sgr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 14, 2000
SoCal
Lat Sunday I met some fellow DRN members (mtngoatand his friends, placelast and his 2 sons, ktmboy, RMjeff) at Big Bear for a trail ride. It was a beautiful warm day, and we had planned for a 35 mile ride. In the first 5 miles there were two pretty steep downhill sections with huge boulders and after watching some of the ones in front of me, I decided to walk my bike down the first one. The second one had a line I thought I could follow, and I did! Not too much further I caught up with the front of the group, waiting at the river. They were discussing the best lines to take and I was taking notes. The bottom of the crossing was sort of paved with 5 inch concrete blocks, set just far enough apart to grab your front tire. I was derermined to keep my tire on the blocks, and my feet on the pegs. HA! About halfway across my tire slipped into the groove and I put my foot down. Well, either there was no "down" or my foot slipped, because the next thing I knew, I was in the water and my trusty steed was getting a good drink. Mtngoat (ride leader) rescued my bike and I rescued myself. (How deep was it? Deep enough that when my bike was on it's side, it was under water. Dang!)
But...got to the other side and the guys held it up by the front tire and drained the water out of the tailpipe, took out the spark plug, took off the seat and got the water out of the air filter. In no time at all, (at least I wasn't dry yet) the bike was running and we were on with th ride. The trail we had planned to go on was closed, but the scenery to get there was great.
On the way back Mtngoat rode my bike through the watercrossing, hmmm... do ya think he didn't want to practice lifesaving twice in one day? :p
One of the guys (the French Canadian) had to help me get up the nasty section I rode down, but then I had no problem riding up the more difficult uphill that I had walked my bike down. Explain that.
It was a delightful day and I hope to get to ride there again. But "no swimming" next time.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Way to go :) As for riding up the tricky downhill, it's because a) you prefer uphills b) you'd walked down it and had picked a line while doing so (even without realising).

I hope the weather was warm enough so you didn't catch cold riding whilst damp. Glad someone knew what to do with a drowned bike :) Anyone get any pictures of the trip? It sounds like fun.

As for my ride, what a hoot! We went off (XR200 and me) at some stage, got told that we could do a half loop if we wanted, so thought we'd see how it was going. I really couldn't get into the rhythm, but had moments of inspiration along the way. I think the first problem we came to was a downhill with a root near the top (big root across the trail, just over the brow). Anyway, I saw it, worked out the line I wanted to take and went for it. The hill was sort of two in one, so on the fairly straight bit, I stopped to make sure the XR200 was going to be okay (stuff the bike, but I want my friend to keep riding, but don't want to name her). She struggled a bit with the root, ran off the trail and fell. We got her down to my bike, but the problem was I couldn't really get on the bike at that point, so just walked it down the rest of the hill. After riding about another 1/2 minute, we stopped for a break (I know it seemed pointless, but it was a safer spot than where we'd been).

Carried on pretty much without any incidents, until we got to an uphill. I took the wrong line (wide), which left me at a yuck angle to get down the hill on the other side. I looked at the downhill where the XR200 was poised above, and decided, stuff this, I'm not going down that. So we got back down, went to ride around the hill, got hopelessly lost, found the trail we'd been on already, carried on, got further lost, found the trail again and decided to just carry on as we were. All the way along I was thinking, we're going to get to this hill again, there's no way around it that I can see, I've got to get to the bottom of it, preferably in one piece. I can do this, sure I can. Anyway, finally got there, took the line I knew I wanted this time, dropped the front over and down I went, missing the tree on the side, stopping to see how XR200 was going to do it. She yelled at me to come back up & take her bike down, but I needed a pit stop real bad. I also decided if I did take it down, knowing my luck I'd stuff it up, so we just dragged it down.

The next downhill we came to we were unaware of until we were over & it was cool (Bbbom, your words came to me about doing something without thinking about it, much easier than if you do stop & think, totally agree). The next downhill I stuffed up big time. My bike stopped before I did, and all both of us could see was me heading straight for a tree head first. I was thinking, ah well, I can buy another helmet, but it's going to look dumb riding without a peak again, and I hope the chin bar stays together. XR200 was thinking, how are we going to explain this to the guys and where do I say Michelle is lying hehehe. Stopped just before the tree after eating heaps of dirt and pine needles. XR200 found another way down the hill, where again we bulldozed the bike down. While sitting there laughing about the incident, a couple of guys came along and asked if we were okay. We told them we were just waiting to see how the good riders did it, so one of them went around again and showed us while the other talked us through about body positioning, standing on the downhills (I'm not confident using the rear brake while standing). We got back, with the ambulance driver telling us "cool, I can go now, did I confuse you taking down the arrows before you'd come back hehe". Ian's real helpful sometimes, actually he often helps out after spending a day looking after us all (organised rides, not general trail riding). We got a lot of flak for taking our time, but it wasn't us that said we'd definitely do the small loop, we'd said we'd see how we felt. The main reason we got in trouble wasn't the time taken, but the fact that XR200's husband's bike had broken down and he wanted the XR to take arrows in - typical for him, even if we came back with a broken something we'd cop abuse if he needed the bike lol.
Michelle

Last edited:

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
I suppose that was Deep Creek, Sgr? That creek has lots of notches on its belt. Depending on the time of year, it can vary much in depth. I saw a kid on a YZ 80 completely disappear in it once -- while mounted. It would be a lot easier if not for the bricks you mentioned, I think.

