wasted

Mar 14, 2004
I have a '97 RM250 I bought last summer, the forks on it worked alright but were extremely stiff and had alot of stiction, I dug into them and found them pretty neglected... the oil was burnt, it actually smelled like a bad burnt automatic transmission, and everything was pretty gummed up...
so I completely tore them down, cleaned everything and put them back together...they worked alot better, and were alot smoother, but I had no rebound damping(I also have a leaky fork seal now)... theres compression damping but I cant get any rebound, or even any change in feel in the rebound of the forks no matter what weight oil I run or what setting its on...

I tore one back apart and got looking at the design and wondered if maybe the seals on the inner damping tubes are bad, would that cause this problem? nothing else appears damaged or worn, although you can tell someones had them torn apart before, so who knows what they may have done to them...

its been a few months since I last messed with them and I have the time now to fix them, but I've never worked on a set of forks of this design before so I dont really know for sure what could be causing it, or what I need to do to fix it...

any help at all would be great...

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
it could be the inner rod seal is shot, or have you made sure the clicker is actually turning anything at the other end? it should turn for a while then stop, i would take the fork apart and look how the damper rod returns when set full slow and full fast on rebound.

wasted

Mar 14, 2004
my adjusters are working good, compression and rebound, they click from one end to the other and work like they should, I went through all that and made sure everything was functioning properly when I tore them apart...
I cant say for sure that all the valve shims are right or where they are supposed to be, I didnt change anything myself but I cant say for sure if anyone else has... like I said, someone has had them apart before...

the only thing I can think of too is that those inner seals are shot...

its been a few months since I've had them apart(they arent now) but if I remember right it looked like those seals were pretty hard to get at, are they even replacable?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
They are replaceable, but you need to check if the shims are sitting properly on the rebound piston-if they are then work onto the next thing of changing the seals.

wasted

Mar 14, 2004
I checked the valve and shim stack the second or third time I had them apart and everything seemed to be together right, I have no idea if the shims and spacers are in the right order though and I dont have any idea of what order they came in stock either, so I'm kind of stuck there too unless someone could be nice enough to give me that info...

any idea of where I could find those inner seals online? I checked bikebandit and I couldnt find them on there...

I can more than do the work myself and I'd kind of like to solve the problem here and online than resort to going through a dealership...

again, thanks for your help...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom