic clutch. Just a thought.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks for the link. But they're in Australia--shipping would be more than the part! Have you ordered from them? Do they have an American distributor? Are there any American companies making something similar? I already looked at E-Rider and Enduro Engineering, didn't see anything there.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Dennis Kirk sells replacement parts for the Magura hydraulic clutch, including the clamp (part number 571176; $13.99 last time I bought one). The appearance is like '00-01 model clutch bracket (kind of a tan-metallic color), but it fits perfectly on the '98-99 models as well.

More cheaper alternatives to KTM OEM parts at http://www.geocities.com/aa21830/Cheap.html

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I just changed out Denises 98 master for a newer 9.5mm master.
PM me your adress and I'll send you her old clamp.
BTW, parts unlimited sell new clutch masters for 100$ as a replacement part for the juice clutch kit.

BikeDstroyer

Jun 30, 2001
FC here is a small tech tip just incase you haven't already done this. Once you get your perch fixed wrap some teflon tape around the handlebar where you mount the perch. This allows the perch to rotate incase of a crash without breaking the perch or lever. Do this on both the clutch and brake side.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Good tip, BikeDstroyer. Also, tighten the clutch and brake perch clamps with a nut driver only - that's about all they can handle. I broke my clutch clamp from over-tightening with a ratchet.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Why go to all the trouble of wrapping damn teflon tape on the bars when you just run the bolts in the clamp alittle looser than normal. Tight enough to stay in place loose enough to where if it takes a hit it spins same thing just no hassles with tape...just keep an eye on the bolts!

BikeDstroyer

Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by MXP1MP
Why go to all the trouble of wrapping damn teflon tape on the bars when you just run the bolts in the clamp alittle looser than normal. Tight enough to stay in place loose enough to where if it takes a hit it spins same thing just no hassles with tape...just keep an eye on the bolts!

Have you ever lost your bolts? When you do you will wish you spent the 2 min. it took to wrap teflon tape around where the perch goes. You make it seem like it is a big ordeal to do.

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
FC, first you have problems camping during Memorial Weekend and now you are crashing....... Better slow down. Yea, I agree with the teflon tape trick under the clamps. There's a lot of reasons companies provide the teflon with new replacement perches. Keep the rubber side down.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I did have Teflon tape on it, actually. I tipped over on a log which forced the lever away from the bar toward the tripleclamp, rather than up or down.

Thanks for the tips on the aftermarket one. I found one in stock at the small, dusty little hole-in-the-wall KTM dealer instead of the new shiny big dealer, go figure.

I crash all the time--just sometimes a little more expensively than others.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by KaTooMer
I broke my clutch clamp from over-tightening with a ratchet.
Only you man... only you. :scream:

Top Bottom