Idle changes on steep descents

beebin

Jul 30, 2006
I like to put my '95 kdx200 in neutral when descending steep hills so I don't accidentally lock up my back wheel and stall out the bike.

When I do, the idle drops down to the point it almost stalls. Once I get back on level ground, it returns to normal.

Anyone know why this is and what I can do fix it?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
It is probably due to the angle of the carb and the location of the primary jet. It could be flooding itself out. Try adjusting the float height.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
Probably because the fuel level in the float bowl is greatly affected by the steep angle. Not much you can do about that, except to use a different descent technique. BTW, the kdx doesn't have much engine braking, so I think locking up your rear isn't all that likely. I'd be more worried about overrevving the engine.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
I like feathering the clutch in different gears depending on speed of decent and traction
variances.

beebin

Jul 30, 2006
I end up mashing the back break which locks the wheel and abruptly stops the engine. Not sure why I think this isn't good for the motor but it seems like something I shouldn't do if I can prevent it.

Since there isn't much engine breaking, there isn't much advantage to leaving it in gear. Not having to worry about what gear I'm in or shifting to keep a reasonable rpm seems to make sense me. Maybe I'm missing an appropriate technique or control by putting it in neutral. Once I'm at the bottom, it's easy to get into 2nd and get going.

These hills I'm talking about are like 100-500 feet at an angle steep enough that I couldn't keep the bike from accelerating if I used the front or rear break alone (Carnegie in No. Cal. if you know it). Keeping in control just seems easier in neutral.

Is there a better way?

04kdx200

Mar 30, 2005
Keep working the throttle a bit.... I also have the same problem, but I keep mine in gear. When my bike stalls, I just "pop" the clutch, and Waa-Laa ! Bike is restarted.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Maybe you should have your compression checked. Sure if you are in 4th gear there
might not be much engine breaking but on steep grades this technique comes in handy
as it does in hard braking right hand turns. If your not using it to your advantage, you might consider a Recluse clutch, that way the only way you can stall is if you push the kill switch.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
As establised above, the fuel level changes and the bike will basically flood itself out, that's the idle speed change.

As for technique, well that varies from rider to rider. I like to decend with mine in gear, working the rear brake and clutch to keep the back tire just churning, not locked. I use that method because I have found hills with deep washouts or dropoffs that require a quick burst of throttle to keep from endoing. Hard to gas out of something in neutral!

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
My KDX does the same thing. It will change idle going down hills all the time. I used to ride a 4 stroke which would not stall under any circumstance, so the KDX took some getting used to. Like a lot of others, I keep the bike in 1st gear and just feather the clutch if it starts to stall. I like to have it in gear because a lot of times, you will have to gas it to get over or around stuff, even going down steep hills. I would play around with keeping it in gear and working the clutch...it really works well! Plus, it does provide a little bit of engine braking...not much though. Good luck!

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Downhills at Carnegie in neutral is scary. I usually use 2nd or 3rd with the clutch pulled in. If I need a bit of engine braking, or to help steer, I let the clutch out about halfway. Staying in neutral can be dangerous because the freewheeling effect can create a runaway condition. Being in a gear will give the ability to help control a sideways slide to stop on the side of the hill. As stated above, with all of the rocks at Carnegie, it is usually necessary to accelerate around obstacles on descent. Tough to do in neutral!

captbly99

May 30, 2005
Green Hornet said:
Leave it in gear

Yeah, I like to leave it in gear. Seems to scary to leave it in neutral on purpose.

I have accidentally bumped it into "N" a few times and it kinda freaked me out. Kind of a "ghost rider" feeling.

Good luck.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Don't put it in neutral! Pull in the clutch and use the brakes.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…