I got fatter and grew a new tooth.

Jan 16, 2005
I recently put an IRC Vulcanuro 100/110 on the back and went up a tooth (48t) on the rear sprocket. I really didn't expect to feel that much difference but there is from what I can tell after one ride...I think.

That tire has an incredibly agressive and wider pattern and definitely covers more surface and coupled with the extra tooth to my surprise took some of the spin out of the rear.

At first I thought the engine was running bad. I was thinking the gas was too old, I need to rejet for the warmer temps now etc... but I soon realized it was a geometry thing ;)

I didn't like the feel at first, I felt like acceleration from a stop was definitely sacrificed but then I decided to see where this new feel would benefit so I dove into some thick woods and started to ride some deer trails. The entire length of the trail was off camber and this always poses a challenge in itself aside from the fact that the ground surface was loose rocks, loose soil with a nice covering of dead leaves.

The bike felt more comfortable in these conditions, nice new rubber is always a good thing, but I felt like I was making more contact with the ground resulting in better control.

The true test came with the number of log crossings I made effortlessly. Before the changes to the bike I would approach a log and blip the throttle and occasionally make contact too fast and almost lose the bike. Now the bike seems to make a less hyper approach along with feathering the clutch and I still have the same power, just less "snap" in these situations. The bike seems to just roll over without the feeling of stalling or having keeping the revs up as much, making for a more successful crossing. Do I dare say it rides more like a 4-stroke? :ohmy:

On the same ride in the woods I also had what my fiance' calls a "blonde moment". I got myself caught up in an uphill section I couldn't get out of. The incline was too steep, the rear wheel was just hurling melon size rocks and descending rapidly. I was surrounded by small saplings that I swear were moving themselves closer to the bike every time I turned my back.

I was exhausted at this point, both wheels were wedged between rocks, a small tree maged to grow up through my frame past the skid plate and I couldn't get the bike in nuetral.

A beautiful 65 degree day now felt like 85 with all my gear on, my muscles were screaming..."Why can't I pull this damn bike out?" Then it hit me...I had the steering damper up pretty high which was draining my arms as I'm trying to knife the front wheel back and forth as I was pulling at the same time. :bang:

So I just thought I'd share that little ride/test with anyone who may be thinking about what difference a tire size, or gear change makes. I'm still learning, not to mention still bleeding from all the thorns I pulled out of my upper arms last night.

Life is good, I love this sport, be safe.

Lambkawi

Oct 31, 2005
I used to run the 110 vulcanduro on my xr400. It's a great tire that is inexpensive and lasts awhile. I tried to go with the 110 on my 220 and it was just to much tire for the motor. The 100 seemed to do better. I just threw in brand new V-force 3 cage and reeds and went for the first ride of spring yesterday I could definately tell a difference. Maybe with some more mods to my bike I would try the 110 again. I suppose that the rear sprocket swap would help as well.

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
I always love reading stories like this... especially when the majority of the references are very similar to some of my past experiences. As I'm reading... I say to myself, "oh yeah, I've done that before". :)

GabeM

Apr 17, 2002
How about a 140?

I got a deal on a new Michellin S12 140 rear and by what I'm reading, this might be too wide for the power I have. I ride a 95 200 and don't ever get on it too hard, mostly a lot of 2nd-3rd, 4th gear tight woods is my preference. And I also lug the bike in the low RPM range most of the time.
Should I just go get me a 110 instead?

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
Personally, I prefer wider tires. I'm running a 130/80-18 rear. I changed my front sprocket from a 13 to a 12 tooth to compensate for the diameter increase of the tire.

Jan 16, 2005
Dewster, is that CRF 150 in your list all stock? I'm looking to get my fiance' one, she rode a small wheel TTR125 one season and is ready for a step up. The reason I ask is because her TTR has a 150big bore kit and she likes the power, but not the smaller wheel, shorter height etc.

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
I removed the backfire screen in the airbox, installed a UNI air filter, removed the spark arrestor screen that raps around the baffle, and drilled two 3/16" holes in the baffle. This really woke the bike up. Much more responsive.

Top Bottom