As for the steep uphills, was the one you did make B---Buster? If so, congrats. That's a toughie, especially when it's dusty.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
SGR, at least you took it swimming in CLEAN water. Mine got dunked along with me in my NEW gear in a goo hole Mother's Day!!!

Michelle, glad to help!! Now if I can just get Karl's latest advice to become natural - momentum, momentum, momentum. I do okay with not thinking lately ;) but I don't keep enough speed up usually when I'm unsure and THAT seems to cause even more problems.

Karl, my son and I took a short ride Saturday and I got stuck halfway up a new hill with a nice slick clay base. I knew I didn't have enough speed the first time because I had slowed to make sure my son made it without CR500 knobbies on his back. He zipped up the hill, tight singletrack that had wet clay right where it made a quick turn to avoid a gully. I powered out, turned the bike around & went back to the bottom to get a better run at it. Got to the same spot and slowed too much, spinning the rear tire so I was done. Karl volunteered to ride it up for me because I was tired from trying to keep it from sliding back down the hill. So he flew up the hill and instructed me I need to use MOMENTUM to make it up.

So, we'll add THAT to the list of things to remember as I'm fearing for my life!!! I think it's goes just before "wheelie through the tight trees" on my things to DO list!!!! :p

Seriously though, I have found that the more I can keep my speed up, the easier it usually is to just bounce over the obstacles. Of course that also means that when I don't bounce over the obstacles, it hurts me and my bike A LOT more!!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I've been riding about 2-1/2 years and am the pits, but I have fun. Never, ever, ever wish to ride like me, Bbbom and SGR, yes, that I understand ;) I'm stubborn and determined to do everything on my own, but have learnt that I can't always, so have finally started getting help when needed ;)

Reading your post, I was envying you your ability, so I guess I really am going to have to come over one day to go for a ride so we can then all gauge each other's ability realistically (plus you'll get heaps of entertainment value from my mistakes). In the meantime, do the best you can, don't ride too far over your head and accept your limitations.

p.s. sorry if this posts twice, my internet connection got disconnected as I hit submit reply.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Sgr, you should know by now-- dirtbikes=dirt, JETskis=water! ;)
That is probably one of my biggest fears, going through a deep water crossing and tipping the bike. As short as I am, it doesn't take much to send me over, so if I have any doubts, I'll just walk the bike across. Glad to hear there was no major damage to your riding day!

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
KTMster,

This is my 3rd season on bikes, 2 nd season on my CR. Thanks for the compliment but I know I'm not at the level of SGR (I've read the stories - unfortunately I haven't had a chance to ride with her in person)! I hold my own on the trails through sheer determination and fortunately a good amount of physical strength (thanks mom ;)) but I am not fast by any means. I'd get roosted by the PW50's on a track. Heck I get roosted by my son on his KX60 anymore.

It helps that I am a very competitive person and not easily intimidated plus I do ride a lot since I have trails conveniently located out my door. Fortunately Karl is very talented rider and patient with me. He likes to push me and has more confidence in my riding than I do but, I trust him and his assessment of most situations. Of course that does not keep me from screaming loudly as I attempt to follow him where ever his newest challenge for me may be. But, I figure, he hasn't killed or maimed me yet and I have conquered some pretty intimidating obstacles so on to the next one.

I have found that riding with someone that can challenge you really helps. It can also be really frustrating when it seems that you are ALWAYS the one learning and always the least capable rider. That's when we usually take a break and regroup.

I agree with Michelle, from reading your posts you are doing great. Just keep challenging yourself within reason and it will start to feel more natural. I still get butterfly's in my stomach before I get on my bike, not sure if it's just an adrenaline rush or if I'm really nervous but I do feel em. If you have someone to ride with that can give you tips and pointers, that is a great help.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by bbbom
I still get butterfly's in my stomach before I get on my bike, not sure if it's just an adrenaline rush or if I'm really nervous but I do feel em.
Oh good, I thought it was just me! :) I think it's a combination of excitement and nervousness. I don’t get it as bad as I used to but I still get it.

Darla, I’ve ridden with bbbom and Sgr before and had a great time even though most of what I saw of them was their dust. You may get the opportunity to ride with Sgr too if we all meet up at Gorman sometime. Someday I would like the opportunity to ride with Michelle. Based on her ride reports she strikes me as a real tough as nails trooper. Heck I would be ecstatic to get the chance to ride with all the women of DRN!

I’m sorry, I but can’t resist, I just love this picture of Sgr conquering The Hill. Aside from a slight “boost” from Lastplace/placelast, she just charged right up this thing! That little bike of hers rocks.

Don’t worry Darla. I’ll make sure you get a chance to go up that same hill when we go for a ride at Gorman.

I think you’re really lucky to have someone like Nikki with so much riding experience to ride with. It must have paid off because you look great out there. I wish I could learn to have that kind of form. Eventually.

