Did one of those "slow falls" last weekend on the clutch side of my
300 EXC. Shortly after that the clutch started getting spongey and
eventually went away all together. I took the cover off of the clutch
master cylinder and there was some but not much murky-looking fluid
still in it. The conditions were dusty and I could not see any fluid
leaking from anyplace. After I got back home I tried putting ATF in
and bleeding the clutch several times but am not able to get any
pressure. Anyone have any idea what the problem is? Is the master
cylinder shot and need a rebuild? Thanks for any help...

Brian.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Did you back bleed the system with a syringe? If so, and you can't get any pressure, I would looking to into the reservoir for a damaged seal. I believe KTM makes a rebuild kit, like they do for the front brake reservoir.

The ATF should be synthetic or Type F. Otherwise, fork oil works.

Last edited:

woodsdude

Mar 31, 2000
MA
I filled the resevoir with ATf, put the cover on, and tried to pump it. I then opened the bleeder on the bottom and the fluid came out but no air. I could not get any pressure at all. Where would one get a back-bleed kit (symrige)?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Bike shop, Or Auto parts store. Actually any large syringe that will accept a small fuel line on the end of it will work. Put the syringe on the slave cylinder fitting full of fluid, loosen the filling with an open end wrench. The reservoir cover is still removed. It is a little messy, so put something underneath the reservoir. Push the syringe plunger slowly to remove all the air, and voila' you should now have a clutch. Good LucK

woodsdude

Mar 31, 2000
MA
Thanks for the info. I was able to locate a big plastic syringe and had some fuel line. The clutch is now working fine after a transfusion of ATF. Apparently I need to keep a closer eye on the fluid level in the reservoir.

XRstroker

Feb 26, 2001
Hey Strick......

......while your on the subject kinda I was wondering how do i check how much fluid is in my 99 300 mxc hydraulic clutch? I was looking at it tonite and trying to guess how much fluid it has in it. Also another question on fluid and greasing.....How do i know when to regrease my swingarm and other greasable areas like that? and how do i check the brake fluid level in the front brake, i think i know how to on the rear.

sorry to take away from your post woodsdude, but I ended up having more questions then i thought i did, heh.

thx
ex-XRstroker ( I really need to change my name, lol)

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
there is a rubber o-ring and plastic disk inside the lower part that
seems to go bad on them around here they are sold as on peice;)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
XR - Glad to see that name change (better dead than red!) Kidding Guys and Gals!! :p

To check the hydraulic fluid you must remove the cap off of the reservoir.

The front brake reservoir has a window on the throttle side. Rear brake reservoir is under the seat, and sits at an angle (?).

Greasing is a function of conditions, intial greasing (and type of grease used), amount of riding, and if you pressure wash directly on these areas. I am an every 6 months guy on greasing and fork oil changes, but there is not real precipitation here. Muddy conditions are very rare!

Top Bottom