I think I am way down on power

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
My first question is this, I weigh 215lbs and I am 6' tall but would a stock KDX with me on it pick the front wheel up in at least 1st-3rd gear? I have a 1996 and I can be in first and get on it as hard as I can and it lifts a little, but to really pick it up I have to pull back pretty hard. In 2nd gear you can forget getting the front wheel off the ground unless its a hillclimb. I wouldn't even try it in 3rd. The thing is, my bike has an FMF Woods pipe and a Turbine Core spark arrestor, and a Boyesen RAD valve. I would think that those mods would wake it up quite a bit over the stock bike. What should I do? Also, what does a KDX 200 sound like? Mine has never sounded quite right. I dont think it has ever "gotten on the pipe" and just screamed. It sounds more like a sick leaf blower. I am thinking about taking it down and repainting the frame and rebuilding the bike back to stock specs and see how it does and then mod it from there because I don't think mine runs as good as stock even.

That is the least of my worries as of now though, I need to take the cylinder off, clean and KIPS, and find whatever it is floating around in my case.

Joey

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
first thing i would do is rebuild it as you mentioned then i would rejet it. i dont know kdx jetting specs but it sounds like your pretty off base with your carb settings.

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
It had a 160 main in it which I hear is stock jetting on a 200. The guy I bought it from said that it was rejetted for the mods. I just got a 150 main and it helped it out but now its too lean and its still not really fast. It still doesn't really want to pull the wheel up after 1st gear. Let me rephrase that, it wont pull it up after 1st gear. If I put a compression tester on it what should I bee looking for, about 110-120psi?

Thanks,
Joey

farcry2

Jun 23, 2003
While doing the compression test and top end inspection, try servicing your power valve, it may not be opening.

My modified KDX does 5th gear wheelies with ease. My big boned nephew (240#) does 4th gear wheelies on his bone stock 03 kdx 200 all day long.

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Ok, here is the list I have come up with so far:

1. Tear the top end down and replace the piston, rings, wristpin, wristpin bearing, and circlips.

2. Check the case for anything that shouldn't be there because the other day it jumped out of gear and made an awful noise for about 30 seconds.

3. Rebuild and clean the parts of the KIPS.

4. Clean and rejet the carb.

5. Pray that it feels more like a 200cc two stroke than an xr100.

Did I leave anything out?

Joey

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Jumped out of gear? No power to the rear wheel? Is the motor seem like it's reving past the power output?
Along with everything else you might want to check your clutch. and clutch springs. Have you been using automotive oil in the gear case?

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
The clutch is fine. Its not revving up that much. It just doesn't have any power.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001

My modified KDX does 5th gear wheelies with ease. My big boned nephew (240#) does 4th gear wheelies on his bone stock 03 kdx 200 all day long. [/B]

My KDX screams......jetted perfect.  2nd gear maybe a little wheelie and the rest of the gears you can forget getting the wheel up.   Come on guys its a KDX 200 not a 250 mx machine.   How can it possibly lift the wheel after 2nd gear? 

farcry2

Jun 23, 2003
Originally posted by Braahp

My KDX screams......jetted perfect.  2nd gear maybe a little wheelie and the rest of the gears you can forget getting the wheel up.   Come on guys its a KDX 200 not a 250 mx machine.   How can it possibly lift the wheel after 2nd gear? 

farcry2

Jun 23, 2003
Whoops on the quote:
Braahp,
What year is your bike and how long have you been riding? No kidding, if you "bang" each gear, a stock KDX should lift the front end in every gear up to the shift from 3rd to 4th. I went out a few weeks ago on my modified KDX and after dropping the front end on a fourth gear wheelie, I banged 5th and it lifted again just as the power valve opened. The front end came up so fast it scared me. I admit the KDX requires an aggressive shifting foot, clutch hand, and throttle hand, all timed perfectly for high gear front end lofts. I just came off of a 99 kx250 last year which was really violent. It pulled the front end in fourth gear without aggressive shifting, just roll on the throttle and it was off the ground. Not a good woods bike. Ask some others how many gears their KDX's can loft the front end in, I think you'll be suprised.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Yeah, mine will wheelie over in 1st, 2nd, &3rd (traction permitting) & pull a low but long power wheelie in 4th. But I only weight 160#.
Better check that ride, braahp. ;)

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I ride out at the Hoover Met but I think they just shut it down. I havent had much time in the past few weeks to ride. I was out there today and there were empty trucks parked, but the other spot they park was empty and had no trespassing signs. Im not sure if you just cant go down this one trail or all of them. It kind of sucks because there aren't too many places to go around here. They are tearing it all down.

Joey

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
What's your gearing?

I dropped my front sprocket from a 13 to a 12, It helped a lot.

I may not get a full fender dragging wheelie, but, depending on available traction, I can loft the front end pretty easily to clear puddles and other obstacles in 2nd, 3rd and maybe 4th if I keep the revs up.

Are you certain you have traction? Sometimes I think my bike doesn't have power but I'm just getting too loose.

Even before doing my topend my KDX screamed, it can be down right scary doing WOT Chops! (Usually run out of road!)

And I weigh 265+! (yeah I gained a couple pounds this holiday season!) :whiner:

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
When my 220 was bone stock I could pull a wheelie in first and second with just the throttle. Third took some deliberate clutch work and had to scoot back on the seat. Fourth gear??? no way.
I've found that riding position has a lot to do with whether or not I could loft the front wheel. Scoot back six inches or so and it is much easier to wheelie.

Major mods are currently in the works so we shall see what happens.

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I know I was getting traction because I have ridden it down the road too. This isn't a new thing for my bike, it has always been the same as the day I got it. It was my first bike and I thought it was fast when I test rode it but now its just boring to ride and I have realized that it is not putting out the power it should.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
'If I put a compression tester on it what should I bee looking for, about 110-120psi?'

it should be between 120 - 185psi. if you pull the rubber boot that covers the kips shaft lever back you should see it move as you rev the bike.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I have a stock kdx220, that I bought off the showroom floor, I really have never been able to do a throttle wheelie, in any gear.... I threw on a pc pipe and s/a. and am able to slightly lift the wheel, I hope to find more power after some jetting work, and double check the kips is actually working...

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I will check to see if the KIPS rod moves. Hopefully it will, but when I do the top end I am going to clean all of the KIPS components. I need to go ahead and tear the motor down now and check it out before I order the parts for it right? That way I will know if I need to have it bored out and order a larger piston. I may start tearing it down tomorrow afternoon.

Thankyou for all the helpful responses,
Joey

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
mine will flip over backwards in 1-3. if you are going to tear the top end down go ahead and put rings in it get a gasket set, rings, new circlips. btw what was your compression?

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
FYI, you should never just "bore " the cylinder out. These bikes have a nikasil plating on the cylinders, boring it out would require a replating. Don't let some hillbilly machine shop tell you otherwise.

Top Bottom