I washed it! (with *ehm* a clean hosting site this time)

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Here's the KDX after a cleaning today. The local Yamaha shop sells some sort of "purple something" cleaner that will not only remove all the dirt, tar, grease, etc...it'll take about 4 layers of your epidermis with it unless you rinse 3 times. Seriously...rinse 3 times or it eats your skin... ;)

I still have to install the new clutch and brake levers, install the new grips, and mount the new tires, but it's close to being ready...
1998KDX220-20.JPG

The KDX replaced my previous ride, which used to look like:
fcdc4e7a.jpg

but now it looks like:
1998YZ250-11.JPG

As you can see, I have a few parts for it. Now all I need to do is install the clutch parts, mount the new tires, clean the air box, install the new filter, swap the Cycra tank for the OEM, install the new levers, install the new grips, install the bark busters, mount the plastic, and connect the silencer (after I'm done repacking it) yeah...I'll be ready by Saturday :whoa:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
mandark1967 said:
Here's the KDX after a cleaning today. The local Yamaha shop sells some sort of "purple something" cleaner

If the "purple something" is Castrol Purple Power do not allow that stuff to come in contact with anything aluminum on the bike such as engine case, swing arm, triple clamps and the like. That stuff will stain and oxidize aluminum if left for too long.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
now I'm a self-proclaimed KDX-ophobe, and know little to nothing about the bikes (by choice) but I gots a querstion for ye:

What's the little doohickey above the radiator shroud?

Attachments

• what the.JPG
    what the.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 393

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
CaptainObvious said:
If the "purple something" is Castrol Purple Power do not allow that stuff to come in contact with anything aluminum on the bike such as engine case, swing arm, triple clamps and the like. That stuff will stain and oxidize aluminum if left for too long.

It's not Castrol. I remember distinctly that the salesperson said not to use the castrol stuff

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
XRpredator said:
now I'm a self-proclaimed KDX-ophobe, and know little to nothing about the bikes (by choice) but I gots a querstion for ye:

What's the little doohickey above the radiator shroud?

ehm...that's the spark plug wrench :)

I did a compression test on it and got the wrench dirty so I washed it on the bike :laugh:

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
Thats one clean looking bike. Have fun with all the wrenching.

Yeah I'll have a blast rebuilding the YZ. I'm letting Jeremy and Brandon at MX-Tech do the suspension because I cannot locate the proper springs for my fat butt.

Other than that, I'll be doing the whole restoration...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
so you have to carry a spark plug wrench with you everywhere you ride?

That seems rather high-maintenance . . . ;)

020905d.jpg

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
mandark1967 said:
Yeah...I'm always running into Katoom riders who need help... :nener:
ZING

kmccune

2-Strokes forever