Oops

Nov 17, 2007
Hi all, nice to see a place where I can learn lots.

My boyfriend talked me into getting a dirt bike recently. I thought it would be kinda fun, and something we could do together. I "rode" (more like sat on) one when I was a lil girl, but had no other experience. So he went out and found me a 1997 RM 125. Of course it needed a top end, and some other work on it... which I got to help with!! Now I'm a complete addict.

After waiting weeks to ride it, I finally managed to take a few laps of my riding arena (Not recommended for a new rider... there's NOT enough room!) then we hauled it out into the pasture and WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

And now I have a problem. all day long I sit here looking at the hills I could be riding on! It's so hard to tear myself away... I don't think my poor man knew what kind of a monster he was creating. :laugh:

But I have a question...
When will I know it's time to move up to a bigger better faster bike? I know that my 125 is all I need for my ability now (and in the wise words of my better half "one should not ride over their comfort level unless they want to get hurt"). But I'm confused about what criteria is used for determining the proper size of bike, to rider, to ability. Just wanting to learn, not trying to over achieve... yet.

Thanks!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'll move this one into the women's forum.

Welcome the sport and DRN!

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Welcome to the world of Biking.

I had a similar experience with my hubby not knowing what kind of monster he created when he taught me to ride. 5 years later I am still riding and enjoying every minute of it.

I decided to upgrade bikes when I felt I needed more power, but I also started on a 4 stroke and upgraded to a 250 2 stroke. You might not want to upgrade your bike, since it is full size and not considered a beginner bike. But then again that is your decision.

Welcome to DRN

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Welcome to DRN! Its funny how you talk about looking at hills and picturing yourself riding on them now -- that is EXACTLY what happened to me when I started riding. I never looked at the scenery the same way again, lol.

I agree with WomanRider, you may not need a bigger bike right now, but you will need to take different things into consideration. I would, however, recommend thowing a leg over any and every bike you can get your hands on and give it a whirl.

Good luck!

Oops

Nov 17, 2007
Thanks for the welcome all.

So far I have been a bit intimidated by my boyfriend's YZ 250. But I'll take the advice to give it a whirl just as soon as I feel like I have all the basics down.

But after riding yesterday, I have a NEW question =)

Is there such a thing as winter riding gear? I'm trying to find some riding pants that are nice and warm. I'm such a cold weather wuss!

Apr 30, 2007
Heya and welcome to DRN!

Actually, I hope you find this to turn into more of a lifestyle than a hobby :)

As for cold weather gear, it rather depends on how cold are you talking about. What temps are you thinking?

You could try a search of the forums here, usually there's a wealth of information of almost any type!

For more general things though, I'd first suggest long underwear - even if you pick some up from the guys' section. Layers are definitely a key item, the more the better! To top it all off, find something windproof to wear as a jacket!

For winter riding one year, I wore long underwear, a pair of flannel lounge pants, jeans, and then over top of that I had insulated coveralls, but I'm sure a pair of motocross pants would fit over it all provided I had the right size.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Long underwear rules!! Also, you can put grip warmers on your bike. Get an enduro jacket and layer up your clothes. You don't have to overdo it though because you will warm up if you are riding. I would just start with the long under garments and an enduro jacket. There's also some glove liners that you can wear if desired. I bought some but never used them.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Try kickstarting your BF's bike and you may decide to stay with the 125 a long time!

It will be time to move up to a bigger bike when the 125 doesn't meet your needs. Perhaps it won't be fast enough on the smooth dirt roads. Perhaps it's too much work to get up the steep hills. Perhaps the thrill factor is lacking. As long as your 125 is fun to ride, keep riding it.

The extra power of a 250 can get you into trouble faster but it can sometimes get you out of trouble. The control on the right handlebar is the throttle, if you don't twist it all the way the power of a 250 can be tamed. Riding at 1/4 throttle on a 250 might tend to foul plugs, however.

Rod

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Welcome to DRN! As far as "moving up", most of the women that I race MX with went from a 125cc 2-stroke to a 250cc 4-stroke bike. If you ever get a chance to ride a 250F, give it a try! The bike is the same size as a 125, just a little heavier because of the motor. But I find the 4-stroke power smoother and more dependable, and easier to ride. As for being cold... I think everyone here nailed it... layers and wind gear. Have fun! :ride:

Halfast816

Mar 21, 2005
SImple if you want to be a better rider stay on the two stroke as long as you can. They will teach you technique, precise shifting, using good lines to keep the momentum going. PLus won't turn your wallet..or purse inside out when something lets go. On the other hand if you want a bike with the ability to mask all your shortcomings as a rider by all means get a four stroke.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Welcome!!

I ride in cold weather too,and as everbody says,layers and windproof gear(especially the jacket).I also like to wear wool socks,I find shifting and braking difficult when I can't feel my feet.

Stick with two strokes for sure .250's are fun ,I started on a little rt100,barely rode it at all and went straight to a 2 stroke 250 when I turned 13.It was way huge for me and very intimidating at first,but has taught me some important lessons on what to do ,and what NOT to do!I have been enjoying the 250 for years now and could never wish for more power.

250's are great fun,but if you still enjoy your 125,than stick with it.Plus,125's are lighter and easier to start.Good luck and I hope I was some help.

Top Bottom