detox34

Dec 17, 2003
Hi guys, I need some suggestions for a bike. I do mostly trail riding, moderate jumping, and sand dunes every once in a while. I've owned a bunch of old 2-strokes but have been outta the loop for a while. I'm interested in a 4-stroke but have never ridden one. Do they work well for this type of riding? I'll take a 2-stroke but I ride often and don't really care for the constant rebuilds. I'm looking to spend $2500-3000 so a brand new bike isn't really an option. Right now it looks like a yz426f is my best bet. Can someone with riding experience on a big 4-stroke please advise.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Jeremy,
There are a lot of awesome new 4strokes out there...but word of warning if you've been out of things for a while...it seems the new breed of 4strokes require rebuilding at least as much as the 2strokes, if not more in some cases. If you want a reliable and long-running between rebuild type of 4stroke, you need to look at bikes like the XR400. It is heavier and does not have as much power, especially at the top end as the new CRF450s, but it has the old bullet proof engine.

If you consider 2strokes, look at the Kawisaki KDX200or220 or the KTM 250or300 EXC. They are tamed for the trail and have plenty of low end grunt. Also, I think it is cheaper and easier to rebuild the 2strokes than the 4strokes when the time comes. Unless you are racing or riding every single day, you should be able to get 2-3 seasons of riding in on a KDX before a rebuild. That's pretty cheap entertainment.

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Dont rule out an other the big 4

250 2 strokes.
Properly modded with a Flywheel weight they make awesome woods bike and when you grow accustomed to the bike you can remove it.
Plus the 250 2 smokes are far superior on a MX track (aka jumping)

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
is your trail ridding lots of high speed (logging road) type? or is it the tight technical trails? i suggest if its the tight technical riding i say get a 4 stroke. because it has way more bottom end grunt then a 2 stroke. just my .02

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Get a KX500. Big bores don't rev high so they don't need constant rebuilding. Weight is about the same as a 450 4 stroke. They've got SERIOUS torque, even down low. And in the dunes? Not that I've ever ridden sand, but from what everyone says, big bores rule!

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
detox34 said:
I'm interested in a 4-stroke but have never ridden one. Do they work well for this type of riding? I'll take a 2-stroke but I ride often and don't really care for the constant rebuilds.

Any motocrosser, two-stroke or four-stroke, is going to need "constant rebuilds."

A CRF450 is NOT an XR400. It WILL NOT last like one. This has to be the single biggest misconception about the four-stroke motocross bike, that it is somehow magically more reliable because it's a four-stroke. A Formula 1 car is also a four-stroke and they don't get 100,000 miles out of those engines between overhauls either.

The beauty of a two-stroke is that those rebuilds are dirt cheap and easy to do. You can put in a new top end on a two-stoke in less time than it takes to pull the cams out of a four-stroke.

Top Bottom