i got the holeshot the first time i rode my new bike!

mx4life

Feb 8, 2007
i was at the line and i wasn't sure what gear to start in so i did what the guy with the 4stroke beside me did, 2nd gear, and i when the gate dropped i was first out and had a huge lead around the first corner sadly i ended up finishing 9th because i fell twice but it was so cool, and my 250f was sooo much better than a 125 2 stroke its amazing

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
Good job. I'm always the guy at the back of the pack fighting for 17th place because I suck at the launch. What exactly do you do on the launch, throttle and clutch wise?

mx4life

Feb 8, 2007
i hold down the clutch and rev my bike almost wide open after it goes sideways and watch for the damn gate to move and let go on the friggen clutch and then BRAPPP! lol

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
pop it, hold it so you're almost moving.

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
150rguy said:
pop it, hold it so you're almost moving.
Dumping (popping) the clutch on the start is a bad thing. It will usually result in one of:

• Too much power and too much traction will result in, at worst, a loop out, or at best, merely a wheelie that you have to let off to get under control.
  • Not enough power and too much traction will bog the engine and you'll be putting away from the gate at low RPMs and have to start slipping the clutch again to get back in the power.
  • Too much power and not enough traction will result in wheel spin. As long as it goes straight, that isn't too much of a problem (other than being slow), but it can get sideways and sometime hook up and loop you out or throw you into the bike beside you.

Much better to hold the bike at 1/2 throttle with the clutch dragging just enough to try to move you until the gate mechanism starts to move. When it does, full throttle and controlled release of the clutch lever.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
High Lord Gomer said:
the clutch dragging just enough to try to move you
Thats what I said. I pop the clutch from there and have holeshoted 4 races in the past 3 months. So I guess it works for me.

Top Bottom