i Need A Quick Fix For A Leak In My Radiator

will0203

Mar 17, 2009
hi, i have a 99 rm 125 that has a kind of small leak in the left side radiator, and i need a quick fix for to ride it for like for like 30 min.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

brentn

Aug 7, 2009
Your going to have to drain the fluid and use a blow torch to make sure that it is dry of rad applied on the area of the leak.
Mix up some JB weld poxy, and smear it into the crack or pinhole, apply generously :). Wait an hour and it should hold.
Total cost is some fluid, the jb weld and some propane, and it's a quick at home fix. JB weld is a dark grey so your going to see the spot, but this isn't about cosmetics now is it?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Doubtful...

Bar's is good for very very small stuff, wouldn't use it in a bike though.

Do what brentn said above, it works well. I've used the same method with very good results in the past.

will0203

Mar 17, 2009
well i just need it for like a 30 min ride, and i dont have acsess or the know how to do that, but onve that ride is done im sending it to a radiator shop.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Most radiator shops aren't going to be equipped to fix that radiator.

You'll need to send it out to a shop that can weld aluminum.

You are far better off following the instructions he gave you.

If you don't have a torch, take the radiator off the bike, flush it out well with water.. Then put it in your oven in the kitchen for about 15 minutes set on 250..

That will boil out any water that's left inside.

The apply JB weld. You can get JB at any auto parts store or Walmart.

It's not difficult. You mix up equal parts of the epoxy, and apply with a soda straw or something similar.

It's not a job that requires much brain power.

Forget the 30 minute right.. Fix your bike first, or else you are going to have a much more serious repair bill.

(when you buy the JB weld, get the fast curing type.. 4 hours I think is the cure time., otherwise it's 24 hours.)

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
will0203 said:
well i already have the radiator off, but i dont know where the leak is coming from

generally you try to find the leak before you remove the radiator but all is not lost.

dry it thoroughly so that the leaks will be obvious when fluid is added, then plug up all hoses leading off of it and fill it with water and try to locate for the leak, once the leak is found, either memorize the location well, or find some way to mark its location without touching the surface that you want to jb weld, drain it again, cook the moisture out in the oven, and patch her up.

will0203

Mar 17, 2009
well even when it was on the bike i couldnt find it, but i know that its at the bottom, would it be possible to just run jb weld along the bottom, where im assuming it is comming from?

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
will0203 said:
well even when it was on the bike i couldnt find it, but i know that its at the bottom, would it be possible to just run jb weld along the bottom, where im assuming it is comming from?

see my above post, do it once and do it right.

guess work is only going to lead to more time consumed and a waste of perfectly good JB ;)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If you can fill it with water, and plug the hose connections, and pressurize it with an air compressor, you should get water forcing out of the hole.. Which should make it easy to locate the spot you need to repair.

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
IndyMX said:
If you can fill it with water, and plug the hose connections, and pressurize it with an air compressor, you should get water forcing out of the hole.. Which should make it easy to locate the spot you need to repair.

good tip :cool:

will0203

Mar 17, 2009
IndyMX said:

how do you go about pressurizing it?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'd use a blower attachment.. Same one I use to blow off parts with.. Mine has a nice rubber tip.

I'd block the big hose fittings, Maybe use a hose connected to both of them, or something like that.. If there are 3 large fittings, use a T in one hose..

Then blow air in thru the small fitting that connects to the other rad thru a 5/16 hose. Usually it's on the top of the rad...

You won't need much pressure.. if you fill the rad, and put just a bit of pressure in, it'll piss water out of the hole..

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Sure.. Aluminum can handle 250 degrees with no problem.. Just don't leave it in there over night.. 15 minutes should do just fine..

Water boils at 212, Aluminum melts at over 1000 degrees.. You'll be fine.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
stick a raw egg down the radiator. Saw it on myth busters. Works!

although I would never do it to my bike, car, truck, boat or anything unless in dire straits.

will0203

Mar 17, 2009
ok and the only reason it goes in the oven is to get all the liquid out? And then you put the jb weld on after that right?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
will0203 said:
ok and the only reason it goes in the oven is to get all the liquid out? And then you put the jb weld on after that right?

Yes, if there is water in there when you apply the JB weld, the JB will not stick properly.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Matt90GT said:
stick a raw egg down the radiator. Saw it on myth busters. Works!

although I would never do it to my bike, car, truck, boat or anything unless in dire straits.

Yeah, I would never do that to a bike I liked... Can you imagine the mess it would create in the cylinder??

Nope.. no eggs in the radiator.. Bad plan.

Top Bottom