sdot636

Jan 24, 2007
how do you make sharper turns. how should your body be and what gear should you be in when going down a hill. does it matter that it is a four stroke.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
your bike isnt meant for the sharp turns your looking for, so that could be the problem
What does that mean?

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
Okiewan said:
What does that mean?

a TTR125 is not meant to be layed out over a berm and throwing dirt and sand everywhere, thats what he is looking to do, to be able to turn more sharply :nod: ( we all do). i was just pointing that that probably isnt the best bike for what he's looking to do with it :nod: .

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
kawicam250 said:
a TTR125 is not meant to be layed out over a berm and throwing dirt and sand everywhere, thats what he is looking to do, to be able to turn more sharply :nod: ( we all do). i was just pointing that that probably isnt the best bike for what he's looking to do with it :nod: .
Uh... he said nothing about blowing up berms, he simply asked how to turn sharper. I'm positive I can turn a TTR 125 sharper than I can a 450. If you want to give advice, try telling him how to turn, not that his bike can't.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
Okiewan said:
Uh... he said nothing about blowing up berms, he simply asked how to turn sharper. I'm positive I can turn a TTR 125 sharper than I can a 450. If you want to give advice, try telling him how to turn, not that his bike can't.

:uh: ok. let me start by saying that it all depends on the hill to determine what gear you should be in, and every bike is geared different, so we cant really tell you what gear you should be in unless we went to the same hill and rode your bike down it.

OT: Okie: i was getting off track, thanks for the point out :nod: . this advice sound better?

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I dont see any of those posts that you quoted, were they deleted?

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
Go to a local riding area and find a section with a few consecutive turns and just start going into them a little faster each time, be sure to practice good form like what was explained on the link from earlier. Seat time will make you faster in the corners. I went into a bermed corner once way faster than I usually would have. It was do or die so I just layed my bike over in the corner and it worked, came out of the corner fine. From that day on I was a lot faster in the corners and continue to get faster by continuing to push it. Wear some good gear and plan on laying your bike over a few times. When you wreck a few times you find the limits and learn what to do or not do the next time. Devote a few hours every time you go out to corners and form in the corners every time you go out and ride and your speed will increase quickly. Eventually your form will be automatic and you will continue getting faster.

Big Worm

Mar 2, 2007
not sure what your exactly looking to do. the only way to get better and sharper on your turns is practice. you'll often go to the tracks during the week and find guys practicing certain sections rather than just riding the whole track. you must practice, practice, practice if you want to boost your ability.

here is a little help on how I approach turns: first take care of your breaking before you enter the turn, it's easier to carry speed through a turn if you break before rather than breaking too late and killing your momentum. After you break you should shift your @$$ forward toward the gas tank, known as the pocket, get your outside elbow up, with your inside foot off the peg and out forward for balance. Once you reach the apex grab a little clutch, twist the throttle and exit the turn.

practice this technique over and over until it becomes fluid and you can carry your speed through the corners without stopping. The more you practice the faster you'll get.

sdot636

Jan 24, 2007
thanks is it the same on flat ground because we do trails and i could not fallow them.

does anyone have tips on taking hills.
the first time i did little hills i did not slow down going down and i found out that i was suppose to be in first or secont and use my front brake to slow me down. is that true

Big Worm

Mar 2, 2007
flat corners should be addressed a little different. If its a sweeping turn that you can carry speed through you'd want to stand in attack position and grip the seat with your knees. If it's more of a sharper flat turn where you don't feel comfortable standing get up in the pocket of the seat again. put more of your body weight on the inside of the turn(about one cheek of your @$$ should hanging over the inside of the seat, then apply pressure with your foot to the outside peg and keep your elbow up.

As far as uphills are concerned, you always want to be in a lower gear, either 1st or 2nd depending on the incline and make sure you are leaning forward up the hill. If you start to lose power pull and release the clutch to get more power. If you stop on the uphill you should use your front break to hold upright, if you use the rear and the icline is too steep you can tip backwards.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
kawicam250 said:
nope, still here. others and i noticed that some of my recent threads and posts were gone, but i think that is due to the virus thats been running around. well, my "recent posts" on my profile are back, think it was a glitch.

hhmmmm...glitch. Could be, but maybe it wasn't... ;)

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
I heard that when you go into a corner you want to be in third gear then when you exit the corner you should grab clutch gun the motor and release the clutch. What do you guys think? Was that good Advice?

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
Blackcat said:
I heard that when you go into a corner you want to be in third gear then when you exit the corner you should grab clutch gun the motor and release the clutch. What do you guys think? Was that good Advice?
All turns are diferent, I would probably never do that unless It was a soft sandy turn that was bermed, RC could probably do that on a lot of turns but it probably will be a long time before I ever do that on a regular basis, in 3rd gear clutching it then dumping it on my bike would have me doing things in a corner that I could not control. Diferent bikes in diferent corners = diferent gears.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Many things need to happen to sharpen any turn... prior to getting to this point you must be able to keep the 125 at 9-10,000rpm's+ and learn to feather. Master clutch feathering and keeping your rear tire hocked up the turning part suddenly becomes much easier and a more natural thing. With a 2t your turns are your strength.
Good Luck...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom