markymark77

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 4, 2002
Well Im still wondering what this thing can really do and if all the claims can be backed up with some real world data :eek: .

Are there any Supercross teams running the iCat on their bikes?

It sure seems interesting but I dont intend on being added to the list of suckers who may have bought into the hype without further research.

Is this the Roost Boost of the new milenium? :yeehaw:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Try a search

At the bottom of the page you will find "Search This Thread"
Type in "icat" and hit "go" :clue:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Rich, Markymark was part of that thread and he's sent other's to it on another forum. Markymark what exactly are you looking for? Someone else to tell you that even though it show's no improvement on the dyno you absolutely need one? You've been asking on several different forums. Bottomline so far Dyno show's nothing, some folks feel it's worth it, is it the placebo effect? The only way your going to find out for yourself is to pony up the coin and put one on your scoot.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
To add to the comments-the dyno isnt last word in performance monitoring, however its a uselfull tool and even simple jetting changes show changes in power on the dyno-the icat was designed as a device to clean up emmisions on fork lift trucks-imo thats what its good at.It also should not be $250.If other performance parts were $50 i believe the iCAt would be the same.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Chili said:
Rich, Markymark was part of that thread and he's sent other's to it on another forum.

:ohmy: Thanks Chili

markymark77

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 4, 2002
Ummm there were recent changes to this forum and I didnt locate the old thread till after my post.MY BAD! PLEASE DONT TELL MOM! I searched other forums for possible answers but did direct others to this site for the best possible location for answers.I asked 1 question on MOTOTALK about possibly having further more detailed testing.There was also an iCAT PUMPER on another forum (Canadian Distributor of some sort) who basically pumped this thing up infomercial style and thats where I directed others to this site.Am I on trial here? Try not to lose any sleep over it. These are not stupid questions and I think many are interested in the product and DONT wanna fork out the money untill they are certain its worth it.

Last edited:

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
A pro over in England tested it and that guys mechanic is super anal about jetting. The rider went out and said he did not feel anything. Does that mean us mere novices can't get any help from it. Don't know. My review was not meant as an info mercial but a post that would be informative to others without having to read lots of smaller posts like "I just got this and will try this weekend"..."I rode with it but it was rainy so I am not sure yet".... "My uncle says this or that and then we will try it"...
So if you want to read these type of posts I will lead you down my Kickstarter journey or you can wait and read the end result of all the hardship I have gone through on it.
The things are suppose to be $200 not 250 so don't buy from that person. ICAT USA is also working to get the price lowered to the $120 area.

sweetjeep

Sep 16, 2003
Hey folks.. I didn't try the iCat. But I did get a Nology HotWire and coil.

The Nology wire is about $37 and WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! I noticed pretty signifigant gains throughout the RPM.

In short: The engine felt "very clean" throughout. As if I was running on race gas, but wasn't. ;)

I can't speak for iCat.. but I (honestly) won't hesitate to buy the Nology 100 times over!!

I can't write more now.. but if anyone is curious.. let me know and I can post more.

It is currently on my 03 250 SX.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
sweetjeep said:
I can't write more now.. but if anyone is curious.. let me know and I can post more.

I can't wait. :cool:

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Sweet jeep you say the wire is $37 but how much is the coil? Did you try just the wire? Or did you test with both? Did you ride the bike on different days or ride it stock and switch over at the track for a back to back comparison? Just curious.

sweetjeep

Sep 16, 2003
Elf: I admit.. Nology gave me the wire and coil. But the general going rate for the wire is about $37. I think the coil is around $60, I don't honestly remember. The prices are very reasonable at any rate. For the record, I am NOT affialiated with Nology.

I did try running with just the wire, but not just the coil. Honestly, I didn't notice a huge difference when running just the coil. It was a little better and a little crisper with the coil, but the wire made a huge difference.

As well, I only have about an hour and a half on the bike with the Nology parts. But it wasn't a slight difference or any kind of "well.. maybe it's working". It was very clear and obvious.

I had ridden the bike all season in the configuration it was in and put the wire and coil on before I went to the track and did some woods riding. So I was very familiar with the track and how the bike worked on the that track.

I haven't done any back to back comparisions, since that day it's been cold and snowy! (Stupid Massachusetts Winter)

Here is a slightly shortened review I made for another site on the product.. Again.. I am not affialiated with Nology in any formal or informal way. I just wanted to try this thing and made appropiate arrangements.

