jjman9

Dec 14, 2003
I am 5'11'' 170lbs.. I am on a limited budget though, I have around maybe 3600USD, I don't think there are any new 125's I could afford for under 4k... I am not really into lookin for a used ride.. I have been looking for a FAST bike, any suggestions?

coleman

Jan 4, 2003
For 3600 you should be able to afford a 2000+ 125 easily. However, I would look for a 2001 yz250f. I've seen quite a few of them for sale for around 3500. In fact, there's one for sale on this site for 3500. I'm 17, 5'9 and 160lbs and I ride a yz250f. It's a great bike and I think you would really like it.

coleman

Jan 4, 2003
Opps, didnt see that you were looking for a new bike only. In that case I don't think there is much you can get thats decent or FAST as you put it.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
GET A KDX 220 they are a really good all around bike that can perform great for yrs without any serv at all. they can also run with 250s given a good rider. you can even ride at night if you want. truelly a budget machine.

its not the wickedest mxr but ive seen an elderly gentlemen gain some respect from 450s and 250s. a totally stock bike out ran many $8000 play toys. Definetly a sight everyone should get the rights to see.
Im talking about going from the woods straight to the mx track. Either direction it was turned all it needed was dirt.
its all about whatcha gonna do when get 2breed this new toy.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
At 5'11", 170 lbs and 16 years of age, you won't find fast on a 125, IMO. (I have to assume {!} that you have the experience to handle a fast bike.) 250 two strokes are plentiful and plenty fast. And if you have cajones el grande (and the skills to back 'em up), 500 two strokes are an incredible bargain for adrenalin addicts.

But for $3600 you'll have to look at used. And really you ought to be able to find a 2-3 yr old bike in very nice shape for that kind of money.

78kl250a

Jan 20, 2003
i have to agree with RAHRAH, i think you should look at a KDX, but i think you should get the 200, not the 220, the 200 is supposed to have more top end while the 220 has more bottom end, look on the KDX forum here, you will find out everything you need to know about them. if you go the the dealership and talk to them about money, and are good at bargining, you ahould be able to get the 200 for $3700 out the door. i know this for a fact because i almost bought one, but i wanted a 4 stroke and ended up with a wr250f. the thing about the Kdx is that the front suspension is not the greatest, but if you look through the KDX forum you will find that for around $40 you could get a set of xr springs or i think from one of the sponsers page you can get stiffer springs, and that bike is a well proven bike that has limitless possibilities with upgrades. but whatever you decide, have fun!

jjman9

Dec 14, 2003
Thanks for the replies guys... I will check that KDX out.. I fogot to mention, I don't think I will racing or anything, I just have a amount of long fireroads and such around here... I have experiance with the honda crf230f and it seemed to be the right size... It runs a good 75mph on pavement too, my friend has a kx100 and its pretty nice, I have never ridden it tho (he is 140lbs or so) but for a play bike, a kx100 with new pipes and mods. will rip for the most part (from what I have heard, I don't know about that if it was under a 170lbs dude..) any other suggestions? Thanks,

-Jack

coleman

Jan 4, 2003
Don't waste your money on a kdx. I had one and compared to my yz250f it sucked. The motor is good, although its not that strong, but the suspension and everything else sucks.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
You should save up your money bc a Kdx 22/200 is too expensive. those things are th cheapest things you will ever ride. Bar none. with the acception of a KX125 that got stolen from me. someones riding on me. Id be pissed having to buy the expensive 4st oil to change on a constant basis. arent you still in school. are you tired of doing homework? You would get tired of your new bike needing its valves checked too. you really wouldnt want 2b able to afford the other things that it takes to keep those newbies a newbie. Most of the bike you get to read about are only good in some locations (Like the place they actually took the test at)
were do you live and will you be trail riding? if your only gonna ream the bike out down fire roads I cant recommend that you blow up anything but a pw50. fill us in. the more we know the better we can help you

Yz250FinAZ

Dec 15, 2003
ya, i agree if your only gonna ride it up and down the road getting a big bike would be a big waste of money. And even tho if you want you can trick out a 50. if you are gonna be trail riding a Yamaha YZ250F is a great bike. Im 14 yrs old "5'5 and 115 lbs. I really couldnt tell you haw the suspension is becuz i have pro action susp. on mine. nvr put the stock one on. but the engine is strong.

