Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I spent the weekend with my 2008 250 XCW. The only changes to the bike are different tires and different handlebars with hand guards. Lansing cycle prepped the bike and placed a 250 SX needle in #2 before they sent it out the door. I am also testing a shim stack for them, but I don't know what changes they did specifically except the softened the mid valve. My bike has the Rekluse pro clutch in it.

The motor:
I have the red spring in it with an EE E3 S/A -the motor with this needle Has slightly less pull right off the bottom than the JD Blue#3 but seems to have more mid on up, this thing revs to the moon. (Or so I thought, more on that in a minute) I really like to motor and it got better after it loostened up say after 4-5 hours on it. Bike has 7.7 hours on it now. I am leaving this needel in it for now but will have to buy another JS kit to try. Sold the 07 with the blue on in it. The motor is still smooth as slik and just pulls for ever -it's nice.

The chassis:
Well first of all this thing is freaking light feeling even though it's 2 lbs less than the 2007, the way the rider sits on top of bike makes it feel like a 200-seriously. The suspension is a bit firm, yet controlled and this thing tracks! It also truns even better than the 2007 with the new frame. The front tires was so planted I never thought the 2007 was bad but this thing turns! The suspension feels firm yet controlled and things like michigan sand whoops are no problem-I did end up taking 2 clicks of compression off the forks and 1 off the shock plus 1/4 turn off the HS compression on the shock. The static sag is set at 32MM I was told -I never checked it but that is what I was told.

The button:
Hey, that thing is awesome- I love it and in fact I was supposed to race my 2007 next weekend but cannot bring myself to ride it again because the button and the way this new bike handles and how light it is. I think i will do just fine with it the way it is set up now.

I asked AL Randt to ride my bike to evaluate my clickers because he has the same exact bike and springs. (.42 front-7.2 rear) so we switched bikes and then I realized how the SX head works -his bike had more mid on up -it rips! He also had the E3 pipe and silencer on his. Bottom end wise they were the same but his would just spin up faster and stronger and would pull harder in deep sand. If you want more beans-then get the SX head for yours and you won't be disappointed.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Thanks for the well written eval Fredster!! Sounds like you are on top of that puppy - now stay there and have a GREAT season on the new scoot!! Are you having the frame altered on this one??
It just never seizes to amaze me how awesome these modern day scoots are!!
Woodsy :ride:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
woodsy said:
Thanks for the well written eval Fredster!! Sounds like you are on top of that puppy - now stay there and have a GREAT season on the new scoot!! Are you having the frame altered on this one??
It just never seizes to amaze me how awesome these modern day scoots are!!
Woodsy :ride:

NO frame hacking needed on this one (that I know of) Al says his seats are just a tad shorter, I have one on order and after I ride it this weekend at the enduro i should know for sure. It just feels so good now I don't want to change any thing. :nod:

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
You looked good on that bike Saturday Fred, well at least for the 50 yds. I could see you before you disappeared in the trees! Heck of a nice bike! You could probably sell rides on it like they do helicopters at the air shows. Definately a big congrats to ya on that new scoot, she's a beauty....

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
"NO frame hacking needed on this one"
Hey it wasn't a professional HACK JOB the first time it was hacked but I know the repair wasn't a HACK JOB. Just kidding. It is a great looking bike for a KTM. Good seeing everyone.
Don

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Freddie was a happy dude. He was riding his new scoot and had cash in his pocket once the new owner of the '07 got permission from his wife to sign the check. Yes Chuckie, I am talking about YOU.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
fatherandson said:
Freddie was a happy dude. He was riding his new scoot and had cash in his pocket once the new owner of the '07 got permission from his wife to sign the check. Yes Chuckie, I am talking about YOU.

AKA "Sandbagger No 1" will be riding the 2007 next weekend if he gets enough beer to drain into his sore foot and numb it.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Don Marsh said:
"NO frame hacking needed on this one"
Hey it wasn't a professional HACK JOB the first time it was hacked but I know the repair wasn't a HACK JOB. Just kidding. It is a great looking bike for a KTM. Good seeing everyone.
Don

"Hack" was a figure of speech Don, you guys do fine work and that brake pedal is nice too! THANKS!
Fred

Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
Fred,

Congrats on the new bike! :cool: Will you be riding it at the Stump Jumper enduro?

Are there any issues with the gas cap on the 08's? I know the re-designed it. Thoughts?

-Kurt

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I found out this weekend that Chuckie aka Sandbagger C rider is a lurker on MTR. Actually, I think his 6 year old daughter has to turn on the computer for him. We may not see any posts, but he is out there.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Good writeup Fred. I am not surprised with your findings, KTM has done good for 08. We did Tomahawk B on Sat.. The new 200 performed like a champ. Its fast, its light and turns great. No buyers remorse here.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Creeper9 said:
Fred,

Congrats on the new bike! :cool: Will you be riding it at the Stump Jumper enduro?

Are there any issues with the gas cap on the 08's? I know the re-designed it. Thoughts?

-Kurt

- no leaks either all weeknd.
The new cap works just fine, it has a push button on it to lock it in

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Yeah,
You Guys Think My Typing Is Bad With Caps And All, I Don't Think The "c" Bagger Knows What A Keyboard Is. I'm Suprised He Even Wanted Freedy's 250 After The Trip We Took To Deliver Steve's Trailer To His Lot In Mancelona. He Had A 2008 450 Xcw-f Eapsrq Or Whatever They Call Them, Anyhow He Let Chuckie And I Take A Few Laps On It, Man What A Sweet Bike!!!! But $8000.00 For A New Bike Is Awful Steep, It Is Awful Tempting Though.

Top Bottom