This is a review for the Nology Hotwire and ProFire Coil. I did this on my 03 KTM 250 SX.

You can see their web page directly at:
Hot Wire: http://www.nology.com/hot.html
Pro Fire Coil: http://www.nology.com/profire.html

They offer all the real fancy technical stuff you want to know.

The end result is VERY impressive!

What I felt running the bike was the same feeling you get while running race or av gas. Unfortunately, you don’t get the cool smell. But the end result seems to be the same.

The bike runs incredibly smoothly. It pulls harder than stock, revs quicker and simply, all around, runs better.

I tested this stuff on my regular practice track so I know the track and I know my bike on the track. When exiting corners it would pull more cleanly and smoothly. Right from idle to redline.

In the soft deep sand I tend to go in a gear high and bog the bike. This setup made a huge difference here. Going through the sand I was able to bring the bike back to life much quicker and, again, it pulled very hard out of the sand.

On the track, I give it a 9.5 out of 10. Nothing can be perfect you know!

I also took it trail riding where it made more of a difference than I can hope to explain! The trail guys should REALLY REALLY take a look at this thing. My SX isn’t a really happy machine unless it’s got a good scream going on. It runs down low but over long periods of slow trail riding it gets “gummy” and every opportunity I get to clean it out, I do. Even once I fixed the jetting, it’s still just not happy at constant low rpm. Running this setup I never once had the problem. The bike was nearly instantly clean when I hit a straightaway where I could really open it up. I could just come out of the trail on idle and pin it. Less throttle lag than I have every felt and no hiccups on the way.

Riding in the sand pits was nice. You could sit and idle while watching someone and there was virtually no need to clean it out before you got going again. Just hit the gas and go.

Trail Rating: 9.5 out of 10.

Overall this is an outstanding setup. I think the majority of the gains come from the Hot Wire. The coil is NOT essential for the wire to work right!

Problems I had:
1) The directions are poor at best. Granted this isn’t rocket science, but this is an area I am not real strong in, and better directions would have been nice.
2) The coil didn’t exactly fit in the stock location. I used one bolt on the coil and a couple of zip ties. No big deal. I will just have to make a bracket.
3) The Hot Wire is -huge-. You can cut it down quite a lot. From the factory it’s about 20” long. You are supposed to cut off what you don’t need, but you can only cut it down to about 12”. The distance from the coil to the plug on my bike is about 5”. So that’s a little annoying. But a small price.
4) When I first started the bike it ran like absolute complete and total garbage for about 45 seconds. I don’t know why. I SPECULATE it’s because all the electronics needed to “make friends”, the coil/wire may have needed to build a charge, I don’t know. But be aware. It was scary. Like I said though, in about 45 seconds, all was well again and the engine was instantly better.

Overall, I very strongly suggest you get at least the wire!!

I got mine directly from Nology. Their sales guy (Jeff) was very cool and very helpful. Let him know I sent you.

Otherwise give Nology a call directly. Jeff the sales guy is very cool and knows his stuff.
1-800-NOLOGY-1

Hot Wire price: about $37 (depends slightly on your bike)
Coil: About $70 (depends slightly on your bike)

Summary: As far as I can tell these are pure benefit and no drawbacks!!

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
On my bike I had the icat with the Electrex cdi and coil combo. I had started the bike off the stand with the tank off and saw lots of shorting from the ht wire Electrex provided. I switched it out with the stock coil and cdi and no shorting came about.
I wonder if the nology wire is just very well insulated and that sweetjeep's original ht wire was shorting on him. Incidentially the Electrex unit without the icat made no shorting. I contacted the icat company and a rep came by to see it for himself. He was definately going to tell the scientist who made the icat. However, the ht wire on the electrex is not even rubbery, more like cheap plastic and could not be changed out with a good quality wire since it was encased in the hard gel of the electrex unit.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
tedkxkdx said:
I wonder if the nology wire is just very well insulated and that sweetjeep's original ht wire was shorting on him.

:thumb: Give that man a prize. :thumb:

stimps

Jun 25, 2003
I've got one on mine and rate it. There is a definite difference certainly not placebo. Much more difference than fitting my FMF sst. From a closed throttle it just fires back to life so much cleaner. does it compensate for non perfect jetting, maybe. All I know is the power is much easier to feed in now and what was previuosly a very pipey motor is now real nice to ride. Got it for next to nothing so have no reason to keep it on there except I like it. Borrow one and try it for yourself.

Top Bottom