Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
Hi all! My hand is healing nicely and I will soon be back on my bike. In the meantime I have a couple questions:

First, I am going to buy the owner's manual for my bike. Is it an owner's manual like I get with cars that focuses on in depth things like "features" and wiper blade replacement? Or is it a "shop" manual like the Chilton's I have for my Bronco? I guess what I'm asking is, do I need to buy a different manual, or will the owner's / supplement work?

Second... I want to be in the habit of cleaning my bike after every ride. I was told by one friend to clean everything using a rag and WD-40. What do you all reccommend? (I love that Orange stuff, but it seems like that might be bad.)

Thank you all in advance!

Dawg

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
Hi Dawg,

There are two different manuals: the typical "owner's manual" and the actual service manual. The service manual is the one you want - it gives the details on repairs, like the Chilton's for your Bronco. The service manual should be between $20 and $30 from your dealer.

-Lutz

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Check on eBay as well. They sell there regularly for about half off dealer price.
WD-40 Will keep things lubed and from oxidizing but it attracts dust like crazy. My washing routine is to start with a bucket of warm water dipped from the hot tub and add a cap full of Tide liquid laundry detergent. It really cuts the dirt and rinses well. Then after it has dried off, I use a Silicon type spray. It drys and leaves a silicon layer that doesn't attract dust and mud won't stick to it. Washing the bike after it has been preped with this will be easy. I think that orange stuff is hard on aluminum. If you use it, test it on a scrap piece of aluminum to see how it reacts. Anodized aluminum will probably be o.k. though.
Don't use Armor All on the seat!!!! You won't be able to stay on the bike. That stuff is slipperyer than a greased pig.

Last edited:

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Agree with above statements. WD-40 is an "old secret" that my Dad put on me. Shines up plastic real nice, but will tend to attract dust. I wonder how the newer "spray wax in a bottle" stuff would work? The owner's manual is a real treat. Stick with the service manual unless you need to know the location of convenient items such as brake and clutch levers and where the kick starter is located.

louis

Sep 2, 2002
Hot water through the garden hose works great. Bucket of hot soap water and a round toilet brush. Not that power washer your wife got you for Father's Day.

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
Using a hand cleaner and a dish cleaning type brush is good to get any extra oil splooge off of the rear fender and around the swing arm. If your bike is stock you'll know what I'm talking about. Any of those hand cleaners for cutting grease work great. It also gets rid of that built up dull dingy look that plastic tends to get after a while. Scrub at it and wash it off. Oh yeah, Honda brite is really good too.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Can't say enough about ProClean products. ProClean makes a bike cleaner that strips away all grease and mud. They also have a plastic polish that can even make Yamaha plastics look good!

Top Bottom