MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
So, here is the bike straight from the dealer:
20181019_155706.jpg

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I rode last weekend. Took my 2002 YZ250 out first. Love that bike and 2 strokes. So, came back in and took the new bike out.

Took a while to adjust, but the ergos were spot on. Felt very comfortable on the bike. I was a little worried about jumps. I didn't have a feel for the sound and gearing, plus, I didn't want to endo if I chopped the throttle. The suspension felt great. After a few more times out on the track, I was getting pretty comfortable. Love the traction coming out of corners. Finally got more comfortable not shifting so much. Figured out how it handles in the air and I like it.

Finally, I uploaded the TP 2.0 v3 map using my phone. That really changed the low end of the bike as well as giving it a bit more hit. Not sure I need the hit, but I liked the low end delivery better than stock.

For the last laps of the day, I took the 2-stroke back out. The bike felt smaller and lighter, but I realized that it didn't fit nearly as comfortably and I actually felt cramped. I also was having trouble figuring out the jumps again. The new bike ruined this one for me.

In short, I really like the new bike on the track. I haven't ridden it on trails, but I can see that I may still prefer the 2002 for slower speed woods riding.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Good stuff, thanks for posting it.

When I made the move from 2t to 4 and felt some of the same stuff riding them back to back, especially on the jumps. While I never air it out enough to need brake stabs on the 2t, it was nice to be able to just chop the throttle on the 4 stroke.

After a full day on the YZF, the CR felt really light and free-wheeling. The lack of engine braking was super obvious. It’s amazing how “lazy” you can be on the thumper and still be as fast ( or spodely as the case may be). Different animals for sure.

I’d love to see someone develop an modern, injected 2stroke. There should be a lower cost option available, it’s getting insanely expensive to be in the sport.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Cost is one of the reasons it took me so long to make the jump. Seemed ridiculous to spend 8K at the time and my 2002 with the Eric Gorr and Jeremy Wilkey mods is still close to anything newer in 2t.

Good point on the braking too. I almost crashed when I discovered that the 250 doesn't slow down without a lot more brake. I also realized that the rear tire I'd been nursing along was trash. _P_

13FoxTrot

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2018
Florida
congradulations on the new YZF! One of these days Im going to be able to order a new bike and all the trick parts! Thats a dream that will come true. Hard work will win. Dont think I'm compaining that I cant do it now. Im not. Sooner than later I'll be doing the same1.

Top Bottom