I think I am way down on power

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
racerj:
Is your kips operationg correctly now? Have you checked it?

Before I'd tear the thing apart, I'd check some basics.

There are a whole lot of varying issues when it comes to, 'My bike does...' and 'My bike don't...' Even so, yours sounds ill.

If it still had the 160 in it, it wasn't likely jetted at all. Maybe the guy you bought it from rode in the sand at sea level? A 160 might actually be a bit lean in that case.

But..what about the pilot? Still a 48? Your throttle response is likely going to stink with that.

Still...start with the basics. What's your KIPS doing?

The 'bore and oversize piston' comment is a major concern...:think:

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I know that the cylinder has a plating on the inside and it must be there on the kawasaki's. I was just thinking about it if the cylinder wall was damaged then I would have to have it bored over a little right? I haven't had time to check the KIPS today because I was at work but I may dip out a little early tomorrow and come home and mess with the bike.

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Sorry to post again, but the edit button didn't work for me.

I would like to put a fresh topend in the bike anyway, just because I bought it used and dont really know how long it has been in there. I asked the guy when I bought the bike and he said it had about 100 hours on the top end. I dont know if he really knew or what. Also, I want to clean the KIPS even if it is working because I know it is probably caked with carbon. My bike ran so rich when I bought it I cant believe I never fouled a plug.

Joey

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
Try a fresh top end, clean KIPS, and jetting. My modified KDX screams the whole way through the gearbox. I can pull the wheel up in 1st and ride it through 5th. In 4th it should come up as it hits the pipe, 5th should loft a little and even (to a degree) 6th, with a little clutch work. When it was new, in stock form, the bike would stand straight up in 1st gear after a WOT crack from idle, w/o any clutch. A 3rd gear wheelie could be held at distance with novice level throttle control. After a fresh top end and stock jetting, check the air filter, gearing, tires, and clutch condition. Something dosent seem to add up, a KDX should be easier to wheelie than a 250MXer given it's smooth linear power delivery and it's short swingarm. See if you can ride another KDX to develop a perspective for your expectations.
-Nick

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Braap, I'm a bit suprised about your lack of wheelie action. I just rejetted my 200 (155, 42, 1173K) w/ FMF woods & 12t sprocket. I test run in a pature which slopes upward SLIGHTLY. My bike will yank the front end with me up near the tank (213lbs.) in second. I could easily flip in third (no clutch popping), pull it high up in 4th (using some body weight) and float it 6" in 5th. Granted I'm doing all this on the pipe, and trying to to nothing more than wheelie.......

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I think you guys are nuts. I'd have to pull awful hard to get a wheelie up after 2nd gear. I've got the 13/50 gearing and all the mods and my 2001 runs better than most. By the time I'm in 4-5 I'm going 45 mph+. Now how the heck could it possibly loft?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I may be nuts(that's another story), but I can surely wheely in 3rd!

And I'm no where near perfect jetting as you state you are

Maybe your bike does not quite run better than most after all! ;)

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Braahp---I don't think your bike is running as well as you think. My 1990 200 will easily flip if I nail WOT in 4th gear on a suface that gets traction like grass or blacktop---and that's w/my 190 lbs. sitting as for forawrd as possible and using 13/47 gearing.

Top Bottom