Status
Not open for further replies.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
11: NEEDLE VALVE SET
(5NY1) 1137-001 Invalid $27.87, Replace this yearly! It will dump fuel into your engine,regardless of turning the gas petcock off,it does it when you turn it on! The float may even appear to work correctly,while you are riding it is puking fuel in! 10 year old bike,has anyone been drilling their own holes? Are the slide and needle in good shape? Have you removed and inspected the choke valve? Do you have an adjustable choke/idle? Are the floats properly set? How are the reeds and intake? On a 125 you are insane to run es plugs! Remember what this bike was made for! You never idle it for 5 minutes,radiators are warm it is good to go. Choke for a second,if necessary! Using the choke can tell you if it is rich or lean,so can looking at the plug. If the manufacture says 32:1 then what the hell is the deal that everyone has to go and screw with it! UNBELIEVABLE and yet,wait a week! It is basic,it is simple and routine,and it says so in the manual! Air filters,clean,dry,oil and wring out,DONE! Other than allowing time to dry the filter,I would guess this can be done in a couple hours.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I warm my bike up by putting hot water through the radiators until the engine gets up to the right temp. Then I start it and it runs fine :laugh: :nener:

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
Anyways, it's still acting up :yell: .

I'm gonna go buy a new air filter today, see if that helps :|

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
When the bottom end goes,it runs crappy. When the top end goes it runs the best,then implodes! In my opinion! Compete engine kits from hotrod for 320 dollars. Some guys spend that throwing electric and brass parts at the bike like a dartboard! Or my favorite,jury rig it so it will last a little longer,then implodes and cost double in parts! A 125 that runs on race gas will eat rings in 5 hours,some,pistons in 7. A bottom end somewhere between the 2nd or 3rd piston! Used bikes you do not know,320 dollars is a good peace of mind,and keeps you riding instead of on the computer!

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I can't believe someone is suggesting a new bottom end for something that is probably not a problem at all. 2-strokes run crappy when the pipe is cold. Dropping the pilot jet 2 sizes may help a little. There is likely nothing at all wrong with the bike. Oh, bottom ends rarely give you signs they're going to let go. If you're lucky, you'll lose a crank seal as a result of the failing bottom end and catch it before you start pumping bearings through the cylinder. I lost a crank bearing, I caught it in time because I could occasionally hear the faintest knock when I let off the thrott.e

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
MXer666 said:
no, when you turn the gas off the gas that is in the carb bowl dries up some and the oil is left behind. When you then turn your gas on the next ride your letting in more gas and oil but in actuallity you have twice as much oil to gas in the carb so when it strts up and fouls thats because of the excess oil.

just my .02

I had a problem with this on my yz250 and this was the problem. Just turn your petcock off for the last min you're letting your bike idle after a ride and this has taken care of the problem for me. Also, if you are like me and clean and oil your air filter all the time, you might be over oiling your filter and that oil drains down into your carb when your bike sits then on start up, bam, fouled plug.

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
Picked up a new air filter today... see what happens.

Thanks for all of the replies guys, really appreciated.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I like to put fresh oiled filters in a bag and hang em up for a night or so. Even when you thought it was all squeezed out, the bag will have mucho oil in the bottom next day. Oil that would also be in the bottom of your air box, had you not hung it to drain. In fact, put your finger in the bottom of your air box now and see if there isn't a puddle of gooey oil. Your carb will definitely pick up on an over-oiled filter, and send it to the combustion chamber. This makes finding the correct jetting fairly tough.

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
^That's a good point. It is pretty sticky in there. I'll have to clean it out good.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
76GMC1500 said:
I can't believe someone is suggesting a new bottom end for something that is probably not a problem at all. 2-strokes run crappy when the pipe is cold. Dropping the pilot jet 2 sizes may help a little. There is likely nothing at all wrong with the bike. Oh, bottom ends rarely give you signs they're going to let go. If you're lucky, you'll lose a crank seal as a result of the failing bottom end and catch it before you start pumping bearings through the cylinder. I lost a crank bearing, I caught it in time because I could occasionally hear the faintest knock when I let off the thrott.e
As fast as you think you ride your bike,your issues and answers tell more about how fast you really are! A top 100 rider riding your bike when the seal went would have scattered the motor in seconds! And no, some experienced racers run them till they do not move also! You riding it and you have jetting and fouled plugs,someone else and it is lean,loose and about to grenade! Changing plugs,extreme jetting changes,oil ratio changes and sometimes electrical can all be attributed to a worn engine! This is no normal dirtbike,you are riding a MX RACE bike! A tight 2 stroke is the sweetest sound,a loose one is the worst! As bad as hearing your bike got stole! GM I have never argued ship engine mechanics with you,go figure! Very basic mechanics are alike,and that is it!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
wake_rider said:
I had a problem with this on my yz250 and this was the problem. Just turn your petcock off for the last min you're letting your bike idle after a ride and this has taken care of the problem for me. Also, if you are like me and clean and oil your air filter all the time, you might be over oiling your filter and that oil drains down into your carb when your bike sits then on start up, bam, fouled plug.
This is a classic work around for float,float valve issues,you should replace the valve every year! Cleaning your carb may take care of it. If it does it over night,it does it while you are riding it,hey I hope your engine does not throw a spark out!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You have to use a completely dry filter,no moisture. Oil the snot out of it,then wring it out till no more drips,like doing laundry by hand. If you oil a damp filter,or do not wring throughly,it will not run properly and likely foul a plug! Because the carb is restricted! Unless you have a grease-less seal,you have to seal with grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom