firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well I finally stopped at a pawn shop and found a used mountain bike for a decent price. It's a Trek (good brand?) with forks, not the fancy adjustable ones though. It says 800 Port on it if that tells you anything about the model. I know nothing. It's a little beat up, needs front brake pads and a new seat and rear tire, but the front tire is good and it seems to shift properly. I dickered with the guy so the final price was $70--please tell me I got a deal. I don't know enough.

Anyway, Reese bought one too so now we can rehab our knees together and hopefully get out on the trails a little too and learn some new skills. It looks like fun.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Very cool! If yer gonna ride a lot, those gel seats are OFTLY nice when you go to replace the current one. When you say forks, do ya mean front shocks? That'd be very cool for a $70 bike even if they're NOT adjustable. Congrads, have fun, and come meet us in Moab with that thing sometime!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Moab? :eek: I've seen pictures, and know I'm not up to that! I had a time getting up the little hill by my house! Of course I'm not quite sure I know how the gears work. That sounds silly I know but I haven't had a bicycle since I got my license. It has a shifter on the left, and one on the right. 21-speed, Reese says. I'll get the hang of it.

Gel seat, you say? Thanks, I'll remember that. I might buy some shorts too . . . I wore my khakis and they kind of bunched up in a uncomfortable place. :eek:

It does have front shocks. It seems fairly light for a bike. I want to paint it bright electric blue--Reese shook his head in disgust when I brought the subject up. But if I clear coat over it, it will look ok, and it won't take much to rattlecan the frame. He just doesn't understand that girls like pretty things.

Anyway, how are you liking the KX? Do you not have the GasGas anymore? I didn't know if you traded it in or have both.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Oh heck, the cool thing about mtn biking in Moab is if ya can't make that hill, then just throw the bike over your sholder and climb up it; LOL! You could ride there no problem; it's WAY more sticky than it looks in the pictures!

The KX is a total kick since the ergos fit perfectly! I knew it the minute I rode DirtyGirly's KX in Reno. I was initially convinced by heresay that it couldn't be a trail bike. But, after riding it on trails, that's wrong. Yes, technical uphills ARE tougher, but everything else is more fun because the bike fits. Downhills are SO much easier due to the ergos. If I were 5'2" it would be different, but I'm 4'10" .... So to make a long story short, I've totally been dragging my feet, but the Gas Gas is for sale (sniff).

bratt

Pain in da butt
Mar 22, 2002
I have found that mountain bikes are much better at providing bruises and scrapes than dirt bikes. Crazy as it sounds I am starting to think that those things are out to get me! :eek: After my 20th trip over the bars I decided to retired my mountain bike to the corner of the patio and stick with dirtbikes, much safer in my opinion ;)

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Rehab for the knees huh. Mountain bikes can be just as hard on the knees as a dirt bike. Trek is a good brand but as for the forks I couldn`t tell you anything about them based off the info you gave. Have fun with your new toy and remember downhills are your friend. I think it`s about time to get my mtb out as well.

Steve

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
FC22, that's a decent deal you got on that bike. Treks have a strong frame and are reasonably light weight. You'll be surprised how fast you learn to do cool tricks on that thing. Think of it as a dirt bike, without the motor. :aj: Enjoy and congrats on the new toy.

racergirl76

Oct 13, 2000
My trek was $300-400 new, w/ regular forks (no suspension)

I also switch the brake cables so the right brake lever stops the Front wheel. I've never gotten into the habit that there is a brake on the left, it's still the clutch to me.

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
Welcome to the wonderful world of mountain biking!! I have been mtn biking for about 5 years now and it is a great cross training tool! Had it not been for mtn biking, I would never have gotten into dirt biking! I, too, have been over the bars many times and the only thing that really bothers me is the lack of protective gear you wear while riding the mtn bike. I have crashed hard, both here and in Colorado, and suffered many bumps and bruises and even cracked my helmut.

As for the Trek---it's good enough for Lance Armstrong and the Postal boys, so I am sure it is plenty good for any of us!! :confused: Sounds like it might be a few years old, but if it works properly have fun and stay on 2 wheels!

I have started mtn biking again to rehab my knee also--great fun! I am wearing my CTI2 while riding, and feel somewhat more protected. We did a 5.5 mile trail last night and I was not much off the pace I had prior to my accident---so I feel pretty good. In addition to the mtn biking, you should try road biking--I find that this helps with endurance also.

Good luck, Sharla and have fun!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Lack of protective gear for mountain biking? Around here we wear full face helmets, chest protectors, knee pads, elbow pads, etc. Mind you, Rossland is the world capital for mountain biking.

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Sharla, congrats on the new bike!

