Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Hey guys, I think I have a pretty widely spread problem here. By this Febuary I need $6000. I am 14 so I can't get a "hazardous" job because I am too young. Does anybody know of a way for a minor to get that kind of cash that soon? :think:

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
i got lucky, when i was 14 i got a job at my dads business working as a labourer. paid 9$ an hour(canadian) and i got 5000$ to buy my 02yz. Why do you need the money so fast? new bike im guessing. even if you get a job right now you wont even come close to getting that much. unless you drop out of school :S. Good luck

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I would say that your possiblities are pretty limited. A food store or department store, ex. Shoprite and Wal-Mart, would probably hire you. You could have pretty flexible hours with them, maybe work 2 nights during the weekdays after school, then on saturday and sunday. I work at Shoprite 2 days during weekday for four hours a day and on saturday for 4 hours, total of 16 hours a week, coming out to alittle under a hundred bucks a week. I know for sure this wont get you to 6000 by feb, but its a start. Plus, shoprite will give me benefits, like health, eye, dental insurance, so that helps if I decide to move out of the house after highschool. You might get more money working under-the-table, like for a landscaping or lawn mowing business. They might pay you $10 a hour, but the only time you would probably be free to work with them is on saturday. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure if too many people with full time jobs could make $6000 in 3 months, to spend on a toy, ex. dirtbike or car. That would come out to $500 a week you'd need to make, so my guess is it aint gonna happen without a lot of help from your parents, but its a good thing to get a job and earn money to buy stuff, even if you dont get enough to pay for something.

B

biglou

How about mowing lawns and light landscaping/handyman work? Free enterprise is a wonderful thing! Find as many yards to mow each week as you can handle and go to town. You might also check the newspaper for individuals looking for help around the house. The elderly often hire young folks for chores they can't do themselves. Be creative. Where there's a will, there's a way. :thumb:

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Thanks! I have a down payment on a CRF250X and it is going to be in the top 5 bikes so I need the money by Febuary. Thanks for the advice.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
hehe...good luck, I've been saving for my crf for months now and I'll still have to get financed when it arrives. Sell your current bike...that'll cut the 6G down a bit. You could probably get a co-laon with your parents.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Hmm round here, 14 year olds sell crack on the corner to make $$$$
AS for new bikes, well they just steal them from back yards like mine!
Heh heh just kidding, (really Im not, but im not suggesting you do that!)
but then again I heard the average street level dealer only makes about $21,000 a year.

Damn. I remember working for $3.35/hour when I was 15.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I'd think you'd be better off doing odd jobs than working for a company. Odd jobs pay ca$h whereas companies have to deduct taxes, etc.

Look for a way to make money selling things. A good salesman can make BIG bucks. Plus selling is a skill you can use your whole life.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by Zerotact
you have to be 18 to work at walmart now :<

Actually you can work there at 16, but they make you work as a cart pusher, cashier, or salesfloor. I've been at Wal-Mart since I was 16, I'm 21 now. All of the stores in this area you can be 16..unless some store is for some reason changing the rules. Which they can't do...but there is work there for minors to do. Just really strict on some things. Like minors MUST take their breaks and lunches on time. Also they have to be out by a certain time at night. Depends on the state though. In Michigan they have to be out by 10pm. Used to be 10:30 when I started...

There are some restaurants where you can work at 14, as a busboy. You can deliver papers too. Sometimes that pays pretty good, depending on the area where you live. Good luck on getting the money for your CRF..

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Can you get "matching funds" from Mom or Pop? That should be your first "selling job".

Kids around here can make some pretty good $$ mowing lawns. I'm talking $400 to $600 a week for a kid that will hustle! Even that takes a bit of cash though, you gotta have a mower. Wrong time of year for that, how about snow removal?

Whatever you do, you will have to bust your butt to get any real $$.

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Well to tell you the truth It may be close to impossible. :( This summer I was working 40 hour weeks at $7.75 and hour. During school I work about 10 hrs a week and I have only made $4,600 dollars (from Jan. 1st). But good luck on finding a job. :thumb:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Red, You need to make $2000 a month in order to have $6 ger by Feb.
That's $476 a week (considering 4.2 weeks in a month) If you worked a full 40 hours, it would take 16 hours on the weekend, leaving you 4.8 hours per night Monday-Friday.
This is a pretty Daunting task considering your age! If I were you and you are not worried about working hard, I would head out to the country and find a job on a farm. It could be a horse stable, Diary, or crop farm. But they will reward you for working hard. A Stable should let you work whenever you want as far as Stall cleaning.

