I want one.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I'm looking a getting a used trials bike but have not idea what I need. I don't what engine size would be right for me, what makes are good and bad. I can't find a decent website with used bikes for sale.

I'm 40 years old and have raced desert, GP's, enduros, hare & hounds and even a motocross race here and there. Now I want to take a stab at a trials bike for fun. I'm looking to spend no more than $2500 on a bike. Can I even find a decent bike for that?

So let's here you suggestions, tips, comments or whatever you have to offer. I'm a newbie to these seatless bikes so I need all the help I an get.

Thanks

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I was in your boat earlier this year. Keep searching. I did see a GASGAS last weekend locally for $2250. I'll see if it is still available and get the specifics.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Excellent Thumbs!!!
Yes you can easily get a good trials bike for $2500. Look for something 2000 or newer although a year or two older isn't a huge deal on something like a Montesa, Beta or Sherco. Montesa is HRC and in my option they don't age as rapidly as some of the others. Beta will have a left side kick start which might be odd for you. Beware of the early GasGas Pro models, very light and not real bulletproof. If you find a clean 200cc or a well used 250cc machine the 200 would be the much better choice but 250 and larger size bikes will be more plentiful with little weight penalty. For sure look for a local club, they will typically have good leads on bikes as well as a great source to learn the in's and out's or dabs and zaps.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
Thumbs, where are you located? I know of quite a few bikes for sale here in New England.

Nov 2, 2007
Got one yesterday

Thumbs, I too...got the trials bug a few years back but never really made a big effort in finding a used one since I figured I wouldn't ride it if I had it. Well...the itch never went away, so I started looking. I ended up with a 2004 Beta 250, (bought it yesterday) and spent today riding it.

To make a long story short, only now can I understand how riding a trials bike can and will, make you a much better all round off road rider. I had no idea it was this hard, to go slow. I'm more tired and sore right now than I was after my last HS 2 weeks ago. Good luck locating a bike and when you do, don't hesitate, just buy it. I wish I would have gotten one sooner!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Link is no good Thumbs.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
:cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Nope. It seems the link breaks down after a period of time. How about just a description & price?

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
2004 Gas Gas 280-Pro
New chain and sprockets
Rear tire needs to be replaced soon
Bike is said to be in great shape.

Owned by Gary LaPlante so I would think that the bike has had the proper service.

$2900

A good buy?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My personal choice would be for a Montesa or Scorpa but that's a pretty good price on a good bike. Shoot for $2500 it ya' can. A new rear Michelin will run about $100.

Krabill

May 10, 2006
See . . . I'd rather have a GasGas than either the Montesa or Scorpa, but that's just me.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I just still have vivid memories of the first run of Pro's, man that was ugly. They are much better now but I'm old and set in my ways :)

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Great you get one and I'd love to try it out. it always looked like fun.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…