john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
I love my 02 200 KDX 200...Bought it brand new, last december. It's totally set for woods riding...It only has 179 kilometers on it!!..Mods trailtech odometer,boyseen reeds, frp frt springs/frp torque ring, PC pipe, MSR shifter, Moose handlebars, acerbis handguards, etc, etc..but I've ALWAYS kept my eye on KTM's--especially the 250/300 EXC/MXC's. Well it seems that I've found one. A very cherry 1998 MXC 300--the price is unvelievable--it's an offer I can't refuse. I have to admit I feel very guilty about this. I've read KTMtalk as much as I read the KDXforum here and I feel like a total traitor. I'll be making a deposit on the KTM tomorrow. And I'm probably going to (gulp again) have to sell the KDX. Oh man, it's just a hard to give up. But I know that I need more power, and a MXC 300 fits the bill.

Anyway, enough of my bantering--any thoughts/opinions on the 1998 MXC 300? Strengths/weaknesses? I asked the same question on KTMtalk yesterday about a MXC 250 that I had my eye on too. But now I've decided to go with the 300. Thanks...John

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
you will be grinning ear to ear after you get to ride that ktm
i use to have a 00 kdx 200 to an 02 200exc there is a night and
day differance the only time i miss my kdx is during a really nasty
muddy race/ride

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I had a '98 250 MX/C, now on a '99 300 MX/C. Motorwise, I don't miss the 250. The 300 is absolutely the best motor for all-around woods riding, IMO. Very little clutching is needed on the trail. It has smooth power everywhere, especially down low. But I'm not convinced it's actually much faster than a 250. Seems like it revs just a tad slower? 50 mm WP conventional forks on both years work well. Oh, cold starting takes a bit more oomph though. Bigger piston to move, I guess. When it's warm it doesn't seem as hard.

Also, the hydraulic clutch is heavenly. 99 & newer only, though. Bummer. My next bike will be a new or newer 300. For now, though, I can't find a reason to trade. The 98 was (still is, sold it to my brother-in-law) a great bike. I just made the switch for more power & the juice clutch. The 99 has been great so far as well. Not a single complaint. Period.

Are you sure you don't want an EX/C instead? I think I'd prefer one for the granny low & lighting. The MX/C's have lighting coils, but don't come with a headlight. And if you haven't read about it already... changing the oil with a skidplate on sucks. Oil drain is on the side of the case, not the bottom like most bikes. You will get oil all over the frame rail & inside the skid plate. Do yourself a favor right away & buy e-rider's oil drain tool. Or ask Billywho if he has a ManFunnel to fit ktm 2 strokes.

Last edited:

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Zio,
Hey thanks man...that's the kind of information I was looking for. Trust me, I'd love an EXC...but the price is so low and well kept that i just couldn't pass this up. I'm talking less than $1700.00...with PC pipe, rethnal pro taper, professionally tuned suspension, new dunlops, etc..etc..Now maybe that's why I'm not sure whether I should get rid of my KDX so quickly. If I were to go out and buy a new EXC (even though have a great deal on them right now with the 6 months no payment and $300.00 credit gimmick), you know that would sat me back a little financially...This way I kind of have the both of best worlds. I've got the KDX for tight wood, gnarly, single tracks woods riding and the MXC for cross country/hare&hound riding scenario The only I can't stand is accumulating alot of toys. I just want one bike to do the job and it seems like the MXC fits the bill. (I'm not racing yet, but I going to give it a shot once I get released from Active duty with the Army next September). At least there's the option to add lights to the MXC, and there's probably enough low end grunt with the MXC that I really won't be that far off the mark when comes to the "granny" gear. I certainly didn't know about the oil drain situation on the 1998. Sounds like a bummer. Just checked out the oil drain too--diggin' it!! I'm not picking up the bike until thanksgiving, so please if you have anymore insight about the 98 MXC 300 please enlighten me. I've done alot of online searches over the past few days and have not turned too much info. Thanks, John

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Zio...sorry about all the typos (i'm trying to fight of a cold, and the medication makes me a little tired/foggy if you get my drift)...With regard to the oil drain tube, I meant that I just checked out e-rider and that's looks like the ticket!!

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Johh, $1700 is a great deal. Now I understand. I say jump on it!

The oil drain is on all ktms. And you're right about the granny missing on the 300- it's sort of moot with all the torque. I forgot about that. Even uphill on slow, tight technical climbs you rarely need to clutch as long as your speed doesn't drop below what the engine can rev. 9 times out of 10 you just give more gas & it pulls it. I totally understand why the mags sometimes called it a "3 stroke".