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
Search for some deals. You should get a ktm200exc. I would rather have that over a kdx 200.

a buddy of mine is selling a 01 ktm 200 exc. It has hardly no hours. He was gona race it, but never got around to it. its been sitting for over a year and a half. Still has the original chain and sprockets. Bike has minor scratches, still looks new. Anyways, I would buy it, but i want a brand new 250 4-stroke. He wants a lil over 3000, which is a good deal in my opinion. Look around, you will find something.
Help us help you. Exactly, what kind of riding will you be doing besides goin up the road. I know you arent gona be racing, but will you be on a small track? woods riding? or what. I think a big bore is a waste for you. You will prolly be satisfied with either a baby thumper 250 4 stroke enduro or 200enduro. But thats figuring you'll do mainyl woods riding.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
I hate to see this, buy a 2 year old kdx, and learn to maintain the bike then learn to ride, itll wipe the floor with the 230f. And a 250f as a very 1st bike will get you hurt.

jjman9

Dec 14, 2003
mybad on not explaining myself thoroughly, I will be doing mostly woods or trail riding.. I don't plan on racing any time soon... I ride the 230f every weekend and its fun, but I have ridden other bikes and the 230 just doesnt compare.. I have been riding almost every/everyother weekend for about a year now, and I know what I am doing for the most part:) But my parents don't know **** about dirtbikes, and I am a little short on cash...To make a long story short, since my parents are not really into the whole scene, I doubt they would let me blow 3500 bucks on a used ride from someone "they" do not know.. I know its kindof hard to understand, but I hope that you guys get the idea..

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
You have a lot of options for $3500 if you buy used. You could always buy used from a reputable dealer, if your folks have an issue. The closest “new” bike to what you want price-wise is probably the KDX 200. The parts and operation costs are going to be lower than say, a KTM. As mentioned here, a new KTM200 is a great bike, but a lot more money. To say a stock YZ250F or KTM 200 is better than a stock KDX is like saying a Lexus is better than Taurus. Maybe so, but if you can’t afford the Lexus, what’s the point? And guess, what? They’re not so far apart that a better rider on the KDX can’t embarrass lesser riders in anything other than a straight line drag race. A KDX has certain advantages for the budget minded: It’s reliable. It’s well known an has been around long enough that there is a TON of hop up and modification advice to make it go faster and work better. Open up the airbox, add an FMF pipe, and rejet - and the KDX will rip

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Theres no point on blowin' 3.5Gs on a 125 MXer if you're trail riding. Not that they're bad trail bikes but you would have to hop them up to really have the right bike. A 250F(or CRF250X/WR250F) would work and your can race them if you want. Better yet a KDX(200) or EXC. Don't worry about the speed; normaly a KDX would blow a 250 four stroke away but now there pretty close. Mainly there's no reason to buy new if you can get a nice used bike. Used KDX's('95 or newer) start at $1800. KTM EXC's will be slightly more. 250F's vary depending on cond., year, and brand. Hope this helps.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Try this, (I have parents too), bring your dad or mom(both), to a good dealer, explain your situation, let the dealer reassure your parents, and take the dealers advise on which bike to get(Remember, you buy a bike off a dealer ,theyll always look after you on parts and tech help), If it was me i would buy a late used bike, remember it hurts the pocket more if you crash new!

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by jjman9
I called my local dealer, and they have a 03 125sx for sale for 3200 usd (new)...

jjman, where do you live? I though that i found a deal for you when a saw THIS .

3,200 for a new 125 sx, dam, i might just want to get in on that deal.

Top Bottom