Speaking about protective gear.....Thom & I were jamming around on our mountain bikes tonight & I've always kind of thought that those bike helmets were kind of gay looking, but after almost eating it at a good pace I'm starting to rethink the issue of protective gear.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
LOL! My sentiments exactly on the helmet but I'll buckle and buy one soon. Haven't ridden it enough anywhere except at home to warrant one yet.

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
firecracker,

If you are rehabbing you knees get clipless pedals with at least 8-10 degrees of float in your pedals to take the strain off your knees. As you pedal your foot wants to rotate slightly side to side through the rotation, if your foot can't move it will torque on your knee. The worst pedals you can use if you have knee problems are toe clips (cages). I use Bebop pedals on my bikes as I have a beat up right knee. They provide 20 degrees of float and feel so smooth; Speedplay Frog pedals are also great.

On the seat, be sure to get a gender specific saddle as a womens pelvic bones are spaced further apart and a mans seat will not offer the needed support.

I know you know this but, be sure to wear your helmet low in the front to offer the best protection, plus it just looks better.

$70 sounds like a steal to me. My favorite bike (Klause) was purchased in 11/93 and I still ride it more then my $3200 wonder bike. :confused:

Last edited:

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Congrats on the mtn bike. I've alawys wanted to try it but so far haven't got the chance. I don't think my Wal Mart special bike would do the trick. It did get me around campus at college though. Maybe I'll take it up soon. Have fun and get a helmet before much longer! :)

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Hey once you get used to riding a bike again you ought to go riding at Beacon Hill( I believe that`s the name of the place ). Just north of downtown Spokane. I haven`t been there in quite a while,but it was some of the best mountaiin biking I have ever done.

Steve

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Oh I will get one for sure. Maybe a bright purple one . . . LOL! Lori, you've seen me ride the KTM, you KNOW Beacon Hill will kick my butt. You're just in it for the entertainment. KXaggerator, you totally lost me--What are clipless pedals? Mine are just normal ones, there's nothing on them at all but my feet.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Woohoo, clipless pedals on Beacon Hill!!!! I'll bring the helmetcam for documentation!

FC, clipless pedals are what you use for serious cycling, and falling over more than normal. They are actually pedals that use special shoes that clip into the pedals. They work great from what I hear except when you need to stop quickly and put your foot down. You have to twist the shoe off the pedal, usually a minor twist but not a normal motion for most people so the learning curve is kinda steep.

I don't use them, heck I fall over enough with just the toe cages.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by CJ Rider
...but the Gas Gas is for sale (sniff).

Oh Jen, just hide it behind all those other bikes in the garage (yes my jelousy IS showing :confused: ) Will won't even know you still have it!

Cool, FC. My problem is I bought a $1200 bike (hand made Brazillian job, weighs about 26 lbs with all the stuff) and I still curse myself everytime I ride thinking about my KTM sitting at home while I huff and puff my lard butt up a hill! Happiness is just a grip twist away :)

Rod

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Clipless pedals are stupid and dangerous. Most people around here use flat pedals, because when you screw up on a 20' double or 15' drop, you wanna be able to bail out and not have the bike stuck to you. I do not recommend using them unless you do serious cross-country mountain biking.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hm, well I won't be trying them at all then. Not sure about toe cages either right now. Bbbom, I'd love to take you up on your lunchtime ride offer but I work waaaay up on the northside and only get a half hour lunch. I will be getting off work at 2:30 starting this week though.

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
What's the big deal with clipless pedals??? It takes about an hour of riding, if that, to get used to getting in and out of them and after that it's a breeze. They're much easier to get in and out of than toe cages. You feel connected to the bike and for climbing, they're a must. Go to any mountain bike race and see how many clipless pedals there are in the field...you'll be lucky to find any who aren't using them. Unless most of your riding is downhill and you never climb, they're the way to go in my opinion.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I have used clipless pedal for quite a while and have always been able to get out of them. Toe-clips on the other hand should just be thrown away. Since your just getting back on a bike again just stick with the regular pedals.

Steve

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
My point about using clipless pedals is for knee relief. If you have bad knees do not use cages, they will tweak you knees. I am a cross country rider, but I do like technical trails and I feel weird not being connected to my bike, though I can get out in a split second with no effort what ever. Being attached to the pedals allows you to pull on the up stroke with one foot, while pushing down with the other. The only time I have been really hurt (broken sternum) on a mt bike in the last 16 years was when I was using cages. I did great small loop in the forest and decided to do it again. Some eco terrorist had stacked rocks on the trail around a steep corner and I was trapped in the cages and crashed with the bike still attached. Flat pedals would definitely be better then cages for your knees, though if you are planning on doing any mileage clipless is the way to go.

If you are curious Bebop and Frog are hyperlinks in my last reply.

Top Bottom