i need lots of help with this one

Eleven

Jul 10, 2000
i have a 97 Rm125. i have posted a thread on this site before needing a little help on this problem before but no one could really help me out....my problem is im leaking transmission oil from one of my drain hoses on the bottom left of the engine (im positive its transmission oil)...i dont know if this is normal or not, i noticed it one day riding and asked about it, no one had an answer..then it stopped so i figured everything was fine, but the thing is i noticed it started again the other day, now it leaks all the time all over my boot and a little on the bike, im worried about losing it all and messing something up....the thing that confuses me is that the hose crosses over in front of the cylinder and leads to right above the powervalve. any help with this would be greatly appreciated

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Sounds like time you cleaned your pv out. Transmission oil breather won’t be up there. You should really check the powervalves from time to time as they are not immune to failure.

Eleven

Jul 10, 2000
u see, i just recently had my top end re-done..when we did it the pv was fine...and i KNOW this is transmission fluid...the hose it drips out of leads right to above the pv.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I'm a bit confussed?

what color is the fluid? I'm not that familar with that year rm, but trans line aren't normaly above power valves? are they really trans lines? the only things that I can think of is the radiator over flow tube at least my kaw kdx is that way©

Last edited:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
:think it IS the PV breather hose, which oozes out condensated excess oil. Don't confuse youself thinking otherwise.

On a side note, even if you think the PV is clean, next time DO clean it. I know it's more trouble, but mine masked its self - unbeknownst to me - as an off idle & return-to-idle jetting problem, when in fact the valve was gummed up from time, moreover the cheap oil the prev. owner used.

You'd be surprised how cleaner they run near idle when clean.

Eleven

Jul 10, 2000
this is how i know its trany oil

i use bel ray gear savor.....its origanally red...after plate wear from the clutch it get a greyish color.....so that in turn makes my oil a pinkish color with a grey tint (from when i change my oil)......it the exact same thing that is leaking from that hose....and thats exactly whats confusing me....why does that hose lead to above the powervalve???

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
If you really have tranny fluid coming out of the vent tube at the top of the power-valve chamber, then you have a leaking tranny side crank seal. That is the only possible way oil from your tranny can get into that area.

Eleven

Jul 10, 2000
all of u guys talk about the pv breather hose. i do have one and it does leak the residue from the pre-mix, but this isnt the same tube thats leaking.....the pv vent hose is about a half inch big while the one leaking tranny fluid is about 1/8 of an inch (theres 3 total, the other is 1/8 of an inch also, but i dont know what its for)......does anyone have a 97 rm that can see what im talking about??

berno11

Oct 9, 1999
i have a 97 rm 250 & 125
the powerervalve has two breathers, one on the side of the cylinder and one on the top. The one on the top (smaller hose) is above where the powervalve actuator is from the bottom end. A little oil seepage from these is normal. However if its flowing out the breathers you may have a worn out crankseal or too much tranny oil.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
berno may be on to something.
Do you measure your tranny oil, or just throw in the whole quart?

Eleven

Jul 10, 2000
when i first got my bike i asked in a thread if anyone knew how much oil i needed to put in...i got the response of .75 of a quart to a whole quart for my particular bike. so ive been putting a quart or less in.....last cycle on that quart i added some in the middle though cuz i was scared of losing to much oil.

berno11

Oct 9, 1999
you should be using 750 cc's (.79 qts) for an oil change. I usually just measure. There is a check screw for the oil level if you want to be 100% sure. I dont think even a whole quart is going to cause oil to flow out of the breathers. You must either have a worn out r/h crankseal or some other problem letting pressure in the transmission causing oil to flow out of the breathers. Is it really loosing oil that bad?

Eleven

Jul 10, 2000
it used to not be all that bad, it started out only dripping sometimes....but recently its been covering my boot in a dirt/oil mixture.....my main questions has been why is it leaking from above the power valve and if i was gonna lose so much oil id screw my engine. i didnt know what the leak over the pv meant, but looking at all the replies it seems to be a crank seal

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
so ive been putting a quart or less in.....last cycle on that quart i added some in the middle though cuz i was scared of losing to much oil.
BINGO!

Eleven

Jul 10, 2000
i dont think thats it either though, because its done this through 2 oil changes already.....before i had no more than a quart in there

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
take the hint you could be putting to much oil in
try using .79 of a court this may be the cheap fix
this crank seal could get expensive as in lower end rebuild

p.s. make sure your crank vent hose is not pluged

DavTys

Jun 29, 2001
I had the same problem with my KX125! I had changed to Transmission oil for the gear box and clutch. It started leaking the very next day after I changed it. I rode a couple of days on it and it still leaked. So I drained the tranny oil out and went back to the regular gear and clutch oil and it quit immediately!! Try it, it will only cost you the price of a quart of oil!!

David

Top Bottom