I finally understand why these bikes are so popular

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
It's been a 5 year battle to get my 04 200 to have any power down low. I have removed the air box lid, re-jetted, installed boyesen reeds, added a pro circuit pipe and geared down, yet it still was worthless on the bottom. I had to feather the clutch on the smallest of inclines to keep the bike from stalling. It ran good in the mid and top, but horrible on the bottom.

But I have now installed the VF3 and went on a 50 mile ride a couple days ago. What a difference! It is like a completely different bike. It makes plenty of power down low now. It will lug up nasty steep rocky root and step covered hills with ease.

Something must have been wrong with the stock reed block, as the bike has never been right. Now with the VF3 the difference is night and day. I was reaching the point of getting rid of the thing since it was such a piece of worthless crap. But now the thing is fantastic. Makes excellent power everywhere and will lug like it never would before. I couldn't help but grin the entire ride. I looked forward to the trail going uphill and getting nasty! I finally understand why these bikes are so legendary for trail riding. :cool:

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Congratulations on getting it going like you like it. Any chance the stock reeds were worn out? If they had been in there for 5 years, they may have needed to be replaced, or could have been damaged slightly, keeping them from working properly.

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
The V-force 3 reeds seem to be the answer to alot of running problems . I'm really starting to question the popularity of the 607's ,,, is that because of price not performance ?

I may have to break down and buy new VF3's for our KDX's :)

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
pdiddy, you still have those boysen reeds you pulled? In good shape? I'll pay shipping and packaging for them if you arejust going to throw them away... The VForce is not in the budget right now, and for the moment I am running stock.

I'll try a before and after and post the results if you send them to me... when I finally get my motor rebuilt...

Drop me an email at bill at kilgallon family dot com if you are interested...

(sorry for the tangent)...

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I noticed quite an improvement going to boyesen 607's over stock. I'm sure the VF3 is a worthwhile upgrade, but I can't justify the cost when the Boyesen's work well for a fraction of price.

I have zero explanation for your bike running well with the VF3 cage and crappy with the Boyesen's, aside from installation, defective reeds, or damaged factory reed cage....

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
glad2ride said:
Congratulations on getting it going like you like it. Any chance the stock reeds were worn out? If they had been in there for 5 years, they may have needed to be replaced, or could have been damaged slightly, keeping them from working properly.

Actually, I have replaced the reeds twice in 5 years. Used stock for a year, put in Boyesen reeds for 3, put in Boyesen reeds again for 1 year and now finally the VF3.

Feral Donkey said:
Where can a person buy the VF3?

I bought mine from Rockymountainmc.com.

reepicheep said:
pdiddy, you still have those boysen reeds you pulled? In good shape? I'll pay shipping and packaging for them if you arejust going to throw them away... The VForce is not in the budget right now, and for the moment I am running stock.

I'll try a before and after and post the results if you send them to me... when I finally get my motor rebuilt...

Drop me an email at bill at kilgallon family dot com if you are interested...

(sorry for the tangent)...

I will drop you an email tomorrow night, little busy tonight.

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
I took out a perfect set of 607's and installed the V-Force Delta 2 reeds about four months ago.

A big difference (improved) in throttle response and power across the entire powerband.

I got lucky on FleaBay with a large parts lot that included the V-Force reeds or I doubt I would have switched.

I'm glad I did.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
julien_d said:
I have zero explanation for your bike running well with the VF3 cage and crappy with the Boyesen's, aside from installation, defective reeds, or damaged factory reed cage....
I have to agree with that.

Mud

stevewr450f

Nov 22, 2006
If you like the low down grunt of vforce reeds, you should also check out Ron Black (RB Desigins). For $45 he will modify you head. Makes a huge difference. Did I say huge difference. Really. Its one of the best mods for the KDX.

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
stevewr450f said:
If you like the low down grunt of vforce reeds, you should also check out Ron Black (RB Desigins). For $45 he will modify you head. Makes a huge difference. Did I say huge difference. Really. Its one of the best mods for the KDX.

I was thinking of sending my carb in to Rb designs this winter, I may have to send my head as well.......

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom