lowpass

~SPONSOR~
Jun 22, 2003
All right, I'm caving.

I ride a CR450X and a BMW F650 GS Dakar. I ride well - by no means pro - but solid.

I have a problem now. I have toured Baja at the same time as a Malcolm Smith ride, where most bikes were orange. I watched the Red Bull Last Man Standing where at least 1/3 of the bikes were orange. I ride a lot of back roads on my BMW where.....You get it.

So, I want an orange bike, if nothing else, to know.

This bike will be off road solely, at least a 250 and best a 2-stroke. I don't have a ton a cash, so looking for a few years old.

Any suggestions on models, years, issues, just anything I should know on this mission? Remember, I want to know. I want to ride a legend.

lowpass

~SPONSOR~
Jun 22, 2003
I need a KTM

All right, I'm caving.

I ride a CR450X and a BMW F650 GS Dakar. I ride well - by no means pro - but solid.

I have a problem now. I have toured Baja at the same time as a Malcolm Smith ride, where most bikes were orange. I watched the Red Bull Last Man Standing where at least 1/3 of the bikes were orange. I ride a lot of back roads on my BMW where.....You get it.

So, I want an orange bike, if nothing else, to know.

This bike will be off road solely, at least a 250 and best a 2-stroke. I don't have a ton a cash, so looking for a few years old.

Any suggestions on models, years, issues, just anything I should know on this mission? Remember, I want to know. I want to ride a legend.

tblrk2008

Feb 24, 2008
I know its probably beyond your budget right now, but buddy I ride with has one of the 300 2-stroke electric start KTMs......very bad azz. For what its worth.

Roost1

Nov 27, 2004
any 250 or 300 will be a good bike. stay away from the Sx unless your motocrossing. The 03-04 models had the suspension with the most issues however they will probably be fixed by now with revalving. The 250 is more racey and the 300 is more trail oriented, 05-07 are your best choices if you can afford one that new.

lowpass

~SPONSOR~
Jun 22, 2003
Thanks!

I am getting, outside of these forums, that the 300 is the way to go. I'm definatley not in the market for an motocross bike...

I'm going shopping.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
SpeedyManiac said:
KTM is for sheep. Yes, they're decent bikes, but they aren't the only player in the offroad world. GasGas is another strong contender.
no they're not.

silly

;)

denteen

Feb 12, 2007
KTM Choice

I have a KTM 250SX for "casual trail riding", and I can tell you it is rough on bumpy trails! I would give the 300 a shot myself. Also, it apparently has much better power for the hills/climbing. D.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I prefer the 250 for trail riding. The 300 tires me out a little more due to the extra motor, but both are fine choices. The 300 can be tuned for pretty amazing low end grunt. Nice if you like to ride lazy and a gear high.

The '02 250 exc has an excellent motor for a 250 2t. Very powerful everywhere. Depending on where you are, you might be able to find one in the $2,000 - $2,500 range.

Basically, any 250 - 300 exc or mxc from '98 on can be a great trail bike if it is set up right.

I know of an '05 250 exc for sale in Northern California. It's a very nice trail bike, with a nice smooth motor.

My '02 has the suspension done by Novation up in in Washington. He does great work - very plush on the trail.

FWIW, the 300 is also a great choice and don't overlook the 200. Those things are a blast, especially if the trails are tight.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
SpeedyManiac said:
KTM is for sheep. Yes, they're decent bikes, but they aren't the only player in the offroad world. GasGas is another strong contender.

Gas Gas also are good bikes, but finding a dealership for parts/assistance is another thing. KTM has infiltrated most areas, so it is much easier to work with than GasGas. I'm guessing that over the next 10 years that will change though. I think with the reputation that Gas Gas is building for themselves that it won't be long before they are nipping at the heels of KTM's market...

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Parts aren't a problem. All GasGas dealers are better stocked than 95% of dealers for the rest of the bikes. And if they don't have it, they'll have it for you in 1-2 days. I've never missed a race or ride waiting for parts or due to bikes breaking down (they rival XR reliability).

