I cant get my shock out!

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
I unbolted it without a problem, but I just dont have the clearance to pull it out of the frame. I am using Cyclepedia, and it says to just un-bolt it, and pull out on the right side. I cant pull the top of the shock back far enough to clear the mount that the top of the shock mounts to. Do I need to pull the air cleaner duct to have enuff room? Cyclepedia says nothing about that, so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. It should be simple I would think.

Thanks for any advice,

D.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
If you could post a picture, I'm sure that would help.

I have always removed the subframe to do any work to the rear suspension. If you haven't already, pull the subframe and I would assume you would negate any further clearance issues.

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
Forgive me Wake, but what do you mean by "pull the subframe"?

I removed the nuts and bolts that secure the tie rods to the rocker arm and swingarm. I just cant get the damn shock out. I am moving the swingarm all the way up and down. But that is not enuff. Do I need to rotate the spring as I try to pull the shock out? I could really use some advice.

Thanks for any input,

D.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Ah, I just realized that I'm posting in the KDX forum and I believe KDX's have a non-removable subframe. In this case, forget my previous advice. I apologize!

When it comes to the procedure of pulling the shock on a KDX, I have no experience so I am of no help.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Have you tried moving the spring up further on the shock to allow a lower setting? I would use a piece of masking tape just below the top of the spring collar to mark your spring position, then try moving the spring further up the shock and see if that gives you a little bit of extra clearance. Again, I might just be throwing solutions completely incorrect, but I'm not able to see what it is that you're having the issue with and I might not be understanding similarly what it is that you're explaining.

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
Wake,

Thanks for the input. Turns out that Cyclepedia left out a few very important steps. I need to take the expansion chamber off, and quite possibly the airbox. Who knew!

Oh well,

Thanks again,

D.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
On line repair, at cyclepedia? Says who? Unless Rich or Eric fix that site, what next. I will stick with a shop manual. Vintage Bob

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
I took the expansion chamber off, and the shock came right out! Neither the manual nor cyclepedia had the procedure right. No big deal. Just putting it out there for future reference.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…