fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
HAS ANY BODY TRIED ONE OF THESE HYDRAULIC CLUTCHS FROM MAGURA. WAS THINKING ABOUT GETTING ONE. IF SO PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THOUGHT ABOUT IT. OR IF YOU KNOW ANYBODY ELSE THAT HAS HAD ONE. THANKS ...........FAST 200

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
P.S I FORGET IF THESE CLUTHES ARE SO GOOD WITH 20 PERCENT LESS PULL AND NO ADJUSTMENT. WHY DONT I SEE THE BIG DOGS IN RACING USING THEM . LIKE FACTORY TEAMS

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
I think there's a slight "feel"/ease-of-pull tradeoff. You see more hydraulic clutches on bikes set up for endurance events.

I'm interested too, has anybody tried one on a KDX?

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
Factory KTM uses them, but they come with 'em. Most riders are already accustomed to normal cable clutches. They are a bit easier to pull, but instead of just taking the slack out of a cable you've got to bleed it. I've also heard of the Magura ones breaking a lot.

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
I've got one on my 426 and I don't think it was worth the cake. It works well, but does not seem to really reduce the pull until you use a lighter fluid in it, like 5w suspension oil. When it comes time to adjust for clutch wear it is something of a pain on my bike, I can't speak for the KDX.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Hey kci H, do you use Zippo lighter fluid on your YZ :) Just kidding. My riding buddy has a 99 YZ400 and he could use a hydraulic clutch. He cleaned and lubed his cable the other day, but it's still like holding onto a water ski rope to shift gears. I tend to use my clutch a lot in the tight twisty stuff here and it seems as though my hand rarely gets tired even on the 50 mile days. Why would you want switch over to the hydraulic ones? Seems like another thing that once broken out in the boondoc's would make for an interesting ride back to the truck. kci H have you ever or seen anyone operate a "drained due to crash" hydraulic clutch, how well does it work or not work?

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Gee...seems there are different points of view, 'eh?

Posts of some kdx'ers say they love 'em (brenda, I think, for one). As mentioned, the magura on my riding buddy's ktm seems useless to me. Less than worthless, actually. Considering the levers and perches I've broken, I'd sure hate to see the life blood of my clutch activator oozing out on the ground after a crash. I carry levers and a perch for on-the-trail fixes.....that ain't gonna happen with an hydraulic setup.

If the kdx clutch is too hard to pull, there's something else wrong. It's not the clutch that's the problem (unless you've put some monster springs in..which you shouldn't have cuz they aren't necessary).

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
I run a set of heavy duty bark busters when I ride, so I don't really worry about the breakage. If I broke the the slave cylinder, it would be a lot like bending the pro-tapers, I likely wouldn't be worried about riding for a while. If you're itching to spend $200-250 (or more, depending on brand) to have a juice clutch, get one, but they are not worth the money to me.

Last edited:

Mike198

Jul 8, 2002
i was riding a 02 125 sx with one of those hydraulic clutches. it wasnt to big of a difference for me, i liked the regular one beacuse its easier to adjust and its doesnt cost much to replace a broken perch or lever.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom