I need help im new.And how to ake a dirtbike street legal? :whoa:

pycrazy07

Oct 13, 2007
:whoa: I want to get a dirt bike when i turn 16 so i can get a motor cycle license and i need it to be street legal so i can actually go places cause dirt bike have good gas milage.

and ineed advice on which type of bike to get and brand?

muddy13

Oct 5, 2007
im not sure on the topic all that much, but i do know u need signal lights on ur dirtbike and of course ur license plate. also im pretty sure ud have to get a dual purpose for that. but i may be wrong , u might be able to just do it with any bike but im not sure.

pycrazy07

Oct 13, 2007
and if i can do that to a normal dirt bike what should i get
and also can u use ofroad tir onroad cause i mite ride with my friend???? :ride:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Ok, there are few bikes that offer duel sport kits. (look into baja designs) but the best for road use would be a 4stroke. probebley an XR(Number)

But you have to check with your state DMV.. And i know for a fact you have to have DOT approved street tires to drive on the road (and thats not knobbies) And you have to have (most of these atleast) turn signals, brake lights, headlight, 4 ways, high beams, the rite kind of tire, battery and some other things...

Have fun =)

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
yea i'm with moparman on the fourstroke if your cruisin the roads all the time in a 2stroke you may be going through top ends and you can't fill up at the gas station without having to premix

rbt76

Aug 11, 2007
also can u use ofroad tir onroad cause i mite ride with my friend????
:bang: :bang:

noo yo ofroad tir will were dun to fazst on the stret. u also dont git no traktion with nobbies on da stet. very slik.

pycrazy07

Oct 13, 2007
he sayin it will wear down to fast if i use on street, and that u dont get as much traction with the offroad tires as u do with onroad tires on the street.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Help us out a bit: what state do you live in?

In California it is very difficult to make a bike street legal that wasn't built for it in the first place. You can add lights and turn signals but California requires the bike to meet the EPA requirements. No two strokes will qualify and most of the MX bikes won't qualify either.

Your best bet would be to buy a bike that is already street legal. There are a number of "dual sport" bikes available and some of them make a respectable dirt bike.

You said: "so i can actually go places cause dirt bike have good gas milage."

I would challenge that statement. Dirt bikes are generally geared for lower speeds, providing a lot of torque for climbing hills and slogging through soft terrain. A typical dirt bike would not be asked to go 80 MPH. At freeway speeds a converted dirt bike would get terrible gas milage. If you want a motorcycle for cruising around get yourself a nice street bike, it will serve you a lot better.

As others have said, the tires that are best for off road are not legal on the road. Even if you risked the ticket knobbies just are not good on the street and the asphalt will tear them up in short order. A good road tire sucks when it comes to hill climbs and sand washes.

If you are going to ride the bike off road and be aggressive about it then there is a high probability that you will end up laying the bike down. Mirrors and turn signals generally suffer from this.

I suspect that you can only afford one vehicle and you are trying to have your cake and eat it too. The bottom line is that you will probably end up with something that is not appropriate for anything. Taking your street bike off road is going to tear it up, and when you break your main form of transportation you will find yourself walking or taking the bus. You will be better off to have a toy you can afford to break and have transportation you can rely on.

Rod McInnis

pycrazy07

Oct 13, 2007
i live in pennsylvania and ya i think now that im just gonna get a dirt bike for offroadin with my friend now cause u just explained alot and what should i get for offroadin

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
I rode my KE100 around everywhere, fields, hills, and snow, and all that good stuff. It has a Street tires on it, and it was capable for driving on the roads. BUT it took a special talent to be able to ride it well off road, and that took me lie a year to get good at, and by then the bike was trashed... because with 6 inches of suspension travel, and street tires it wasn't capable of handling what i was doing to it. Now i see alot of people driving dirt bikes on the road around here. (western PA) Now Yamaha makes some duel sport bikes that you could use for both but... its not great in either places.. its just good.. it does both.. If you want to be serious about off road, then no i wouldn't get it.. but for just cruising around on back roads and stuff a some off road a duel sport bike may be a good idea.. more if you actually want to ride at the track, and through mud and hill get a normal dirt bike..

BUT for us to help you accurately find the rite kind of bike for you you should fill this out:

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=108916

~Tyler

Top Bottom