I need Metric Tools.......Help me out.

cr250pro

Jun 15, 2005
Well, I went to start working on my new yz125 yesterday and found out that none of my sockets worked because they're all standard. I guess I should have realized that they would be metric after all. But I'm a newbie to the sport so thats why I need your help to tell me what tools I need to buy.

It doesn't sound confusing but it is. I already have a 3/8" drive ratchet, so I could save money by just buying the sockets. All of the smaller metric sizes are 1/4" drive however????? How big of a metic socket will I need?

I have already bought a racheting spark plug wrench and a beam-type ft-lbs torque wrench. Thanks alot.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
How big is your axle nut? Most of the bolts tend to be 8-12mm on the Jap bikes that I've seen. you'll probably find a couple 14mm bolts as well. Since you have a 3/8 inch ratchet, get a 3/8 1/4 reducer, a set of 1/4 drive sockets, a set of 3/8 drive sockets, and a hex set (if you have any such bolts). Make sure you have a socket large enough to remove the rear axle as well (you can get a box end wrench for that and probably have better leverage). Also, get a set of wrenches, I prefer combination wrenches, but open ended will provide more sizes for less space and money. Spend the extra money and buy quality tools, Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt all have lifetime guarantees and are readily available, this will save money in the long run since you will never have to buy the tool again. Craftsman doesn't even care how you break it. I once traded in a ratchet that had been run over by a tractor trailer, it wasn't even all there. I have also broken sockets by jumping up and down on a breaker bar trying to loosen a nut. I don't even bother buying impact sockets, I just put a 3/8 adapter on my 1/2 impact wrench and throw on a standard socket, if I break it, whatever, Sears is 2 miles away.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
You dont really need a complete set of metric wrenches. If you have a 10, 12,14, 17 and 19 your covered on mostly everything. Its far cheaper than buying an entire set.

The same goes for sockets.

The axles are large enough that you can use an adjustable wrench on them. A big socket for these is not a bad investment. Most every bike I have worked on takes a 27mm.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
6mm- 17mm sockets and wrenches
ratchet adapters and extensions
13/16" is my spark plug wrench
XL crescent for the axle nut
1 metric combo allen wrenches
assorted pliers, ratchets, and screwdrivers including 1 that will adapt to a socket

thats most of whats in my little track toolbox, and im usually the guy everyone needs to borrow tools from. last year a guy even did his sons top end out of my box at the campground.

1994WR250Chad

Mar 19, 2006
Buy from craftsman... life time warrenty... it they break or get damaged... just take the tool to craftsman dealer (usually Sears) for a new replacement... Free... no reciept needed... G/L!

Top Bottom