KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I finally finished up my latest project bike and thought I would show it off here before it gets sold.

If you recall from the post i did about the RM370 I restored - the deal I made with Sheila was i would finish up and sell off the remaining old bikes out in the garage in exchange for the new KTM I got last year. Its been just over a year now, but I am getting close to done!

This one is a 1970 Honda CL100. The pictures absolutely do not do this bike justice - (the sun was tooo bright - washed out the colors). It is a beautiful Candy Ruby Red color. The gas tank on it is factory brand new - has not ever had gas in it until today! The other body parts were repainted to match the tank (the paint guy did a great job). The bike only has 1300 ish miles on it! I was just out putzin around the yard on it a bit today - fun little bike to run around on. Something about these old scoots just puts a smile on my face!

Now that this one is done it is onto my last project bike - a 1976 Suzuki GT380. And with that one done...my garage will be free of vintage bike projects (well almost...a huge bunch of old parts to get rid of) for quite some time!

See you guys at the Spring Pine Cone next weekend!

Attachments

• cl100 4 06 right side small image.JPG
    cl100 4 06 right side small image.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 267

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Great job Mike - Sweet looking ride!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
MWEISSEN said:
Wow! That is a beauty! Excellent job Mike!

Do you have a "before" picture?

Thanks Mark and Trevor. Attached is a before pic. Hard to tell the real condition though - actually this bike was in pretty nice shape to start with . Big cosmetic issue was the paint was extremely faded though - those Candy Ruby Red colors seemed to do that easily. Other than that, it was a ton of painstaking detail cleaning and a few odds and ends.

One item that took forever to track down was a stupid little front brake light switch! The stock one was not working, and the grey vinyl cover over the wires (runs along the handle bar into headlight shell) was brittle and cracked into a number of small chunks. Many hours of surfing to find one...which I eventually did. (actually that was the "final" item I wrapped up on it on Monday.).

Attachments

• cl100 right side.JPG
    cl100 right side.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 200

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Here is an after shot where you can see the colors of the bike quite a bit better and more realistically. I just love that color!

Attachments

• cl100 right side 2.JPG
    cl100 right side 2.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 199

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
That is a BEAUTY Mike!! GREAT PIECE OF WORK!!
I too love those old Honda Candy Colors. They really had something special for sure. Soooo,, how did you finally get the shocks apart?
Also, did you ever find the bowl screw you were looking for on the Zuke? I looked at one of my old Zuke's and the screw I had from the old Yammie was definitly not the correct one. If I run across one I will let you know!!
Good luck on your bike sale!
Woodsy :ride:

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Great Job Mike!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
woodsy said:
. Soooo,, how did you finally get the shocks apart? Also, did you ever find the bowl screw you were looking for on the Zuke?

Scott - I totally forgot about the battle with those shocks! Like duh...it was soooooo simple. :whoa: The bottom shock mount, which I SWORE was no way could come off...does. In looking at it, absolutely 100% appears there is a crimped pressure fit, that was then factory welded. NO visble seam...no evidence it possibly could come off. But...i finally dug up an exploded parts diagram..sure 'nuff - just hold shock body with padded vise grips...and easily twist off the bottom eye! No luck on that bowl screw for the GT380 either...have not been doing much looking though. Any old stubby bolt could work, but I cant find one of proper diamter with same thread pitch!

Top Bottom