I went to The Place

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
Now, let me preface this report by saying I'm not that good of a rider. I think I'm a good rider, but I'm really not. But I like to ride challenging trails and that's where things can get a little tricky.

The Place is a "trail" that follows a usually-dry creekbed in a rocky canyon and supposedly, people have ridden their dirtbikes in there. I had seen the entrance once when placelast took me there last Christmas. It looked intimidating then, yet also a bit alluring.

So yesterday after work, my brother and I headed up to Gorman to do a little exploratory trail riding. We decided to check out The Place first while we were still fresh. The trail that lead to the creek was fun, if a little rocky, and soon the dirt turned to water. Low-hanging branches and small boulders impeded progress, but we made our way up slowly, oftentimes off our bikes.:confused:

Here's a pic of my brother struggling to find traction on a submerged rock:
http://groups.msn.com/JakesPicturePage/dirtbikes.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=205

This is only about a fraction of a mile in and we're already taking a break. It looks like my brother is taking a leak into the creek, but rest assured, he is not:
http://groups.msn.com/JakesPicturePage/dirtbikes.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=206

We got hung up on a couple of tallish rocks, but this section made us turn around:
http://groups.msn.com/JakesPicturePage/dirtbikes.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=207

It doesn't look like much (probably isn't to any good rider), but it's steeper and more abrupt in real life:). I wanted to keep going, but my brother wasn't having any of it. (At least, that's what I'll tell you guys) The sun was starting to set so I relented and we headed back. Though we covered just a few short tenths of miles;), it was a lot of fun and I intend to revisit The Place soon.

If any of you good riders have suggestions for conquering tough, rocky trails, I'm all ears. Better yet, let's go there and you can show me.:thumb:

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Great pics, Jake! Nice bike, can I ride it? I figure between you and bratt, I'll get to try one out one of these days.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Awesome photos ... that's "the Place" alright ! Isn't that a blast !

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Nope .. your pics are of Snowy Trail. Nice pics too.

The entrance to "The Place" is fairly close to the entrance for Tataviam Trail.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Cool pics!

I've been in there with placelast, Kiwi, Eel, & I think thumbs & MrLuckey. There were others there as well, but can't remember who. Only time I've ever rode at Gorman.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Jake,

Borrow a trials bike. That place looked neat. Then you can just hop over the rocks. :)

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
We went in pretty far one time but it was getting dark ... maybe someday soon we should a particularly brave group together and see how far in we can get ... wouldn't that be memorable ... au carnage !

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by the Eel
We went in pretty far one time but it was getting dark ... maybe someday soon we should a particularly brave group together and see how far in we can get ... wouldn't that be memorable ... au carnage !

Set it up! :thumb:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Don't forget to bring your space blankets and flares. Have fun.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
We went a ways past the area where you stopped ... that was one of the hardest spots to pass for sure - it almost stopped us too but we were gluttons for punishment that day ! Your front wheel was against the bottom of the incline in front of you and your rear wheel was practically against the bottom of the incline behind you ... and it was wet and muddy .... extremely difficult to get any momentum up the slope. We went about another 1/8 of a mile past that section ... the rocks got easier but the water got deeper ! We've got to go back !

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by Farmer John

Set it up! :thumb:

I'm game. Since I didn't get that job in Torrance my wife has taken a temp job with her old company and is moving to LA May 17th. I'll be going to LA every couple of weekends so if a bike just happens to be in the back of my truck I could be persuaded to stop at Gorman ;)

Brian

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
How about May 30th or 31st ? Saturday or Sunday ?

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
What, are you guys serious? You're gonna make me go back there? Awesome, let's do it.:thumb:
Eel, you know exactly where I was! Looking at the picture though, it looks like an XR50 could have gone up it.

Originally posted by Jonala
Borrow a trials bike.

Thanks for the offer, John. So, you're bringing yours down at the end of May, right?:laugh:

You can ride my bike anytime, Natalie.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
You're right .... it is much worse than the picture makes it look .. we had to get assists to get our bikes up it ... except for PlaceLast that is ... he wouldn't accept help and eventually got up it by himself !

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Is this a open call? I would like to give it a go.

How deep is the water? I sucked water in my bike twice last weekend at Deep Creek. It was at least knee high.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Jeff ... of course you're in if you want in !

A big group would be ridiculous though ... what do you all think ?

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Let me know when the time comes. If you feel theres enough room I will come up.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Again, if there's room, I may take a drive up there to ride with you guys.;) Post the date in the SoCal forum and like Jeff said, if there isn't too many peeps, we might like to go.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…