I would go for the Stable, If the people(boarders) see you working your ars off they might ask you to work at their house on the side. That's where you can walk into some good money fort little work :thumb:

Good Luck!!

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
To take less stress off of you have you ever thought of getting a "stepping stone" bike? My current bike is one of these. I had an 86 YZ 250, then the CRF450 came out and I wanted one, but they were way too expensive for me, so I looked at my price range of $3000.00 and found that you can get a really good in-between bike for half the cost, save it for 2 years while you save the rest, then buy the bike you want when it's a few years old. For example, the CRF450's were going for something like 6800.00 when they were brand new, so I bought a 3000.00 bike, now I have another 2000.00 saved up, and I can sell my bike for about 2800.00, that's plenty to buy a 2002 CRF450 now, and that's the bike I wanted. Sometimes it's easier to take it one step at a time, and it's alot less stressful with less depreciation, your 6000.00 isn't going to be worth too much in 2 years from now, but 2 year old bikes depriciate slower than brand new bikes. Just a few things to think about.

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
Work your a$$ off my freind. At 15 I bought my Jeep off my uncle for 10,500 in may. Paid him 9000 cash, and my rents paid the 1500 until i paid them back that summer. I also had an xr 250 that I had bought at the time. End of that summer I had enough money to start on my system. Spent around 2500 to start, and had money in the bank. My advice to you, if you really want the bike. Work your ass off for it. I live on a farm and I started cutting grass when I was in 4th grade. Been Workin about 60-80 hrs a week in the summer for a long time. work,work, work!

BUY AND SELL. IT WORKS.

Bought a yz 80 for 750. Rode it for the summer. Took care of it. polished every part on the bike, and turned around and sold it for 1700. It was only 2-3 yrs old. Bought my xr 250 for about 750 as well. Rode it, cleaned, and painted her up nice. Sold it for 1300.
Bought POS odyssey for 500 bucks in parts. Took what i needed out of it to use to build my new one and sold it for 750.
List goes on.
Look in the want ad. Find a couple bikes and atvs for cheap, fix em up and sell them. Deals are out there.

How about Detailing cars, bikes etc.
You might be too young though. Im 19, started only a few yrs ago.
I pocket about 15-18 an hr cash . After supplies. Very good side money. On a sat and sun combined maybe 10 hrs I can earn like 200 bucks. (2 cars)

It can be done, but it will be tough. Since you are still in school your grades might fall if you burn yourself out. But since you have a downpayment, its up to you whether you want to back out, and wait untill you save up some more money. Heh sorry for ranting off. Good luck man

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by gwcrim
I'd think you'd be better off doing odd jobs than working for a company. Odd jobs pay ca$h whereas companies have to deduct taxes, etc.

Best advice your going to get is right here. My cousin when we were younger mowed grass, etc and piled in the money while i worked for a business getting part of my pay taking away for taxes, etc. $20 to $30 a pop on mowing a yard will add up quicker than any regular job.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
you guys complain, i worked my ass off to earn the money to get my first bike, i earned about 5grand then i had it stolen in may, the night after my aunt died and she had just had a baby 2weeks earlier.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Find a local marina (if there is one).&nbsp; Wash and detail boats.&nbsp; When I worked at KY Dam Marina, we could make $35-$55 for a half hour boat wash.&nbsp; Wash and wax a houseboat could get you about $500-$600 and take about 12 hours.&nbsp; Line up 3 or 4 boat washes on a Saturday or 1 or 2 wax jobs per week and you could make good money.

It's out of season, but there are alot of people that want their boat clean before winterizing them.

&nbsp;

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Check with your school guidence counsler. They might know of jobs. or you may be able to work afterschool for a few hours playing janitor. Wont get you too much though, at least not 6G. I work afterschool at a program called CROP watching kids do homework and such. $6.25. Not bad. Some kids i know work at the local water plant. Putting caps on the 5 gallon jugs and loading/unloading the trucks and things like that. Aply at all the local businesses and see where that gets you. I cant really mow lawns or shovel snow in my area b/c the ppl who are unemployed for a living (i.e. Wellfare Recipents) all have riding lawn mowers and plows on thier trucks and make extra beer/drug (lol) money doing that.

Top Bottom