YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
I've been having plug issues with my 03 yz 250. Last night I took the carb out and raised the clip to the second notch on the needle. I made sure the air filter was clean with fresh filter oil. I took the bike out in the woods this evening and just took my time riding to see if it would foul again. So far so good. :nod:

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I'm surprised that a simple clip change would make that big of a difference. When I had 2S (and I've had plenty!), it seemed that 2-3 main jet sizes and 2-3 needle positions would all would work reasonably well. Sure, one specific combination worked slightly better than the next, but only slightly. I had to be really off on jetting to foul plugs.

Sometimes it sure seemed to me that fresh filter oil caused some of my fouling issues. I noticed on my KX125 that I only fouled plugs when starting the bike for the first time with fresh Maxima oil on the filter. When I switched to NoToil, I never fouled again. On my YZ450F, I used Maxima once on the original filter while waiting for some new Twin Airs to show up. Guess what? Fouled a plug! On a 450F?! Switched to NoToil, have 30 h. on the bike, never fouled again. Maybe I was using too much of the ultra-sticky Maxima...dunno.

But, I'm happy for you. :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom