oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I am trying to avoid the static look and liked the way these came out but-
1) is the sand in the foreground to distracting
2) I think the focus is sharp and DOF looks good to me but???
3 I haven't enhanced either in any way and thought maybe just a bit mor contrast?
4) which one looks better

atom1.jpg

a3-1.jpg

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I don't like the first one, I'm immediately drawn to and distracted by the guys in the background. The third one would be the winner IMO, that being said I like to shoot a lot tighter, it's not right or wrong, more personal preference. All of those shots I'd have been shooting with the camera vertical and been as tight as I could without cutting off bike/rider or roost.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Chili said:
I don't like the first one, I'm immediately drawn to and distracted by the guys in the background. The third one would be the winner IMO, that being said I like to shoot a lot tighter, it's not right or wrong, more personal preference. All of those shots I'd have been shooting with the camera vertical and been as tight as I could without cutting off bike/rider or roost.
Thank you I am going to try getting used to shooting vertical. The more I look at the sand it looks dirty to me and I agree the one of Kevin looks better. Just wish we could get more roost flying at our track :| . Seems like the only place is in this manmade sand stretch

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
oldguy said:
Thank you I am going to try getting used to shooting vertical. The more I look at the sand it looks dirty to me and I agree the one of Kevin looks better. Just wish we could get more roost flying at our track :| . Seems like the only place is in this manmade sand stretch

Shooting vertically is far easier with a vertical grip, I know you likely don't want to spend anymore cash since you are going to upgrade the body but if the right deal came along I'd grab one. You also get the added benefit of having two batteries in the camera so you can shoot longer without having to change batteries.

As far as roost, you're on the track committee aren't you? Disc it or harrow it and water, repeat several times. Be prepared for the hardpack guys to bitch you made the track muddy :laugh:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Chili said:
As far as roost, you're on the track committee aren't you? Disc it or harrow it and water, repeat several times. Be prepared for the hardpack guys to bitch you made the track muddy :laugh:
No I stay away from the track committee- I do the publicity and gate. On race day Spider is one of the biggest whiners about it is to muddy and the first to cry it is to dusty at the end of the day :coocoo: . Unfortunately all the pre race prep seems to be a lost cause by days end especially when it is 90* and 760 riders turn out. We really need someone to buy us about 1/2 million yards of loamy dirt to cover everything up

Top Bottom