dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
gomer, I agree with you there, but when the bike is absolutely vertical (Straight up and down) I think its best to just eject. It its pitched forward a bit I try to stay on, but usually get pitched off the back anyway.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Speaking of bailing, a few years back, a buddy and I were racing through a fairly wide section of trail through the woods(jeep road) when I swung out to pass him. As I started around him, I could see that ahead was a large rock about 2'X2' sticking up on my side of the trail. :eek: Now I was pinned in third on a CR250 so there was no time to stop and nowhere to swerve without taking me and my buddy out so I just raised the front tire, but I raised it too high and it cleared the rock instead of skimming off the top so guess what happened next. Yup, the rear end hit the rock and kicked up like a bucking bronco and had me riding down the trail on my front tire and I felt like it was totally vertical. :scream: 'Time to bail', I thought so I let go of the handlebars and was prepared for impact when all of the sudden, the bike just sat back down. :think: So now I'm riding down the trail with my chest laid across the handlebars and arms dangling on both sides of the front tire. :confused: With no way to controll the bike, the front end began to wobble and down I go! :whiner: Moral of the story, MOST of the time,(not all), if you hang on you can ride it out!

KTMKyd

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 20, 2001
I agree with Gomer totally, my friend talks about bailing all the time, and he does sometime, I think I'd rather just try to ride it out, I don't know if I even COULD bail, I can barely take my hands off the bars in the air, lol

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I've had alot of crashes where I wished I had just taken my chances on the ground.

Once a friend of mine tried to ride out a near vertical takeoff. He tried for the back brake, but couldnt find it. He landed on the rear wheel, and the front came down so hard that he was pitched off the front (went right over the fender) and was run over by the bike.

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
wow hey i remember that jump! that was a long time ago!

i have now since learned to jump correctly... and i just made a small freestyle jump in my back yard thats good for about 70 feet... i guess well see how that goes when i get it finished! :aj:

you guys have some interesting stories! jeez, i thought me and my buddies had some gnarly crashes... :confused:

Top Bottom