Ibuprofen and dirtbikes a bad mix?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Sorry, guys. It's been a while since I've been back to this post.

The above "references" from Deaconess and Mass General are called 'block" advice. When people call in to ask "professional" advice, oftentimes the doc will "throw in the towel" on the specifics and give general information. Not only will they give general information, but they will look for ways to give "defensive" information in order to prevent any harm possible in case the information should disseminate diffusely. In other words, the terms "clinically meaningful" or "clinically important" are left out.

The effect of Ibuprofen on "blood thinning" or "bleeding time" is negligible. I have never seen a case of excessive bruising or cutaneous bleeding in patients on Ibuprofen, and it is, in fact, used pre-, intra- and o/w perioperatively for pain control all the time. (ie, when huge intraabdominal wounds have been created with a scalpel)

For instance, when I do a renal biopsy, I do not prohibit the use of NSAIDS in general prior to the biopsy, but make them hold aspirin for 7 days prior. This is also confirmed by a test called the "bleeding time", where a small cut is made in the skin and the time to clot it off is measured. Ibuprofen has little effect, whilst aspirin (among others) affect it markedly.

So just trust me, that "general" adivice given does NOT apply here. Ibuprofen will NOT significantly affect platelet function, and certainly not to the point of massive, unexpected bruising. Feel free to take it before and after riding. No big deal for most of you guys and gals.

And someone asked what kind of MD I was. I'm a Nephrologist--sort of an "internist" of the kidneys, perform dialysis, apheresis (plasma exchange), kidney biopsy, treat acute and chronic kidney failure and manage hypertension (high blood pressure).

I just finished training 2 years ago at UCSD (San Diego), and currently am "paying off" my home state for sending me to Medical School, although I might just stay here. :)

Best wishes.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
If you can talk your doc into Celebrex, go for it. My bro-in-law conducted the patient trials on this stuff.

I too have eaten ibuprofen by the handfull over the last 11 years. This past year I laid off of it due to possible long term side effects. An injury dating back to February finally sent me to the doc for some drugs as message and stretching was not letting my piroformus (sp?) muscle release. Since it wraps around a big bundle of nerves, I have been in alot of pain.

A Flexaril at bedtime and a Celebrex in the morning has the thing under control for now.

I crashed my bicycle in the rain on Tuesday and took it pretty hard on the hip bone on solid concrete. The bruising was normal as best I can tell. The Celebrex only attacks the "bad" enzyme associated with the inflamation, not the "good" as I have been told and does not have the liver/kidney/stomach bleeding side effects of the other drugs mentioned. Not sure how this effects platelet production 'cuz I ain't no doctor (just like to play one).;)

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by IBWFO
Propel also has Pottasium in it and some other minerals. I have had buddies take Niacin and they couldn't ever find the right dosage.
Propel has worked for me, so I'll stick with it.
Try it sometime and tell me what ya think.
Regards

I tried your Proel method!!
I did get a slight pump in the morning, but a rested for 15 minutes and then went back out. I rode my @ss off yesterday and I GOT NO ARM PUMP!!!
I will try again tomorrow and see if it's just me or actually Propel.
Now my whole body is tired because I have never rode that hard for that long because of arm pump.
Thanks for the tip!!:D

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
COOL! I have got most of my buds on Propel too. I really need to suck down 3/4 before my first ride for it to really work. Once I ride the first moto or practice my arm-pump is usually gone anyway. Now if it would just quit raining here and dry out so I can ride my new 02 CR 250!

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
BUT! if my scabs and bruises heal to quickly, I get less sympathy time from my girlfriend while I lay up on the couch and watch Motoworld while she brings me cool drinks and massages my swollen/aching limbs.:p

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
excellent point :)

Top Bottom