whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
When you find good people to buy used dirt bikes from, keep their names close to heart. Thorman75 started a rehab on a 83 CR480. He lost interest a while back when he found the guy that sold it to him had the wrong parts on it. Yes, it was a fleabay deal. Bill went through the motor, painted everything up, very good. I really only need a rear shock, tires and chain. This bike really is nice, could be museum quality real easy. Then again, they claimed 51 horsepower! That yellow stuff has to go from my garage! Red is back! Vintage Bob

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Bob, you change bikes more than I change my oil......

Those things are fast. I don't know about the left side kick though?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Funny thing about the left hand kicker. The last bike I raced a class in, in 82, was the left hand kicker CR250! And I didn't even think about it, till you mentioned it. The 78 through 82 250's are set up this way. I never messed with the big bores back then, I just ran circles around them. In these age classes, they do not have cc restrictions. Trick: NEVER start the bike while sitting on it. Stand on the left side, fire it up, and haul azz! I was talking to AJ about this, I may try to have AJ fashion a longer kicker from a Husky, they like the left kick also. Not enough revolutions per stroke. AJ got a laugh when I brought up his patented double kick method. I believe they made different links to tuck the front end in. I got to have that bike able to cut under a 125 you know. Vintage Bob

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, a buddy I ride with has one. He uses the stand off to the left and kick with the right method. Make sure the guy behind you has good goggles and chest protector.... ;) :ride: those things can throw some some ****!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Rode a friend's 480 a few times years ago. Never thought to stand to the side to start it. But it sounds like a real good idea. Do NOT try to start one wearing tennis shoes.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I ran across an old thread in the archives. Seems there was a guy, bragging on his 480 he could start with tennis shoes. Very bad idea. Them kick backs into your instep, never really go away. My RM400 tore a hole in my tech 8's! And broke 2 Chinese copied kick starters. The 5 speed bottom end is in it now, but I also have the earlier 4 speed bottom end also. After talking to AJ I am compelled to keep an eye out for a Honda 250f rolling chassis. I am pretty sure that motor in a 250f frame has not been done yet? I can keep the shroud set up to put air flow atop the engine. Should be light as heck. Just thinking,, If it only had an exhaust valve. And if Eric can put some of that torque on the top end? Vintage Bob

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Hey there youngster (I beat you out by a few months I think)...my 83 CR125 was a right hand kicker but the sprocket was opposite what we run today. Now my Maicos there's some left hand kicking and my 440 needs the compression release or it's gotta be pulled. Yellow, red, whatever! Speaking of whatever, whatever happened to the 97 CR250?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Been out riding Uchytil? My 83 is not water cooled like the 83 125 either? I ran the 125's in 75~77. How about the 79 to 81 kick levers? Other than getting used to it, its not too bad, some ways better than sitting on the seat. Yeah the 250, still collecting pieces. But the good top end is going to Eric real soon. I may have to wait till Feb to go see Jeremy to set up my 97 legs. The 83 has train springs in it, brand new 11.0? I sure want to try the emulators on that bad boy. Looking at some really cheap ohlins for the 480. Not for sure if the clevises are interchangeable? Cold front settled in for a week more, the hot tub is calling. And I can gander at what will put me in the hospital this summer, IF, I am lucky! Now I need a quicker throttle for the 250, and a slower one for the 480. I want to ride the 480 before I go snivel'in to Eric to move the power around though. Whats the significance in putting a really expensive digital ignition in the 480 going to do besides lighten my wallet? I do believe I have never rode this bike. Vintage Bob

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
You can get the PVL ignition and install it in the 480, but you should already have a cdi ignition and I don't think you'd see any real gain unless you have a problem with current setup. (read some of the early '83s had ignition problem causing misfire at high rpm). Don't remember the one I rode having any lack of bottom end, mid, or top end, but again, I was, is, and will always be, a crappy rider. More power everywhere than I ever needed. But that was a long time ago and I honestly afraid of the bike. I still remember wearing tennis shoes, though!
Here's a good rundown at another site: http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=266049

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thats what I was thinking 2stroker. Guys had issues with starting and a high rpm miss? So slap on a 500 dollar ignition fixed some defective coils? This bike has a top end? I had a period of wearing flip-flops to the garage. One morning, late going to the races, near comatose from getting out of the hospital and fairly drugged up, 1 last trip to the bench and see what I forgot, BAM,SQUISH and off goes yet the 2nd time to loose a large toe nail. A 1/2" impact gun was teetering on the edge. I bled like a stuffed pig till I got to the track, and duct taped it back on. Still looks good, but I turn the other way when not dressed correctly! Having the 480 in my spa/bar is very tricky working on. Shoes are important! No way I am going to the single digit garage, it would take hours heating up a 4 car garage. When the bike gets ready, it has to do a burn out on the floor. It should be better than the EG450 burn out? Used parts are half to a third what parts are for the 250, yet the 480 brings in more money? Awesome! Vintage Bob

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Been out riding Uchytil?

