i want a digital camera but.....

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
all the ones i have tryed have that anoying delay when taking pics......example when taking photos of bikes jumping the bike leaves the ground i hit the button and 1-1/2 seconds later it takes the pic by now the bike has landed or almost......so my question is do any of the digital cameras not have that anoying delay when taking photos? the cameras i tryed were both this years model (nothing newer yet) and about $350-$475 i think one was a sony one was the nikon

confusedtech

Jul 26, 2006
sure there are faster digital cameras. I use a canon rebel xt and a 30d both of which are very fast.They are both dslr cameras(changable lenses). You will need something with an adjustable shutter speed(1/250 sec or faster) and a good fast lens.A rebel xti is a bottom line dslr but still very capable and they start around $550-$600. The lens you would have to decide if you want wide angle shots or close up but need to get the lowest f-stop number you can afford. 3-5 f-stop work fine in bright sunlight but if you want fast evening shots you will need to go 1.2-2 f-stop but then you are talking serious money. the rebel can take 3-5 shots per second and the 30d can take 5-8 sps

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
I know what you mean. That was one of the reasons why I decided to invest in a Digital SLR. Now that the Canon Rebel XTi is out, you can pick-up a Rebel XT (350D)for a good deal. I got mine (Body only) for $425.00 delivered with an extended warranty. I have seen them go for around $550.00 with lens. Sounds like a large chunk of change, but when you use it...you realize that the old saying is very true "you get what you pay for".

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Let me give you a heads up. Most digital cameras do not have a delay if operated correctly. The delay is usualy a result of the auto focus feature. Try pushing the button down part way and holding it to focus. When the image is ready to be taken, then push the button the rest of the way down. I think you'll find that it works just fine.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I use a FujiFinePix F10. It's pretty fast. You need to learn to pre-focus the camera. Select an object with similar lighting and distance as the jump and hold the camera button half way down. Then, when the jump happens, push it the rest of the way and the shot is instantaneous. Apparently, the F10 is old technology and can be had for $125 on Fbay. I paid $400 for mine a couple of years ago, it's a nice camera with a solid metal frame (none of that cheesy Chinese plastic).

The F10 is a decent pocket cam, it's a little fat. But, if you really want to take pictures the SLR is the only way to go.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The current generation of pocket digital cameras have really impressed me with their video quality. The F10 takes 640x480 videos, which is impressive. But, what really got me is the quality of sound these little cameras are getting, nowadays. If you get a new digital camera, look for one that can take 5+ pictures in rapid succession. You can combine the action portion of all of the pictures with the backround of one of the pictures. It makes for some really cool action shots, it's especially well suited to capturing jumps and wheelies.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Jeff Gilbert said:
The delay is usualy a result of the auto focus feature. Try pushing the button down part way and holding it to focus. When the image is ready to be taken, then push the button the rest of the way down. I think you'll find that it works just fine.
I have to agree, I have a 5 year old olympus C-700, and have learned to do this over the years with the pre-focus. heres some pics I took with it yesterday at Southwick. http://rides.webshots.com/album/559400246qioMqF
Not all great shots, but i'll delete some of them and add others as soon as I go through them all.

86endurochmp

Jun 19, 2007
I have had the same issues with my Canon Rebel Xti.

Incidentally, I had to search for this post. It doesn't appear under the Photography Forum. Do you have to have special permissions to post there?

Top Bottom