I need your help and opinions!

mattmcphail

Nov 18, 2004
I need your help! You all are my only resource for good dirt bike info at this time. I'm getting a first bike and going it alone at the time so I appoligize if I've posted several "simple" questions. I posted a question about the KX forks on the KDX and that's looking good. The bike needs a new front sproket, no big deal 15 bucks or so. But it's on its original top end. I know this is a regular maintenance thing on two strokes. I'm decently mechanically inclined but have no exposure to dirt bikes. It's a 2000. Is it a concern that it's still the original top end? If not how much longer can I go on it? and, When it's time to re do it, I want to do it, how much time and money go into redoing the top end?
PS> I like this 2000 KDX 200 a lot, just want to be sure I'm making a good decision. It has almost new 773 tires, new FMF pipe and silencer, and the KX forks, for $1700. This is versus a '97 220 I looked at that is stock beyond an FMF pipefor $1500.
Thank you all so much for your help!
Matt

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Got a manual?
No way to tell about the top-end with doing a compression check. How old it is have very little to do with what shape it's in, rather hours of actual use.

Top ends on two strokes are a piece of cake. Can't tell ya the cost. Call a dealer for pricing. Just make sure you have a shop manual and a good tourque wrench.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Properly maintained and using synthetic two stroke oil a KDX will run forever for most people. Even heavy handed racers get 2 years. 4000 off road miles not unheard of. I am on my fourth KDX 200 and I have never had a top end off or opened up. I wish I got to ride more! What were the riding habits of the previous owner(s)? I would be more concerned about the swing arm and the linkage arms and bearings than the top end. Now you have another $0.02 opinion. Get one and ride! If you are just going to chug get the stock 220--to compete get the 200. Cheers John

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
If the bike (200) is in the shape you say it is in, I'd say it is a reasonably good deal. On course you'll find a better deal After you purchase it....I'm sorta in the same boat as you are in the fact that I picked up a used 01 KDX 200 a few weeks ago. The bike was entirely stock. Which mean I'll need to replace tires, sprockets, chain and a few more misc. parts. To me this is par for the course. Over the winter I will pull the jug off the bike to take a look inside. At the very least I'll get new rings and gaskets. I'd rather do this over the winter than prime spring/summer riding time.PLEASE buy a factory service manual. A KDX makes a great "first" bike. They are easy to ride and easy to hop up as your skills increase. Sure, they'll never be a KTM 200 EXC...but then again they never were meant to be..Search this site for all the info you'll ever need and welcome to the club.....

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…