Nope. It is down to no degrees here. My 82-125 was water cooled and the mag parts were a pain but it was fun all the same - no PV though. The motoplat in the Maico would be ripped out and a PVL installed if I wanted to shell out another load of benjis. I am looking at new spokes and rims right now and that alone will set me back a few. I got the meat and will run some K775 med terrain on the Maico. The forks come apart this spring for a build but no real uprade other than keep the gravy in the tube.

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
Maicos are fun! my buddy owns a 68 maico 360 and 69 mc 250. there both really easy to start using your left foot but the maico 490, thats another story. those germans and europeans with there left hand, left foot, sitin on bike starting make us right hand americans look silly. really though, how can you start a maico 490 while siting on the bike? that should be impossible!

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
WhenVintageBobRuled,
do that bike has some electronic ignition? points ignition?
sorry, i was born when that bike was made...

with some digital, programable ignition you may benefit from increased torque or horsepower and response. but also easier starting. you retard the ignition on idle just like a four stroke ignition and some modern 2stroke does to prevent back kicking...

VB, don´t install the PVL internal rotor to that bike, please. unless you want to ride one wheel only or kill who ever rides behind you... ;)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
No its old school cdi. Most of the Jap mx bikes changed around the early 70's from points. Ditch the points when ever possible though on them old dogs! They run cleaner and I do not have to fear dirt/water as bad as with points. Changing the rotational mass on the crank is NEVER in my plan, why I despise the flywheel weights. My oldest son and I have an XR80~85 plan, it gets the cdi first! The only 2 mods I ran across from back in the day, and probably still hold true, run 2 head gaskets and knock her up to a 500? Oh, and lots of loctite. Vintage Bob

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
My oldest son and I have an XR80~85 plan, it gets the cdi first!
cr 85 frame with xr 80 engine? lots of fun...
or maybe xr frame and cr85 engine? lots of dangerous fun... :)

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
my uncle has a 480, he's 6' 5" and 240 lbs and it'll pull wheelies with him on the gas tank. scary bike!

those kick starters are nasty. good leg workout! ;)

I've got his old boots, with a nice hole punched in the side.

Last edited:

In come tacks

Feb 10, 2010
I still own this bike but it's in another state right now. The kicker on the left made a lot of sense to me. The guy I got it from started using ether, but I just disassembled and re-sealed it. It always started afterward, and I'm about 5'10" 140lbs. And they are solid state and make for a fun bike, but jumping it was crazy. They are truly wheelie machines IMO.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
150/80-18? What are you doin'? Buildin' a chopper? :nener:

150mm is 5.9 inches, you may have better luck that way?

Just run the widest thing you can find, I don't think you'll even want the little bit of extra traction you might get from that 150.......and a smaller tire is lighter anyway. ;)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
That is 1 beautiful AMERICAN MADE tire Dale, Thanks!!! Joe, its in the book, oem stock size on the 82 was a 5.10, the 83 amendment to the shop manual clearly states, 150/80-18. Let me tell you all the bizarre and street tires that pulls up on google! Found some killer prices on the M51 Dunlop, but its made for the 4 stroke and too small. Too small a tire will not hook up and shred it like hamburger meat. The 250 needs a 120/90, and I think thats the same as the 450f's? I am finding some 120/90's, 120/100 and thats about it, except for Dale's tire, that tire is a beast! Steel belted? I seen a smoking deal on a set of michelin S-12's 120/100. Never had them before, but I think its too tall. I have to get soft to intermediate, that does not help either. The kenda millville looks sweet, I have never had good life out of kendas of old. Not too many bridgestones around, oddly enough. Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Where on Earth does one find the oem rear shock length? American Honda, again? I have received estimates from 14 3/4" from WP, but its really for an 82. The 84 500 was supposed to be the correct length, no, 17" is too long. I can not find any specs, a fitment chart, anything. And everyone who says they know, seemingly does not. Accept sending Ohlins 6 to 800 and they may send me what I need? The most positive answer I have found is, its the same as a Gas Gas 250? That helps a lot, NOT! Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The rear tire looks too narrow. A michelin 120/90-18. My son showed me a 120/90-19 maxxis, its huge, way wider? I believe the older 500's are running 120/100-18? I was supposed to have been riding it today though. Till the rear brake stay and rear brake hub collars, sleeves and seals looked fishy. They are missing half of the parts here and there. After way too much fun searching the net, these parts and any resemblance no longer exist? I shall see what the hardware store has, and some of the seals are still available. Then came the carb. Mine came with a 38 keihn pj flatslide. Cool, I even have an extra laying around. Nope, does not fit at all. Too short in back, and needs to be an inch longer in front. I sure have a bunch of 38 mikuni round slides, no keihns though. I am going to try 1 of the old dog mikuni's, they have never failed me, entirely. 100 dollars and maybe fleabay can come through with the keihn round slide that came with it? I fear the latter is the best ticket for some reason? Its looking killer over all though! And I really need a stinking camera! While I was digging around the net, I came across some information that the 87 cr 250 v force will fit the 480? I have been wondering how this was happening, as v force makes nada for this bike. If I could get my hands on an engine lathe and some aluminum? After market bushing and seal kits for cr brake stays. Colors extra. Vintage Bob

Top Bottom