duner400ex

Sep 6, 2002
I went to silver lake last year when i bought my 2003 yz250f and they wouldn't even let me in the park because the stock pipe doesn't have a spark arrester. I need a cheap pipe with a spark arrester just really cheap i don't need more power out of it or anything because i don't really care about getting more power i just want to ride in the park this year. Any suggestions?

B

biglou

You're looking at roughly 2.5 times that amount minimum for a slip-on exhaust. 4x for a full exhaust.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
You can put a small piece of aluminum screen material over the exhaust outlet with a hose clamp and it will be as effective as any spark arrestor you can buy. However, if the forest service/dnr people are inspecting for an approval stamp on your exhaust, you'll be outta luck. Also, the stock YZF exhaust is kinda loud. I have never been to silver lake but I hear they have a sound check there (96db?).

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
If you are handy with the tools you can also make a set up using disc's from the White Bros. E-series pipes,They are a exact match for the shape of the YZ pipe,you have to make up a plate that fits into the end of the stock pipe,1/2" aluminum plate with a hole bored(drilled) in the middle to fit over the internal baffle,holes drilled for mounting the disc's and some threaded holes in from the side to keep it in place.I bought a stock YZ pipe with it done and a friend of mine bought a White Bros. pipe and you cannot tell them apart.
But for the price of the disc set up from White Bros I think its close to $80 or $90.00,I think its just as well to go with the BMP set up.
You can buy the disc's by themselves(around $40.00) and make up a flat end cap from a piece of 1/8" alum. flat stock.
But unfortunately I am not sure if the pipe or set up has to have a forestery approval stamp on it in your area.

Last edited:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I put a BMP end cap on my YZF when it was new. The kit comes with eight disks and I run them all most of the time. Even with all the disks installed it is still a bit quieter than stock (still not 96db though). The nice part is that you can always take a couple disks out if you need to quiet it down.

The down side is that there is no approval stamp on the unit. I have been lucky since all of the DNR/Forest Service people I have run into have been pretty reasonable. However, if you meet one who sticks to the letter of the law, you’ll get a ticket.

Back in 2001, BMP was the only affordable option for my bike. If I had to buy another S/A end cap I would choose the option Rich suggested above since it comes with an approval marking and it is roughly the same price as the BMP kit.

Incidentally, I think Dubach and BBR also sell similar kits. Am I correct?

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Mod Edit - For Sale items belong in the For Sale forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Jon K. said:
Mod Edit - For Sale items belong in the For Sale forum.

Can't slip nothin by you guys!

Actually; I thought I was on some firm ground here.

No problem, just tryin' to help the guy.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Jon K. said:
No problem, just tryin' to help the guy.

No problem. Go ahead and send him an e-mail with the same info.

Top Bottom