I Think I'm Gonna Trade The Twinkie For a Pumpkin!

B

biglou

I traded rides with a guy last night for a while. My DRZ400 for his 250EXC. I don't have a lot of time in this sport but I was FLOORED by the amount of low-end grunt out of that thing. I'm talking four-stroke linear power curve here. And with just a twist the back end would step out at will. Anyhoo, short version is, I rode one, now I want one. I'm going to look at the 2001 MXC's and talk trade. I've been told that the 200's have that same low end, comparable power, and are "125 light". Regardless of which way I go, we're still talking 40-50 lbs lighter than my DRZ. Anyone have any advice on the 250MXC vs. the 200MXC? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Good Thinking! I like the 200's nibbleness, and lower weight. The bike is a lot of fun. The 250 ofcourse has more power, but you give up some handling! If you really want grunt ---> 300 :eek:

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
I've just done the DRZ to 200 jump. The weight thing was the main reason. It is a lot more nimble. Front end hoists at will any time. Torque is as good as the DRZ. Acceleration is like nothing a four stroke can give you. No major riding adjustments except the braking on downhills thing.
Wait and see what KTM do for 2002 if you want the 250. People are suggesting a major change to the engine.
I haven't ridden the 250 but other people have compared the 200 to Jap 250's. Try the 200 before you buy.

B

biglou

It's official!

I'm going with the 250MXC. I can honestly say that I've never acted so fast in my life! One ride and I was hooked. Unbelievable. The local dealer has to track one down for me because they didn't have one on hand but they say that they are available. Should take a week, tops. They had everything else, it seemed. Every size and every model except the 250MXC. Now comes the arduous task of putting the beloved DRZ back to stock. It may be evident by my member page that I have added every do-dad (almost) that I could get my hands on. I've got 2000 and 2001 plastic, plus an IMS tank, Yosh pipe, Renthals and Pro-Tapers, E-line carbon fiber skidplate, the list goes on. (And on and on) Oh well. There's my weekend project. I'm just hoping that I can get the new one by Friday because we have a big ride planned in central Missouri next Saturday. But I'll be there regardless. Even if it's just to flip the burgers and bum rides!

I decided to go with the 250 to get a little more grunt. That's the one I rode and fell in love with so I'm sticking to it. Worse case scenario is if they can't get one. In that case I'll go with the 200. Compared to the DRZ it's a difference of about 75 lbs lighter or 90 lbs lighter. Either way it's gonna be a sweet deal.

The ride I bummed last night showed me several things. That the brakes and suspension are far superior to the DRZ, and that a two-stroke actually can have a relatively linear powerband. Plus the fact that the KTM's come right out of the box with far more goodies than anyone else's stock offering. But hey, I'm probably preaching to the choir here, right?!

As far as waiting for the 2002 models, I don't think I can do it! I'm not that patient. Besides, the bug has bit! It's all over but the financing!;)

If anyone has any insight that they might want to share, considering that this is my first two-stroke, I would appreciate it. I would say that I ride about 50-75% track, the rest woods. I think the 200 would be a little "busyer", especially hauling my 200+ lbs around, and especially on the track. That was another big reason for going with the 250. It sure seems like "Orange Fever" is becoming a plague, doesn't it? :)

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
I heard loads about the 200 before I rode it. I was as sceptical as the next man when they said its as good as a 250. 'BUT ITS ONLY 200 CC' kept ringing through my head.
This was right up until I rode it. It is awesome. I weigh about the same as you and it doesn't faze the bike !!!
I think its the combination of the 125 frame and lower weight. I don't know what the power to weight ratio's are but I bet they're similar.

B

biglou

Same here.

I am/was a little suspicious but everyone here says that the 200 is just unreal. But the 250 weighs only 15lbs more, and coming off of a 300 lb. hog that is still ahuge jump. I got the DRZ completely back to stock and it just feels 30lbs heavier than the way I had it set up. The KTM200 I can pick up off the ground by the subframe and the crossbar! I can hardly push the DRZ upright from the kickstand!!;)

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Congradulations Big Lou.

I am the one that let him ride my 00 KTM250exc last Friday night and got him hooked. Welcome to the Pumpkin Patch Lou.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Another one! Congrats. There are numerous things we could go over but one of the most important things I can recommend is to tighten, ride, retighten, ride, and then re-tighten everything. Nothing like coming back froma ride and noticing that the kickstand, two shroud bolts, rear fender bolt, and seat bolts gone. Let the games begin. Oh and because of your stature, girth, I would think seriously about suspension work (front/rear) before venturing too much on the tracks with the MXC.

B

biglou

Thanks for the input.

I will probably be doing the blue loc-tite routine as soon as I get it. Also, I hear ya on the springs. I'm going to get a few rides in first, though. Even my re-sprung (for my weight) DRZ was softer, but somehow harsher-feeling, than the KTM. And you gotta remember, all things are relative! I don't think Jeremy or RC, or the seven year old down the street for that matter, has anything to worry about from me.;)

Chris-NJ

May 26, 2000
the last few posts indicated that you rode a '00 250. the 01 250 has more power. i bought the '01 250 on advice from my dealer, it was the first one he got in sept. 00. i now wish i had the 200. i ride all tight N.E. woods and the 250 is too fast/powerful for 1st-2nd gear stuff all the time. it wasn't my dealers fault, he was just going on history, he now agrees with me that the 250 is a brute. i've tamed it a bit with jetting and powervalve adj. (and a few dents in the pipe) Just wanted to tell you. in my 'opinion' the 250 works 'well' everywhere, the 200 is best in really tight, the 300 is best open stuff. i never been on any bike that's better (ktm).

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
I can't resist!

Trade the twinkie for a pumpkin
Trade the strawberry for a blue berry
Trade the pickle for a Ho-Ho
Twinkie Suzuki
Pumpkin KTM
Strawberry Honda
Blueberry Yammie
Pickle Kawie
Ho-Ho VOR hey it's got the cream filling too!
CRG

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by Chris-NJ
Just wanted to tell you. in my 'opinion' the 250 works 'well' everywhere, the 200 is best in really tight, the 300 is best open stuff. i never been on any bike that's better (ktm).

Ahhh but you're forgetting the 380. I rode that beast of burden.

B

biglou

You wanna talk about HP to spare?!!

Agent Orange has a 2000 380EXC. 50+ HP in a 235lb. sled. Just dang scary for mere mortals like myself! I haven't ridden his in several months, which is about half of my riding career.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Whe I got back into this sport last year after a 15 lay-off I went to my local KTM dealer and test rode a 2000 380 EXC. After one lap I came back and asked if he had something that wouldn't scare the living fork oil out of me. Now today, I somethimes wonder if I should have taken the chance. Really bruteful of a bike. Power everwhere.

AgentOrange

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 18, 2000
Lou, congratulations on a great choice. I knew something was going on as soon as I saw you with the brochure Saturday!!! Now we can work through our jetting together.

Yarbonwick, if you are going to dirtweek, you are more than welcome to throw a leg over my 2000 380exc for a revisit.

Last edited:

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Okay but if you suddenly can't find me and don't see a White Dakota Quab Cab anywhere, you can keep the 250.:D

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
Originally posted by yarbonwick
Okay but if you suddenly can't find me and don't see a White Dakota Quab Cab anywhere, you can keep the 250.:D
He'll push your truck off a cliff and then while you are going to the bathroom in the port-o-potty he will take and duct tape the door shut and then chain and lock it up to make sure your not going anywhere. Watch out he's coming to get you!:silly:

Top Bottom