lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
I really miss the 125`s. Seems like the sport has turned into a boring money based drag race with some corners and jumps thrown in for amusment. There is no more excitment and thrills of the 125 riders of the past riding 45 min motos and the real race started 30 minutes into the moto. You were the"cream of the crop" if you were a 125 pro and you moved on to the 250 and open classes when you were too old or not competetive. It took guts and talent to bounce off anything to change direction and carry the speed, the starting gates had 40 riders that could all win on any given day, a over the edge 125 rider is now turned into a top 10 finisher on a 4 stroke easy to ride fart machine with good brakes getting the holeshot and it`s all over....exciting? :(

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
some place I read something would counter your opinion, like "what you want a rotary phone and a black and white tv"? LOL my answer is no, but want this sport to realize where it came from and not turn it into a bla, bla, biege sport. 125's took talent to ride, and I agree with your post above. In fact what better introductory, inexspensive machine for a teenager to ride and learn. Wait, I forgot this is the world of immeadiate gradification, and who gives to craps on what works........sorry i forgot this was 2007.

I guess i am still irked that they call "freestyle" motocross........ must be old.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I had the pleasure of watching a couple of talented riders pushing 125's around the track, it is one sweet sound! Dillon Hall #24 from district 17 and Andy Myers #80 from district 14, I heard Andy got messed up in a car wreck( hope he is better!) and got polluted with the 4t. A full gate of 125's would be sweet! Progress, yeah, we'll race with whatever.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I had the pleasure of watching a couple of talented riders pushing 125's around the track, it is one sweet sound!

See the Ryan Hughes transworld mx techniques video . . . :laugh:

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
we need to start putting pressure on the promoters to save our sport and tracks. A 88 dbl on bikes would phase out 4 strokes or choke them into submission and save our tracks from the noise closures, A 2 stroke revolution is starting to be seen over here in Europe and of course it will filter to the USA as everything does after a few years. They have 2 stroke only class in UK http://www.125mx.com/[/URL
Look at this

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
if you think 40 125's comming off the gate sounds sweet,you should have heard 40 500's leave the gate at a pro race.That sound made little children run for momma and gave me goosebumps along with butterflies in the stomach.With hindsight I wish I would have rented high end microphones etc to record that sound just for histories sake.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Andy Myers #80 from district 14, I heard Andy got messed up in a car wreck( hope he is better!)

He's fine the truck isn't, but he's okay. Him getting hurt was a rumor that got around.

We had the pleasure of watching Andy kick the butts of several modded 450s and 250fs this summer. It was one of the 20min "money motos". He won by 5-6 seconds. That was sweet..on a KTM 125 SX, with only an after market pipe and silencer.
DSCF4037a.jpg

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
Comments?

lynch racing said:
Ever stand in the first corner of a 500 GP race?you will never get the chance-it`s a shame.Ever seen a (pre2004)125 VM race on a hard European track after 3 days of steady rain and half the field was factory KTM`s-it`s a shame.Ever seen a modern "lites" race....... :(Who said motocross was suppose to be easy,that was the beauty of the race,the rider "riding" the bike,a 125 rider "rode" like a 125 rider,a 500 rider "rode" like a 500 rider,same tracks-completely different races(lines,style,strategies).The sport has become a expensive,commercial,homogenized,BLAH :blah:

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
MXGirl230 said:
He's fine the truck isn't, but he's okay. Him getting hurt was a rumor that got around.

We had the pleasure of watching Andy kick the butts of several modded 450s and 250fs this summer. It was one of the 20min "money motos". He won by 5-6 seconds. That was sweet..on a KTM 125 SX, with only an after market pipe and silencer.
DSCF4037a.jpg
Send him over here for a summer,He`d love it!!! :cool:

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
RYDMOTO said:
if you think 40 125's comming off the gate sounds sweet,you should have heard 40 500's leave the gate at a pro race.That sound made little children run for momma and gave me goosebumps along with butterflies in the stomach..
Don`t forget that it sucked all the oxygen out of the air and almost made your lungs implode also...thrilling :ohmy:

duke

Oct 9, 1999
You need to get a copy of Gary Semics historical accounting of MX. Its available on his web site. It depicts several 500 GP's through out the years, culminating with archived material from the 80's. Big, wide, rough, high speed tracks being traversed by riders on KX500's, CR's, KTM's, et al. You can detect a variance of line selection between the 250's shown and the 500s. There is little 125 action unfortunatley. Its always been my understanding that the 500's and 125's used the same basic lines, but for different reasons. The 125's for momentum and the 500's were too powerful to be manhandled, so the wider, smoother attack approach was warranted. There are a few "garage" level media offerings too. I had a guy sell me some old 8mm stuff convereted to DVD that featured 125 national events from the late 70's and early 80's, as well as the US 125 GP at Mid Ohio. I would say that the bikes then were producing HP commensurate to what an 80 does today. Irregardless, the riders and their bikes were flying by means of their taking lines similar to a road racer. Not a lot of cut of thrust tactics.

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
"I had a guy sell me some old 8mm stuff convereted to DVD that featured 125 national events from the late 70's and early 80's, as well as the US 125 GP at Mid Ohio."

Where'd ya get that??? That guy still around?? I'd really like to take a look at that stuff!! Any chance you could email me at hellbertos@yahoo.com ??

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
hellbertos said:
"I had a guy sell me some old 8mm stuff convereted to DVD that featured 125 national events from the late 70's and early 80's, as well as the US 125 GP at Mid Ohio."
Yea, I bought that also, lot of Yamaha promo but considering the equipment and cameras they had back then ,really not a bad job, Quite a epic project to transfer it all, thumbs up to him,.... :cool:

Top Bottom