I saw smoke on my new 2004 kx250f

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
I just bought it two weeks ago. I've ridden it for about 4 hrs. Anyhow, today, after I started her up, I noticed some smoke on the right side of the bike, where that chrome steel thing protrudes out and covers some pipe. I noticed that the pipe was burning in two spots. The spots have like a rainbow color to them. Anyhow, some smoke was coming off from there as it was burning so I turned my bike off. However, is this a natural part of breaking in the bike. Is that pipe supposed to be burning like that?

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
Here's a pic. The chrome thing is what is circled in red. The two burning spots on the pipe, which is behind that chrome thing are labeled in green. It's the exhaust pipe right after it exits the exhaust valve. This bike is fairly new, so I'm guessing it's part of the natural breaking in of the bike, but I just wanna be sure.

www.trist007.com/images/bike.jpg

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
What's fairly new? The first few times from new that you start the bike the pipe is likely to smoke, or if you got something on the pipe it will burn off.

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
Even though the bike is a 2004, it has about a total of 6 riding hrs. The two burned spots on the exhaust pipe behind that chrome cover are rainbow colored. You think it's ok for the pipe to be burning 6 hrs into the life of it? I don't think the pipes had anything on it that would make it smoke.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
modern four stroke exhausts get verrrrry hot and sometimes will even glow read near the head. Any drop of oil that gets on the pipe is going to burn off. Unless you think you are jetted too lean, I wouldn't worry about it.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
You probably have some oil or grease on the pipe. I spilled some oil on my WR pipe once and it did the same thing. The pipes on the "f" bikes get very hot, hot enough that they can glow red in the dark. Keep your eye on it, but I'm sure it's just something spilled that is burning off.

Roost

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Wow you sure don't want to see what the WD40 looks like coming off my bare metal pipe :) Kills mesquitos for several hundred yards :)

May 10, 2007
Patman said:
Wow you sure don't want to see what the WD40 looks like coming off my bare metal pipe :) Kills mesquitos for several hundred yards :)

probably small rodents too.

-----

its probably just something that got on the pipe burning off.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
And just so you know the chrome thing that covers the pipe is called a heat shield- ride without it and you will see smoke and probably smell burned skin.
The pipe thing is the header and back of the place where it has a junction is the muffler the entire system is the exhaust.

I am surprised it took 6 hours to go blue, most of the time our 4 strokes are blue with in the first hour

Top Bottom