i have a problem with the midvalve

FSracing

Jun 18, 2000
Hello guys,

I ended up ordered the midvalve conversion to a check plate from RaceTech. I got it today....really happy to try something it's suppose to make my kx 250 01 forks better for trails riding... The problem is i put apart the mid valve i place every thing in order to put it back in case...and i realize that the removal kit is for Showa forks :| and even not racetech mention that when it's time to order....they mention only 6MM kit and there is nothing else that 6MM kit.

I have read lot's of post here about this kit from racetech..guys bought the kit for there kayaba forks ...did they drill the whole kit to make it fit or what ????? i am lost now...put everything apart and i can't do nothing.

thanks .....i need help.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
To convert the mod to a race tech type setup all you need is lots of lift on the midvalve, yopu dont need to actually change the shims at all-just modify the mid to allow it to move over 2mm from the piston face-you may be able to use the small return spring rt supply in the kit.

FSracing

Jun 18, 2000
ok then...here is my mid valve stack i have only the OD
Rebound stack
Piston
25 (x3)
15 (x2)
23(x3)

Small tube
Oring
cup

Which valve you'd take off..??.the spring in the kit is small i have to take off the small cylinder...but the piston take place on the face of this small cylinder (tube)... HAAAA i am so close

Thanks

FSracing

Jun 18, 2000
i mesured only 2.5mm total distance between the o ring and piston to build the stack. Can i go without spring and leave the oring alone...should i keep the (2) 20mm at each end and the (3) 25mm and take off all the others.

Marcus thanks for your quick answer i have to tell you, you're way faster than Race-tech helps...they never came back to me since the beginning.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You need to remove the o ring then fit the spring supplied in the kit(assuming it fits over the small tube, then you need to measure how far the stack moves away from the piston-this isnt easy but i use a feeler guage and push it between the stack and the piston-i think it will measure around 1.5mm-so you will have to remove some shims to get to the desired 2mm+.

you could remove some of these

15 (x2)
23(x3)

you could go something like

hope this helps-its the kind of thing that takes seconds when you have someone to show youm but is hard to describe.

FSracing

Jun 18, 2000
Do you think it might be wrong to stretch the spring a little bit, just to make it little bit bigger...

FSracing

Jun 18, 2000
Should i drill the cup too with one small hole as the kit for the Showa? What the purpose of that hole anyway...

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Streching the spring tends to damage them alot, you shouldnt need to use any parts from the rt kit apart from the spring.

endowiper

May 25, 2004
Good luck with the gold valve...I put one in my '91 KX250 and it made a HUGE difference for trail riding.

FSracing

Jun 18, 2000
didn't buy the gold valve but only the wrong midvalve conversion kit(showa insteand of KAyaba ..stupid Racetech informations) . I ended up by stretching the little spring ...barely stretched.. to make it fit over the small tube then as Marcus said mesured the lift to be more than 2mm there was no lift at all before?? With only 2.5mm to play with the stack i had to take off lot's of shims and i finaly kept only the (x3) 25mmx0.11 = 0.33 = appro 2.17 mm lift. Actually i have to wait couple of days before try it...since i 've had to send back my shock to FC for a second revalve...(Too stiff)

Thanks for your help....btw racetech didn't come to me back again...

endowiper

May 25, 2004
I don't understand why they wouldn't exchange the kit you got with the proper one. I also don't understand how they set you up with the wrong kit in the first place, I'm sure you told them what year,make and model! I didn't have any problems at all with them. I've bought from them 3 x's, all different bikes, and was always pleased with the results. :think:

FSracing

Jun 18, 2000
the problem is...check out the web site and try to order the midvalve conversion for the kayaba fork....!

you'll find only a 6MM kit which...and i was suppose to find out was for Showa forks.. wasn't mentionned before ordered. The first thing i ve read in the instruction was MIDVALVE conversion FOR SHOWA ! LEt me tell you it would have been so easy to write in there site...whatever it was my wrong not knowing the MM i needed to put in my forks... But knowing this today i still dont understand why i cant find the kit for the kayaba...

And why nobody from Racetech came back to me... But as Marcus said, you dont really need those parts but only the spring...which i stretched to make it fit...

JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
I don't think you should use any part of the kit if I'm understanding your situation correctly. You were sent a Showa MV conversion kit instead of the Kayaba; therefore, the IDs of all of the components are wrong - including the spring. IMO, if you use the supplied spring, it will bind on the collar (tube) and cause the MV/checkplate to work incorrectly. Try calling Race Tech instead of trying to do everything online. They will probably exchange the kit for you if you haven't already boogered up the spring.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…