I got a question about the hot start cable...

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
I have a 2008 Kawasaki 250F. I recently removed the carb and cleaned out the jets. Now I'm reinstalling the carb back into the bike. I'm having trouble connecting the hot start cable back into the carb. It goes in, but it goes in all the way almost snaps in, I don't see how it can screw in anymore. I do see it's held in by a magnet or something, but if you pull it with a reasonable amount of force it will come out. It's almost as if my threads are all worn. It's a hastle trying to get a wrench in there to tighten the bolt on the hot start cable onto the carb. So I take the carb out and try to screw in the hot start cable onto the carb. It seems to simply snap in.

So it should thread in about 4 turns?

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
Bike runs fine, hot start not sticking out of carb so it's fine, was just wondering if it had to be threaded in 4 turns. Or maybe mine got worn out? Are hot start cable plugs at the carb known to wear out easily?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A rule of thumb used very consistently by Japanese engineers will have a thread depth of two times the diameter of the threaded piece. So if you measure the diameter of the threaded piece , and then double it, you should have that amount of thread contact in the receiver hole.

Top Bottom