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
i would argue the gas gas reliability factor one of my homies has a ec200 and has had nothing but trouble. if i were going to buy a two stroke i would look for a couple year old cr, yz, kx, or rm because you can buy those bikes sooooo cheap and then spend the money on having the suspension setup. parts are very easy to find and cheap. i do love my ktm but the parts are expensive new or used. just my two cents.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
SpeedyManiac said:
Parts aren't a problem. All GasGas dealers are better stocked than 95% of dealers for the rest of the bikes. And if they don't have it, they'll have it for you in 1-2 days. I've never missed a race or ride waiting for parts or due to bikes breaking down (they rival XR reliability).

I'm sure all Gas Gas dealers are well stocked, but finding a Gas Gas dealer is another issue. They might be more prominent in Canada, but I've yet to see one here in the states. I've looked up their dealership locater for my area and found two, but when I went by they didn't have anything in stock. Any bike you wanted, you had to order it. No chance to get a test ride...

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The dealers may only carry a handful (maybe) of bikes unless they are really large since the sales volume is very, very small compared to a Big 5 dealer. Parts are not a problem. If the dealer doesn't have it (pretty rare), the distributor (GoFasters) will have it and have it shipped ASAP. Like I said, I've never missed a ride or race due to my bike. When I was on Hondas it wasn't uncommon to wait 1-2 weeks for a part since the dealer didn't have it and it was back-ordered from the distributor. Yet most people are fine with this since every town seams to have a big 5 dealer even if they have nothing for parts inventory. Oh, and parts are cheaper than KTM, and comparable and even cheaper than Japanese parts. A new radiator (crash damage) set me back $200. KTM's are over $400!

For reliability, my 01 EC200 has over 1000 hours of hard riding and racing on the top end and is still running fine. Compression is finally starting to drop, but it still starts fine and pulls me around great.

If you're interested in test riding a bike, go post a message on GasGasRider.org. All of us are fanatical about the bikes and wouldn't hesitate to let someone take it for a spin to try it out. Just be prepared to have some cash lying around, because once you try one you'll probably buy one.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sort of tough to go wrong with either the KTM or the GasGas 2 strokes IMHO. If I were buying used it would solely come down to the condition of the bike. If you threw in a WR250 Husky to the mix you would have 3 very good choices with 2 that might be considered oddball but that was the case with the orange bikes not that long ago. As far as the GG having XR reliability.... well I wouldn't go quite that far.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001

2005 or newer 250 or 300 EXC/XCW.

sci85

Mar 27, 2008
Check out Dirt Rider's Torture test in this months issue or on the website. The winner was? An almost bone stock KTM 300 XC-We. If I had the bucks, I'd own one.

LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
SpeedyManiac said:
If i could find a strong dealer for any other manufacturer that makes a good two stroke i might change. but right now the best two stroke imo is a ktm. they have good solid dealers in most parts and there is good aftermarket for them. until the less known brands have a solid market, are selling well and i dont have to drive three cities down to get one i am stick with orange.
You cant go wrong.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
SpeedyManiac said:
The dealers may only carry a handful (maybe) of bikes unless they are really large since the sales volume is very, very small compared to a Big 5 dealer. Parts are not a problem. If the dealer doesn't have it (pretty rare), the distributor (GoFasters) will have it and have it shipped ASAP. Like I said, I've never missed a ride or race due to my bike. When I was on Hondas it wasn't uncommon to wait 1-2 weeks for a part since the dealer didn't have it and it was back-ordered from the distributor. Yet most people are fine with this since every town seams to have a big 5 dealer even if they have nothing for parts inventory. Oh, and parts are cheaper than KTM, and comparable and even cheaper than Japanese parts. A new radiator (crash damage) set me back $200. KTM's are over $400!

For reliability, my 01 EC200 has over 1000 hours of hard riding and racing on the top end and is still running fine. Compression is finally starting to drop, but it still starts fine and pulls me around great.

If you're interested in test riding a bike, go post a message on GasGasRider.org. All of us are fanatical about the bikes and wouldn't hesitate to let someone take it for a spin to try it out. Just be prepared to have some cash lying around, because once you try one you'll probably buy one.
One thing you continue to assume is that everyone has a dealer nearby. GasGas is a fine product but the simple fact is their dealership network and "showroom" bikes are not where people can browse. This doesn't make the bike worse than a KTM or other bike, just unavailable. When GasGas resolves this issue, they'll likely compete with KTM at the race course in higher numbers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom