i just bought my first 2 stroke!

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
ok i just went out and bought my self a yz 125 2003. now im used to 4 strokes 230 250 150 and 100 is what i ride either mine or my buddys. but now heres a question, what tips do you have for riding trails woods and maybe even a bit of track or open area? thancks oh and i think im becoming a 2 stroke guy with just one ride.

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
for woods and trails just remember that you will never have the ability to just crawl around like a 4 stroke you just have to keep the rpm's up, make sure you have enough speed attempting hills and what not because you wont have the lowend and you will stall and also 2 strokes dont really like staying at the same speed they like to be under load or accelerating

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Keep two fingers on the clutch at all times. If it starts bogging out on a hill or coming out of a curve, keep on the throttle and feather the clutch a couple times. This will get the RPM's back up and get you right back in the power very quickly. Clutch on the downhills, you want to avoid using the engine braking that the 2t doesn't have much of anyway as it can oil starve it and cause damage. If you're coasting to a stop from a high speed run in an open space, do not downshift through the gears to slow the bike up. Just pull the clutch and use the brakes to slow/stop.

The 125 will need a lot of clutch work compared to the 4t's you're coming off of. It's all good, it will teach you more technique and help you become a better rider.

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
thank you for the responses i bet they will help. but one more question, i ride my little 150 threw rivers basicly and it still goes perfect. now will this 2 stroke be the same way or should i avoid water.

FNG

May 2, 2008
If you are over 150lbs you will want to go up 1 tooth on the rear sprocket, yes, you can cross water just fine.

SZKIRM125

Jun 10, 2010
For the woods keep the stock pipe and for tracks and wide open places get a FMF or if you want top speed get a pro circuit. And For the woods drop a tooth in the rear and keep the front stock. And for the woods keep the RPM's up.
Good Luck :ride:

scottiedawg66

Sep 26, 2006
julien_d said:
Keep two fingers on the clutch at all times. If it starts bogging out on a hill or coming out of a curve, keep on the throttle and feather the clutch a couple times. This will get the RPM's back up and get you right back in the power very quickly. Clutch on the downhills, you want to avoid using the engine braking that the 2t doesn't have much of anyway as it can oil starve it and cause damage. If you're coasting to a stop from a high speed run in an open space, do not downshift through the gears to slow the bike up. Just pull the clutch and use the brakes to slow/stop.

The 125 will need a lot of clutch work compared to the 4t's you're coming off of. It's all good, it will teach you more technique and help you become a better rider.

this is truly top shelf advice.

bomb through all water hazards with reckless abandon, and keep the momentum up! welcome to actually riding a fun bike that requires some skills to get around the trails on!

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
ha ya ive noticed it takes some serious skill to ride 2 strokes on some of these trail, i have a whole new respect for all you 2 stroke guys.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Once you get tired of that 125, if you move to a 200, 250, or 300 smoker, you will find they have much more bottom end and are quite a bit easier to ride in the woods once you get used to the power.

Top Bottom