I may have too much rear tire

rdsrf

Feb 3, 2008
I just bought a Pirelli MT16 120/110-18 rear tire for my 2000 KDX 220. The guy at the shop I bought it from said it would fit but it looks huge by large to me. Is this tire too big for my bike? I've read some stuff on here saying it's a tire for a bike with much more power. I was having some traction issues (we ride a lot of tight, muddy stuff with lots of roots and ruts out here) so I wanted to go with a bigger tire. I think I may have overdone it though. Anybody run this tire on thier KDX? Thanks for any help.

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
I have never run it nor seen it, but it sure seems like there is plenty of clearance on a KDX - I do not predict you will have problems with it rubbing.

rdsrf

Feb 3, 2008
It does seem to fit in the swing arm OK, but I've read a lot about people saying the KDX doesn't have adequate power to run a tires this size. That's more what I'm concerned with.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
I run a pirelli 110/100-18 now and have also run a 120. Both with a 13/50 sprocket set up and had zero problems. You said you wanted a bigger tire to begin with so run what you think is right. Gear it some if you need too but the bike is not lacking the power for the tire.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I'm running a 120 michelin on my kdx now. I like it. Works very well in rut's that's where I notice the biggest difference. It's holding up very well also maybe because it don't spin as bad as 100.

rdsrf

Feb 3, 2008
Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm looking forward to giving it a try and hopefully it will wrok well for me.

camrider

Jan 24, 2004
mideastrider said:
I'm running a 120 michelin on my kdx now. I like it. Works very well in rut's that's where I notice the biggest difference. It's holding up very well also maybe because it don't spin as bad as 100.
Keep in mind that Mfg's sizes vary, even with the same number. All 120's do not measure the same. For example, the 120 Michelin runs noticeably smaller than most other Mfg's 120. If you run the factory stock stock size for a KDX, the Michelin will look very skinny. Not sure about Pirelli.

Mokwepa

Jan 27, 2008
Does the tire not run too close to the chain? Checked on my 06 kdx and the chain seems to be very close to the tread. Im also kean to move up a size from stock.

rdsrf

Feb 3, 2008
Looks OK to me. I should have it up and running tomorrow...I'll let you know if I have any problems with the chain.

rogercutford

Feb 19, 2008
I run a Kenya trail master two (d.o.t. Legal) 100/100/18 best tire i ever had gear ratio is 12/47 i have no problems with bogging or hill climbing, that the tire i rec. plus only 57.00 out of chapperal's

Top Bottom