If you find yourself in need of a headlight, let me know. I have all the internals for a stocker, minus the shroud & lense. I haven't priced a new shroud, so it might be cheaper to get a whole new Acerbis unit. But if you want, it's all yours. Brand new, never used. And I'll never get around to using it.

With the conventional forks I've never had a prob with leaking seals. I do run seal savers on both bikes, though. Front brakes on both are strong, but the rears are hard to modulate. I've never been very smooth with rear brakes but these are particularly hard (for me, at least) to modulate. It seems like the 99 is more prone tolocking up, though. At DW, during the team harescramble for example I stalled at least once a lap, sometimes twice, when braking hard into a corner. I don't remember having that happen as much on the 98.

Ergonomically I can't tell a difference. They feel identical.

Oh, and the 99 has a better axle set up. That's about it. I've ridden newer ktms and I guess I don't ride hard enough to notice that much of a difference with the newer years, other than specific changes from model to model. I'd guess that with things like suspension & handling, it's all about setup. If I ever spend money on a bike, that'll be where my money goes.

Good luck!

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Zio,
I am actually paying $1600.00 bucks for this bike, and it probably doesn't have more than 100 miles on it!! Unbelievable!!...I don't think I'm going to tinker with modifying the engine etc...like I did on the KDX. I'm with you on this one--"it's all about set up." When I here people wanting to extract more power from a 380, I'm kind of blown away. I think I'll have more than enough power at my disposal. The crazy thing is that when I was a 14 I had a Maico GS 360, 4 speed, and man for a 140 lb kid it was quite a bit to handle back then. It was such a torque monster and I really loved the fact that I didn't have to shift as often as my friends did on their KX, CR, and YZ 125's. When I purchased the KDX and immediately started modifying the engine and suspension I was pleasantly suprized by the tractable and useable power I was able to extract from it. Nonetheless, if you missed a shift, or fell of the curve it was a bummer. I shift like a madman on the bike and yeah, I don't mind a good ride/workout but you really have to stay on the pipe with this bike. So I will be looking forward to getting back to a 5-speed which I can probably ride like a 4-speed.
Anyway, I appreciate your offer about the light internals..I will certainly keep it mind. I think the acerbis lights are relatively cheap compared to oem. Look forward to officially joining the KTM sqaud once the deal is done. Thanks for your input Zio!!...Much appreciated. John

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Cool...thanks.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by zio
Front brakes on both are strong, but the rears are hard to modulate. I've never been very smooth with rear brakes but these are particularly hard (for me, at least) to modulate. It seems like the 99 is more prone tolocking up, though. At DW, during the team harescramble for example I stalled at least once a lap, sometimes twice, when braking hard into a corner. I don't remember having that happen as much on the 98.

Good luck! [/B]

ZIO
www.enduroeng.com
You need semi metallic brake shoes and a solid rear rotor. Problem solved!

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
I've been on numerous military deployements for the past year...that's why i don't get alot of time in the saddle...this current mission has slated to stay here until 14 sept 2004...but i'm glad i've got access to drn...it's the closest i'm going to get riding for sometime...

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Congrats on the great find! I wouldn't pass that deal up either. Too bad you have to sell the KDX though. I met a guy at the KTM dealership who owns six KTM's and one KDX200. He said that he loves the KDX and will not part with it. According to him, nothing beats the KDX200 in tight woods situations. By the way, he loves his KTM's too!

I wish I had his bikes!

Different tools for different jobs.

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Hey Jackpiner57,
Good to hear from you again...hope everything worked out for you with the modifications. Hey, you never know, if can't sell it, I might end up keeping it too. The KDX is just a really great bike, and I have NO regrets about having owned and ridden one. It's a shame it just sitting there in my garage for the winter. I just ordered alot of new goodies for it in the 2 weeks. Hope you're getting alot of ride time in the saddle...take it easy, John

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Hi John, I'm real happy with the stuff I've done so far to my KDX. I did a turkey run in NH a couple of months ago that had some difficult muddy hilly sections and the KDX went through where many bikes didn't. A guy from Rhode Island on a DRZ400 hit one mud bog and his front wheel disappeared and he went over the bars! It took 4 of us to get the front wheel out of that hole. Good luck with the KTM. The 300 sounds like a bike I would love to ride.

Keep your head down,
Tom

Top Bottom