Sgr, sorry I missed your little swimming excursion. Maybe you should get an avatar just like Smitty’s. :) Glad you hear you had a great time. Kudos to you for toughing it out with those guys. Any pics?

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by gospeedracer

Oh good, I thought it was just me! :) I think it's a combination of excitement and nervousness. I don’t get it as bad as I used to but I still get it.

Darla, I’ve ridden with bbbom and Sgr before and had a great time even though most of what I saw of them was their dust. You may get the opportunity to ride with Sgr too if we all meet up at Gorman sometime.

Don’t worry Darla. I’ll make sure you get a chance to go up that same hill when we go for a ride at Gorman.

I wish I could learn to have that kind of form.

I still get butterflies in my stomach, but mostly before a race. I don't know why though, because I always tell myself that it is just a glorified trail ride.

Aimee, I'd love for you and Sgr to show me around Gorman. But, you ARE kidding about that hill, aren't you?:scream: STOP IT, you're scaring me. :) If you rode with bbbom & sgr before and mostly saw their dust, then I surely will. I remember stopping at the bottom of a hill & you went blazing right by me without a thought. I wish I had your courage.

You must be talking about my downhill riding form, right? :p

sgr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 14, 2000
SoCal
Well, finally got the pix picked upand much to my dismay they were double exposed, with a bachlorett party I went to in early May. :eek: But here is what I could salvage and I will update it as people identify themselves. When I ride, I am so busy staying upright I have a hard time remembering who people are.

And I don't think I got a pix of KTMboy so I'll have to manufacture something for him.:p

KTMster, gospeedracer, I get butterflys too, maybe that never goes away for some people. Michelle, bbbom, KTMster, LoriKTM, look forward to riding with you and proving that I do know the difference between dirt bikes and jet skis.
Big Bear pix

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Whoa, I don't remember being at Big Bear?? ;) That pic must have slipped in there from our Gorman ride.
Wow, it's really pretty up there. I would like to ride up there sometime. Let me know if you're ever up for another trip Augi. How long did it take you to get up there?

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
No ktmboy pix

sgr--I'm the 'ghost' to the far left in the very first picture. Ha, now I can still tell the other DRNers how handsome I am: no evidence!:p

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Hi sgr, just got back from vacation. Thanks for the pix. Submerging my boots seems to have improved their fit:) .
This came in handy last week when I went "solo-riding" (Dave & Yvo bailed on me and I just had to ride) on a remote single-track and my trusty XR died. Turns out I had used a non-factory O-ring on my fuel valve, which disintegrated and clogged the carb. Unable to repair, I ended up hiking three hours out of a remote canyon (them boots aren't made for walking). Finally caught a ride with a DR driver, whom I soon discovered was drunk as a skunk as I tried to keep us balanced on the back seat. My blisters are just starting to heal. Adding insult to injury; when I recovered the bike and my stashed gear, I discovered fire ants had taken up residence in my helmet. Thought you'd enjoy the story. I'll set the date for the next Big Bear ride in a few weeks.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
ohh man, mtngoat! I was cringing just reading it! I plan on riding up there with some others around August/September, hope to meet you then. :)

sgr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 14, 2000
SoCal
Yikes! :eek: mtngoat, sorry to hear about your experience. We don't have fire ants here do we? :scream: Great story.

One time on the Rubicon, my trusty XR100 died and I had to be towed many miles back to town. I would have rather walked... after being pulled through a deep mud puddle, with a big lip on the oppsite side that projected me forward about 10 feet, where I stopped myself by face planting into a boulder, in front of about 10 hikers as well as my riding buddies. :think No breaks, no blisters, no drunk drivers, no fire ants. :)

I'm looking forward to the next Big Bear ride. ( are you in any of the pix that survived? What about Stuntman Dave?)

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Sgr, in the group shot with you and Yvo, Dave is the third guy to your right. I remember you shot a pic with me, but I don't see me.

gospeed, please post or let me know when you're riding, if you'd like some trail suggestions or some local riders to bounce off.:)

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Mtn. Goat -- is enough time passed that I could say that that story sounds funny, looking back on it, without sounding callous?

ps -- kiddy ride comin'. And say hey to Dale. :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Duhh

Duhhouble post:confused:

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by LongTime
Mtn. Goat -- is enough time passed that I could say that that story sounds funny, looking back on it, without sounding callous?

LT. Funny, now funny was the look on your face while we were duct taping you back on your motorcycle.];)

Mtngoat. Now that story was scarey.:eek: Please keep us posted on the next ride up there.

Ms. Speedy. A brain fart at your age.:scream:

sgr. I think Deep Creek has gotten everyone at one time or another. A few years ago, I dropped my old trusty XR in there. The only thing sticking out of the water was it's poor little red hand grip. We fished it out and stood it up against a tree and let the water drain out. Put everything back together and tried to start it and it hydrauliced (is that a word?) again. The drain in the bottom of the air box was clogged, so, when I tried to start it again, it filled the cylinder with water.

Drained the air box and leaned the bike back up against the tree and did it all over again. Started right up and been running strong ever since.:D

Top Bottom